Author Topic: Thin rails, not for surfing  (Read 24335 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thin rails, not for surfing
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
The maroon in classic construction is 899.  I don’t know much about these boards.
They are good. One of my first boards was a 11ft JL Cruise Control. Only a few weeks after starting SUP I paddled a 14 mile trip on it, and had a blast. To get the best out of it in surf you need to be quite heavy. But since you aren’t looking for a surf board that doesn’t matter. It’s very stable and easy board, and while it’s no race board, for its length and width, you can easily maintain a decent cruising pace on it.

Jimmy Lewis boards are beautifully made too. The classic construction is better than most boards’ fancy constructions. They will stay looking nice for a long time. I know lots of people who have had Cruise Control boards, and none have regretted it.

The White 11-6 in carbon at 899 is indeed a total bargain. But if you don’t want a white board and/or would prefer a 30” wide one, then there is a maroon 11-0 in classic construction for $924. That’s still an excellent price. 11-6x32 is a big board. Many women (in particular) might find the 11’0” x 30” plenty of board to carry, and easier to paddle than the bigger one. The 11’0 should be a comfortable distance cruiser for people up to about 150-160lbs or so.

What do you think the weight ranges would be for the 10’6, 11, and 11’6?  I can’t find much user info on the JL site.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »
What do you think the weight ranges would be for the 10’6, 11, and 11’6?  I can’t find much user info on the JL site.

For a reference, I can put some miles on my 10 foot board (31" wide and
150 liter). Not the best ride but still doable even with my 190LB on it.

Another thing to note is your paddle stroke comfort and efficiency.
On a 31" wide board stroke feels unnatural to me and certainly not efficient.

With that in mind I'd say the 11 would be a good compromise and
will float you plenty.
in progress...

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
The Bark deal in Florida is gone. I'm local and called to see what they had. They said they had 4 and moved all of them, pulled it off the website.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:02:09 PM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
The Bark deal in Florida is gone. I'm local and called to see what they had. They said they had 4 and moved all of them, pulled it off the website.

She who hesitates.....

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
And Jimmy Deals changing. As they sell out!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »

For a reference, I can put some miles on my 10 foot board (31" wide and
150 liter). Not the best ride but still doable even with my 190LB on it.

Another thing to note is your paddle stroke comfort and efficiency.
On a 31" wide board stroke feels unnatural to me and certainly not efficient.

With that in mind I'd say the 11 would be a good compromise and
will float you plenty.
I agree.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Smoking deal on the Exhibition, I would have been tempted to buy one as a backup board.  Here's my two cents from last year....

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33508.msg378053.html#msg378053

but I can't help adding a couple of cents more.

For starters, the Search is pretty unique in it's design.  The extended low tapered rail line that gives it it's in the water stability and lack of corkyness, is also the reason why some users just call it flat out slow.

I'll be the 'Debbie Downer' here and say none of the boards suggest have thin rails (at all) and will feel nothing like the Search on the water, not even close.  Even the Exhibition with it super thin tail carries much of it's thickness in the standing area to the rails and will not give you that low in the water feeling the Search has.

Best I can do is suggest you get over the Search (I did) and take a look at a different Sunova, the Surf 10'6" x 30".  Plenty of volume to cruise on, not too wide and you'll still get some of that Sunova feel with it's low volume (158 l).  It's just a starting point, as there are a ton of similar longboard style SUPs out there, but when it comes to the Search, there is only one.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:28:45 PM by baddog »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
Smoking deal on the Exhibition, I would have been tempted to buy one as a backup board.  Here's my two cents from last year....

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33508.msg378053.html#msg378053

but I can't help adding a couple of cents more.

For starters, the Search is pretty unique in it's design.  The extended low tapered rail line that gives it it's in the water stability and lack of corkyness, is also the reason why some users just call it flat out slow.

I'll be the 'Debbie Downer' here and say none of the boards suggest have thin rails (at all) and will feel nothing like the Search on the water, not even close.  Even the Exhibition with it super thin tail carries much of it's thickness in the standing area to the rails and will not give you that low in the water feeling the Search has.

Best I can do is suggest you get over the Search (I did) and take a look at a different Sunova, the Surf 10'6" x 30".  Plenty of volume to cruise on, not too wide and you'll still get some of that Sunova feel with it's low volume (158 l).  It's just a starting point, as there are a ton of similar longboard style SUPs out there, but when it comes to the Search, there is only one.

I’ve lost track of the Exhibition deal—where was that?  All there is around here is a 12’6 Bic Wing, which I know is not anything Zoners would get excited about.  Maybe it would work for me?  I don’t know.
I’ll check out the Sunova Surf, though.  I can’t go wider than 30”...that would be very uncomfortable for me.  Eventually someone on the zone will want to sell an awesome board, I think.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
Whoops!  I meant Excursion!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2019, 06:58:32 AM »
I’m thinking the JL Cruise Control 11’ might be better than the 10’6.

10’6″x28.75″x4.3″ (150L)
11’0″x30″x4.4″ (170L)
11’6″x32″x4.6″ (200L)

For glide, chop, wind, cruising.  ?.?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2019, 07:29:03 AM »
I think you have the right idea.
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
Weight on the board will range from 155 to 190.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »

10’6″x28.75″x4.3″ (150L)
11’0″x30″x4.4″ (170L)
11’6″x32″x4.6″ (200L)

Yes, as I said before, the 11-0 is the one to have.

Keep an eye out for a 11-6 Naish Nalu (29.75” wide) too. They make a really nice and stable distance cruiser. You quite often find them on special offer these days because most all-round/surf SUPs have either gone really wide (too wide, IMO), or too short for cruising. So the demand for them has waned. But they are the sort of board you keep forever because they are so versatile and nice to paddle.

The 11-4 Nalu would probably be an option too. As an example of what to look for, there’s an older model (2015) one here on special offer currently listed at 899 USD I think:

https://www.bigwinds.com/naish-sup-15-sup-board-nalu

Or maybe even a Naish Quest 11-2. On the downside it’s 32” wide and a bit heavy. But the upsides are many: It is crazy stable, looks great, will be durable, and you can find some at bargain prices like this:

https://www.standonliquid.com/paddle-board-brands/naish-surfing/naish-quest-11-2-paddle-board

You could ask the zoner DavidJohn about these. I think he’s a fan of the Quests.

If you buy boards as heavily discounted as these, you will probably lose very little when and if you decide to move them on. None of them feel corky, and your feet are only just above water level when you are on them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:34:59 AM by Area 10 »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »

10’6″x28.75″x4.3″ (150L)
11’0″x30″x4.4″ (170L)
11’6″x32″x4.6″ (200L)

Yes, as I said before, the 11-0 is the one to have.

Keep an eye out for a 11-6 Naish Nalu (29.75” wide) too. They make a really nice and stable distance cruiser. You quite often find them on special offer these days because most all-round/surf SUPs have either gone really wide (too wide, IMO), or too short for cruising. So the demand for them has waned. But they are the sort of board you keep forever because they are so versatile and nice to paddle.

The 11-4 Nalu would probably be an option too. As an example of what to look for, there’s an older model (2015) one here on special offer currently listed at 899 USD I think:

https://www.bigwinds.com/naish-sup-15-sup-board-nalu

I actually had that exact Nalu, thanks to Pono, but I had to leave it behind in Seattle.  Totally sucked doing that, and now I’m screwed.  I wish I could find a great used board on the forum.  I’m considering the JL, but that’s a $$ hit for me.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
Ok. Well, then also keep your eyes open for a cheap JP 12'6" x 30" Hybrid. That’s a board that would fulfil your wishes well, as well. This is another board that has been around for a couple of years and you can sometimes find older models discounted.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal