Author Topic: Is Coreban still in business?  (Read 3815 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Is Coreban still in business?
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:23:44 PM »

An email addressed to the website's North American market contacts came back as undeliverable.

Not to mention the general lack of them for sale online.

Maybe I'm behind the times on Coreban news...     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is Coreban still in business?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
They are a South African company, so try contacting them “at home”. They may have changed distributors, or not even have one in the US any more.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »
I think the original owner is now Signature Foils.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:06:25 AM »
Nicki Carstens was the shaper for them.  I think he started how own brand as stated above, Signature.  Before the foils he started another line of stand ups, Signature, which I guess now has a foil line too.  Since I heard of him starting signature, I never heard much about coreban after that.

http://signaturesurf.com/sup-series/

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »

Well... RIP Coreban then.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
I bought my Coreban Icon from a Coreban rep who was unloading all his demo boards. Mine was basically brand new. That was 2017.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
Signature makes some pretty hot foils, they seem to be the foil of choice for most of the prone foilers on Maui, and several of the downing SUP folks as well. High aspect, very efficient-looking wings. I watched Skeeter riding one in the nutty conditions in the harbor. She was trying to pump it, then suddenly she stopped and just let it run. I think she realized that pumping it wasn't making it go faster, just letting it run did the trick. Looked like it was actually accelerating more when she just stood on it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
Coreban was started by Ivan van Vuuren who now owns Signature. Nicky Carstens has been/is shaping for both. New owners of Coreban now run a store in Cape Town doing all things SUP and surfing but have gone very quiet with the Coreban brand.

The Signature foil is being hailed as the most pumpable and fastest downwind foil out there at the moment - Ivan's son, Nathan (17yo) who came 2nd to Kai at the M2O in the foil division can pump that thing for close to an hour without coming off foil. He goes faster out than in.

But everything has a price, they say the foil is a little more difficult to launch on dwds and also quite skittish so you need to be at the sharper end of foil skills to get full bang for your buck...they make foils for normal people as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal