Author Topic: waxing technique  (Read 4984 times)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: waxing technique
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 05:05:48 AM »
Toolate, I get the small bead in their stickiest option. I think it feels great underfoot and if you’re laying or on you knees, it’s not uncomfortable. And like I said, long term durability still yet to be determined for me. I’d love for someone else to try this stuff and give some feedback. $30 will do an 8’ board. I’d suspect if it started to get a bit too slippery, you could then just peel off that panel and put a new one down.

Cowboy. Haha! Poor and cheap, maybe? No, I guess like everyone else I was always on a search for something in between having a pad and having to use wax all the time. So I’m giving this a try to see.

Big! Please do!

Toolate, I have the van der wall stuff also. I don’t want to talk bad about it, but the shit ate me up and was not very grippy for me. I have $100 worth of the stuff now sitting on a shelf. Wonderfully nice people, kinda why I hate to be negative. But it just didn’t work for me.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »
is that WanderWaal the old or new formula?

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
is that WanderWaal the old or new formula?

Not sure. I got mine a year ago Xmas

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »
ah i think they made a new formula not yet out that adresses that issue

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
I got a new SUP with no deck pad. I followed this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je4jRlOJM94
used sticky bumps base and wax coats
But after just one session today (and a cool day for Hawaii ; 70's) the area where i stand was pretty much wax free....
Any pointers to make the wax last longer than a session?

You'll get better long lasting bumps IF you apply hard base coat wax first and make the base coat extra THICK in the areas you paddle and stand when surfing. After the base coat then follow with softer wax. Having said that, I don't miss having wax melting and getting all over everything and melt inside the board bag and get on the bottom of my board and slow it down, blah, blah, blah. The BEST deckpad I have used by far is the FCS dimpled stuff. Nothing else comes close for stickiness. NOTHING. It's super thin, light, and it's closed-cell so it doesn't suck up water like most deckpads. It's thin and super dense so it does an amazing job of protecting your deck from caving in and delaminating. I can have my board on one rail at a 45 degree angle and if I fall off it's because I lost my balance but it's NEVER because my feet slipped. The FCS deckpads are expensive but I get mine wholesale from one of the founders of FCS. I saw an Infinity recently with an OAM deckpad and it looked like they copied the FCS dimples so you can check them out too. OAM's are expensive too but with the new dimpled top they are probably the best because they have the best kick pads with a built-in arch. The one downside is that the kick pad included with the FCS's doesn't have the arch thingee so I think I'll try gluing something on first to create an arch with my next board.

Not really, that's the reason most people use deck pads. Wax is fine if you're not standing in one place most of the time, but if you do, then you get bare spots. RSPRO hexatraction works well--just put them right where you get the bare spots. You'll have to strip your wax first, but once they are set you can wax right over them and the wax stays in place much better.

had heard some mixed reviews on the hexapro but you like it?

I bought a board from a guy a couple years ago and he spent several hundred dollars on Hexatraction and it didn't feel secure at all for me for surfing so I pulled it off and put on a deckpad. Hexatraction works great on the nose though, but a much cheaper alternative is that clear spray-on traction that Rustoleum and Krylon makes that's for spraying exterior stair treads. I haven't used the Rustoleum brand but I have used Krylon and I really like it on the nose. Both brands come in a regular spray can and for about $5 you can do the nose of 5 or 6 boards. You can buy it at Home Depot or Ace. Actually, if you're okay with Hexatraction over the entire board then you might want to try the spray-on stuff instead.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 06:20:30 AM »
The clear sprays, like Monster Traction, offer great grip, but keep in mind that if you should fall on, or are brushed by that surface you will loose some skin.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:42 AM »

I bought a board from a guy a couple years ago and he spent several hundred dollars on Hexatraction and it didn't feel secure at all for me for surfing so I pulled it off and put on a deckpad. Hexatraction works great on the nose though, but a much cheaper alternative is that clear spray-on traction that Rustoleum and Krylon makes that's for spraying exterior stair treads. I haven't used the Rustoleum brand but I have used Krylon and I really like it on the nose. Both brands come in a regular spray can and for about $5 you can do the nose of 5 or 6 boards. You can buy it at Home Depot or Ace. Actually, if you're okay with Hexatraction over the entire board then you might want to try the spray-on stuff instead.

I put Versatraction (kind of like Hexatraction - an earlier one) on the nose of my Pearson Laird noserider but I slipped on it sometimes (especially if you get sunscreen on it), so I just sprayed Krylon non-skid (from Home Depot) on top of the Versatraction (rather than removing it) - problem solved.  I also sprayed it on gaps in the traction on the nose of my Takayama - works well.

Every once in a while I re-apply the Krylon.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:23:36 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
The clear sprays, like Monster Traction, offer great grip, but keep in mind that if you should fall on, or are brushed by that surface you will loose some skin.

Yes, two or three coats of Krylon will produce a surface similar to 220 grit sandpaper.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal