Author Topic: Thin rails, not for surfing  (Read 24185 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thin rails, not for surfing
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
I wish I were closer to a lot of used boards. 
Somewhere there is a Sunova for me, I think......somewhere....
Over the rainbow?

You all are a great help...thanks!
Ah, just get any all-round board in the 11-12ft range and around 30” wide that you can find at a knockdown price and from a known brand. And then spend as much money as you can on a paddle upgrade. The paddle is more important than the board for paddling pleasure. A lovely light-but-strong paddle that suits your build and hands perfectly feels like a reassuring friend for life :)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »
Seconding Robon's idea of the Starboard Freeride 12'2". There are both a 2014-16 1st gen and a 2017-on 2nd gen. I keep two 1st gens for (friends and family) because its a such a fast and user friendly board. The 30' width is great. The 32" width a trifle barge-like. The 1st gen has both old school and ergo handles, depending on the year. Don't have any experience with the 2nd gen.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLCAUZzctFA
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:43:29 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »
Over the rainbow?

Contact Creek and buy one of the 12’ PtBreaks coming to the states this spring! Or get that Bark in FL?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
Over the rainbow?

Contact Creek and buy one of the 12’ PtBreaks coming to the states this spring! Or get that Bark in FL?
“PtBreak”?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 07:57:40 PM »
Over the rainbow?

“PtBreak”?

haven't you seen this thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34334.0.html

Check it out, might be just what you were looking for.
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »

haven't you seen this thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34334.0.html

[/quote]

That looks like a great board, but the narrower Search would be better for me.  Still just a dream, though......

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2019, 03:19:24 AM »

That looks like a great board, but the narrower Search would be better for me.  Still just a dream, though......
[/quote]
The OP started this thread saying that she wanted something cheaper than a new Sunova.

So we are looking for cheap options. That Bark would have been great.

I’d be looking at used boards. An old Naish Nalu 11-6 (29.75” wide I think) would be great, for instance. That’s a really lovely board for casual touring, albeit it’s not light. So many touring and all-round boards now are very wide, which can be an issue for women in particular.

Also, the first generation Naish Glide 12ft. 29.75” wide also I think. I have one. Very durable and light and although it has more rocker than you need for touring, it’s very easy and comfortable to use. If you can find one you could probably pick it up for next to nothing since they were sold around 2010-11 I think. But mine still looks the same as the day so got it. They built them much better back then.

Or you could even keep an eye out for a good condition Starboard Cruiser 12-6. 30” wide, and at one time one of the most popular SUPs on the planet (around 2007-2014 I’m guessing). So there are lots of examples around. Make sure you get one in good condition. They were as tough as nails though so that shouldn’t be hard.

Lots of cheap and good options around if you raid SUP’s back catalog.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2019, 06:11:01 AM »
I think I’ll call to see what shipping might cost on that Bark.   I don’t know if I can swing it.....but it’s worth a call.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
Don't overlook that Jimmy Lewis 11/6 cruze control sale... check the white carbon model $899 is a steal!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
+1 paddlejones. I did the original screen shot. Best of all these boards under discussion.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
The maroon in classic construction is 899.  I don’t know much about these boards.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
The white in carbon is 899. His site is wonky right now.

The rails on his boards are much more refined and thinner than many of the boards being presented. No affiliation just trying to help.

Sniff around and see all of the folks on the zone
who snapped up all kinds of Jimmy's!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »
For that 11/6 cruz control. Fantastic construction, for functionality stability, some boards come close, but nothing is better. As a cruzer for coastal & lakes, can surf small waves, this board is the best in my opinion

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
The maroon in classic construction is 899.  I don’t know much about these boards.
They are good. One of my first boards was a 11ft JL Cruise Control. Only a few weeks after starting SUP I paddled a 14 mile trip on it, and had a blast. To get the best out of it in surf you need to be quite heavy. But since you aren’t looking for a surf board that doesn’t matter. It’s very stable and easy board, and while it’s no race board, for its length and width, you can easily maintain a decent cruising pace on it.

Jimmy Lewis boards are beautifully made too. The classic construction is better than most boards’ fancy constructions. They will stay looking nice for a long time. I know lots of people who have had Cruise Control boards, and none have regretted it.

The White 11-6 in carbon at 899 is indeed a total bargain. But if you don’t want a white board and/or would prefer a 30” wide one, then there is a maroon 11-0 in classic construction for $924. That’s still an excellent price. 11-6x32 is a big board. Many women (in particular) might find the 11’0” x 30” plenty of board to carry, and easier to paddle than the bigger one. The 11’0 should be a comfortable distance cruiser for people up to about 150-160lbs or so.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:23:24 PM by Area 10 »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
I can’t find a lot of info on the Bark Excursion.  Does anyone have feedback on its build, strong points, etc?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal