Author Topic: Thin rails, not for surfing  (Read 24170 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thin rails, not for surfing
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
I can’t find some details on the JL boards, so I emailed them with a few questions.  Are the JL boards pretty tough?  I’m not going to throw it around, but stuff happens.  It would be a while before I could afford a board bag and rail tape.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
I can’t find some details on the JL boards, so I emailed them with a few questions.  Are the JL boards pretty tough?  I’m not going to throw it around, but stuff happens.  It would be a while before I could afford a board bag and rail tape.
The build quality of the JL boards is probably the best you can get without going custom.

The JL Mission (originally called the Albatross) is a great cruiser board too, if you can find one. You occasionally see older models heavily discounted in sales or on the used market. 12-6 by 29” wide. It’s not a fast board but it is super-stable, and you can carry loads on it, and it’s not a thick board at all. The bonus is that it’s a really good pocket downwinder if the wind really gets up - it can handle just about any bad weather/chop you can imagine.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Jimmy Lewis boards excellent finish and bomber, bullet proof, probably the toughest production boards out there.

Somewhere there is a vid of a car driving over one!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
Jimmy Lewis boards excellent finish and bomber, bullet proof, probably the toughest production boards out there.

Somewhere there is a vid of a car driving over one!

Yes but it was a small car :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »
Yet another question.....if I can round up the $1050, is the Cruise Control the best board for the buck, for my purposes?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
Yet another question.....if I can round up the $1050, is the Cruise Control the best board for the buck, for my purposes?

The Cruise Control is a high quality board, the price is right, but in all honesty, I do not think it is the best option available to you for what you want to do, and other boards are available in that price range that are more suited for your purposes. If you just want to get out there and start paddling, then it's a good choice, and it will work just fine for cruising around, but you were also originally looking into the Search, which is a foot longer in the 12' length, and would make for a better touring board.

You are not a big person, but an 11 x 30"  foot all arounder will start to be somewhat limiting when you begin to tour longer distances, want to bring some extra gear, your dog, etc. All around boards are fun, and get you out there, but are still essentially surf boards as opposed to being more effective cruisers.

As previously mentioned, the Starboard Freeride is a better option for you imo, and so is the Bark Excursion, and you can get both for close to the same price as the Cruise Control at some shops.. Jimmy Lewis also has the mission on sale, but it's a bit more expensive than the Cruise Control, but at 12'6", would be better for cruising, carrying gear, but still has thin rails, and a width that accommodates an effective stroke.

https://h2outlet.myshopify.com/collections/stand-up-paddleboards/products/12-bark-excursion

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
Since we've gone off the rails from the Search and I threw the 'Sunova Surf' out to get you some of the Sunova feel, I figure at this point, my Excursion and any longboard style SUP isn't going to cut it.  Here's a much better compromise.

Check out the Surftech Aleka 11'2" at REI.  It's shaped by the legendary Joe Bark (I'm a fan and he did start the Race board revolution) , the shape is a nice blend of a surfable touring board which at 29" is narrower then most and looks ideal for the lighter smaller paddler.  Compared to the Cruise Control, it's going to be lighter, quicker and more agile.  The Surftech construction is excellent and it's on sale at REI.  Board of the Year at Outside Magazine if you buy into that marmalade.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/151316/surftech-bark-prana-aleka-stand-up-paddle-board-11-2

https://www.outsideonline.com/2304521/best-stand-paddleboards-2018

And if you really want to go off the rails and impress everyone, get the 'Rail'.  It looks like it is half off at JL and that's an insane deal.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
Thank you to all of you for your input!   Lots for me to think about! 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
Thank you to all of you for your input!   Lots for me to think about!
The closest option discussed here to the Search, and the best value price you have been shown, is that Bark Excursion. I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t buy it at 999 USD as advertised, by robon. I would, without hesitation, and I already own 20 boards! The only downside of the Bark is that it would not be as durable as the Cruise Control. In fact you’d need to be gentle with it. Some people find this a problem, but personally I’ve owned 3 Barks (and still own one) in that construction (Pro-Elite) and they still look pretty much the same as the day I got them. But then I don’t feel the burning need to bash them into things five times a day like some folks seem to, and I don’t take dogs on my SUP etc.

I agree with the rest of what robon says too. You can usually find older Starboard Freerides in eg. Startouch (basic) construction, going very cheaply. They are tough
and durable.

So, whilst a 11-0 Cruise Control would certainly not be a mistake, I doubt if it’s the “biggest bang for the buck” that you could possibly find, for what you want.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:25:53 PM by Area 10 »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
Area10, what great fortune to own 20 boards!  That’s wonderful!
I’ve gotten in touch with h2outlet via Facebook, and I also emailed Surftech to see if h2outlet belongs to them.  The h2outlet website has no address or phone number, which makes me wary, but they do have a California address on their FB page.  There’s another thread on the Zone that talks about this retailer.

I’m not real concerned about having a board that can carry more than just me.  I’ll have the board longer than I’ll have my little dog.  She’s getting older, so I’m already cutting back on her activity.  She does like to sit on a board or kayak, though!  No stress for her!
When she’s not on the board, I’ll try small waves.  Like, really small!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
Ah, OK, it hadn’t occurred to me that that retailer might be dodgy. Hmm...

And yes, 20 boards is pretty ridiculous. I’ve probably owned and sold another 20 on top of that. Trying new equipment and searching for the perfect match (for me, and for what I do) is part of the fun for me. But I’m slowing down my purchasing  - I only bought 2 boards last year. I got a custom unlimited the year before, and since it was made for me, and I know what works for me, and the shaper is local so understands our conditions, it’s hardly a surprise perhaps that it’s made most of my other boards redundant. I’ll probably have a clear-out sale this summer. Maybe then use the money to buy another custom, if I can persuade the shaper to make another board. Although it’s possible that Brexit will completely collapse the UK economy (maybe even take the European Union with it if there’s a no-Deal Brexit)  and I won’t be able to sell them even for peanuts. Happy times.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:02:54 PM by Area 10 »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
Eventually I hope to have TWO boards!
OMG, Brexit.  Splitting the UK like 2016 split the US.  I hope y’all get another vote and Brexit is called off.

On the subject of Sunovas......I did not like Creek’s boards with the concave deck.  That isn’t for me.  Th others, though...yes!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »
Eventually I hope to have TWO boards!
OMG, Brexit.  Splitting the UK like 2016 split the US.  I hope y’all get another vote and Brexit is called off.

On the subject of Sunovas......I did not like Creek’s boards with the concave deck.  That isn’t for me.  Th others, though...yes!
Yes, there are substantial parallels between the Trump phenomenon and Brexit. I’ve never known social polarisation even remotely like it. It’s tough to see how the pieces will ever be put back together again.

I’m not a fan of bird-bath/clog SUPs either. They can be effective for racing, but they are pretty annoying to use and own if you don’t race. And they are just plain ugly.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
Brexit promoters and Trump--both are very sad.

Both make big promises to restrict refugee immigration.  It gets votes for them.

Supporters and voters liked this for reasons obvious to all but their political opponents.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
California Kiteboarding and Boardworks California have decent prices on the cheaper (Starshot) Starboards, and Naish, too.
Freeride 12’2 x 30, Touring 11’6 x 29, Naish Glide 11’6 x 29.5.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal