Author Topic: Advice needed on travel with large iSUP bag  (Read 2307 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice needed on travel with large iSUP bag
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:34:33 PM »
  As I'm getting ready to travel by air with iSUP, I'm wondering if I should do any extra precautions steps. New to me SIC Air Glide Bullet came with a large carrying bag. Question is: is it travel bag? I'm planning to check it in;  and worry about all these bells and whistles (shoulder straps, waist strap, bungee etc ) would be damaged/torn/etc. I've seen people use stretch wrap on luggage while traveling, but I think it looks awful...
  I also wonder if should pack my belongings in the same bag and make it more stuffed as it has a lot of "space ". But I don't wanna make it too heavy and made handles tear off easier... At the same time, I don't wanna make it looks too big..

I remember someone suggested to use regular luggage. I this case I'm not sure how I'm gonna carry the board from the room to the landing spot (hopefully I can launch right off the hopel's beach, but it's not guaranteed). There is no way I'm going to the beach with large Samsonite on a daily basis :D (already giggling as I'm typing it)   

Bag in question image attached. 

Almost forgot: should I stick 3 piece travel paddle in the same bag or I have to take it with me as carry-on item? Problem is, I also have travel rod in hard case..  :o  //tooManyToys

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on travel with large iSUP bag
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
Is there a pocket there in the back of the bag that the shoulder straps will tuck into? It looks like there might be. That would streamline the bag a lot.

There is no simple answer to this question. But generally:

Yes, the bag is intended for travel. Take the board in the bag.

Yes, put clothes, towels etc around the board to protect it, up to your weight limit.

Put the paddle in the middle of the folded up board if you can, and make sure the tops and bottoms of the segments are protected (I use bubble wrap plus towels).

You might want to put the pump in your main luggage rather than the board bag. If the pump breaks, you are stuffed.

Carriers will destroy your stuff no matter now many precautions you take.

I wrap/tie roof racks straps around my bag to streamline, keep everything in and secure.

Take an iSUP repair kit with you.

Mostly you can just check in your board like any other piece of luggage, assuming it’s under the max weight.

Good luck! The bags often come back a bit worn or torn. It’s worth considering the quality of the bag when buying a board.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
I've traveled with Red bags and Starboard bags. Both have performed well. Any bag will get banged up by the conveyer belts and handlers.

Along with the suggestions from Area 10, pull the shoulder straps tight and tie the ends together so they can't catch on anything. (I don't think your SIC bag has a pocket for the shoulder straps to hide in.)

I also like to roll the board around my pump, keeps it snug, and then you can also stuff clothes or towels in the open spaces at each end.

Have a great trip!
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
Thank you guys, great suggestions!

Looks like I'm able to combine the paddle and fishing rod in one bag. Would it be accepted as a carry-on item? It's 34" by 12" by 3" and light... Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into other luggage so I either take to cabin either pack into the board luggage and I really don't want to do that... 

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
just got back from Key Largo and took two inflatables with us on the plane.

Area 10 has it down.  One thing we did not do was bring a manual pump.  We knew we would be renting a car so we could explore different areas and brought an electric with us as part of my carry on, with some clothes filling out the sup bag.  For reference a 12-6 gusu two paddles and two changes of shorts and t shirt came in at 43 pounds. 

Have fun. 

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

We just came back and the soft iSUP bag made 2 flights totaling 3 loads/unloads (on the way back we had to deplane and luggage moved to the different plane) with minimal damage. There is a flat pocket where all shoulder straps were easily stored for travel.  I'm very pleased. Same goes for the board itself. I wrapped it with beach towels. A single roof rack strap kept the board from unrolling. Then I placed this cocoon (with pump, leashes inside and flip flops as top/bottom lids) into another duffel bag that was then strapped inside the SIC bag.  I actually used this duffel bag to get everything from the room to the beach. I put the paddle into another luggage as TSA would probably not let me have it as a carry-on item (rules say "No" to kayak oars/paddles, but there is nothing about SUP paddles, but I decided not to gamble). I might put it into the same luggage with a board next time as it's tall enough to accommodate the paddle's length.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Glad you had a good time on your trip. That is what iSUPs are for.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal