Stand Up Paddle > Gear Talk

Thin rails, not for surfing

(1/24) > >>

spirit4earth:
Can anyone advise me on a board similar to a Sunova Search?  I love the thin rails on that board, but I need a less expensive option.  I like being being a little lower in the water, not bobbing too much, if you know what I mean.  Thanks in advance!

Area 10:
I know exactly what you mean, and I’m the same.

If you lived in Europe it would be easy. You’d get a Gong Perv, which comes in 10-6, 12-6 and 14 lengths (all 30” wide). They are surprisingly fast to paddle in pure flat water, given that they are surf-shape-like. And they are massively cheaper than the Sunovas.

But I’m guessing you aren’t in Europe, so this might be more of a challenge.

spirit4earth:

--- Quote from: Area 10 on February 17, 2019, 11:10:06 AM ---I know exactly what you mean, and I’m the same.

If you lived in Europe it would be easy. You’d get a Gong Perv, which comes in 10-6, 12-6 and 14 lengths (all 30” wide). They are surprisingly fast to paddle in pure flat water, given that they are surf-shape-like. And they are massively cheaper than the Sunovas.

But I’m guessing you aren’t in Europe, so this might be more of a challenge.

--- End quote ---

Area 10, thank you, but you’re right, I’m not in Europe.  I’m on the US east coast.  I’m going to look up those boards, though.

Area 10:
Btw, what size do you want? Surftech make various boards aimed at flat water touring that have thin rails (e.g. the Chameleon TEKefx, or the Elemrnts tourer) and if you can find some on sale somewhere you might get a good price on one. The Bark boards in particular would be worth a look.

SIC make a surf-cruiser called the Saber, but I’m guessing that that will be rather expensive.

My 16ft custom has rails that are only 4.5” thick...

You pay quite a price for thin rails in terms of paddling speed. But IMO there’s more to paddling enjoyment than top speed.

Of the race boards, the Naish Maliko probably has some of the thinnest rails. That’s a lovely board to paddle. Definitely worth trying if you never have. Plenty around used, I should think. The 2018 is worth spending a bit more on.

Luc Benac:
+1 on the 2018 Naish Maliko

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version