Author Topic: Does the Surfrider Foundation have anything to do with surf riding?  (Read 120127 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does the Surfrider Foundation have anything to do with surf riding?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Good stuff RTG!

I keep that link on my favorites for when I get into debates with deniers; it's not vague or hard to understand. It's from NASA. If the denier's next line of defense of their position is a conspiracy theory about NASA, I'm done. NASA is up front about there being a less than 1 in 20 chance that they are wrong about people causing it. Some deniers feel like that puts a conclusion based on an observation of snow in MN in February from someone who claims to have "an instinct for science" on equal footing. I don't pursue debating that either.

I saw one scientist speaking on it and someone asked something that mentioned believers and disbelievers. In his response he said there are no such things; there are just people who understand it and people who don't.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:35:05 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
RTG, statements like the one you quoted, "there are just people who understand it and people who don't", may be true, but also come off as arrogant and tend to be polarizing.  Since only a very small percentage of the population here in the US have the background to understand the science behind global warming, to get buy-in from the populace you first need to earn trust. 

This is a big issue for our current crop of elected officials, who do you trust?

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
RTG, statements like the one you quoted, "there are just people who understand it and people who don't", may be true, but also come off as arrogant and tend to be polarizing.  Since only a very small percentage of the population here in the US have the background to understand the science behind global warming, to get buy-in from the populace you first need to earn trust. 

This is a big issue for our current crop of elected officials, who do you trust?
The context of the quote was frustration with having to continue explaining and convincing when they should be spending all of their time working with people doing something about it like their colleagues in the rest of the developed world.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
You’d need to be a complete dork not to believe that we are trashing the planet, whether you understand the science or not. It’s common sense. Just look around you. You really shouldn’t need scientists to tell you something that obvious. Global warming is just one aspect of this.

The issue is what to do about it, and how that can come about.

Have you guys seen this girl? She’s absolutely incredible. She’s started a whole movement amongst school kids here in Europe.

https://youtu.be/EAmmUIEsN9A

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
So it's SOL to anyone who has a home on ocean front property? They're rich anyway? It's going to be SLO to the Amtrak train service to San Diego soon too. Back to Greyhound buses for a your economy trip to SD. Just to show how convoluted this perceived position of being an environmental do-gooder is, the Ocean Institute in Dana point is built in the harbor right where the famous Killer Dana break use to be. The Surfrider's Foundation is partnered in some way with the Ocean Institute. They are all about giving back the the community....right?

https://www.ocean-institute.org/article/ocean-institute-kicks-11th-annual-laguna-beach-million-dollar-home-raffle

https://www.ocean-institute.org/announcements

There is something very exclusive and secret about the Ocean Institute and the very very rich involved with it.

http://www.danapointtimes.com/recent-rains-ocean-institute-scientists-test-water-quality/

from this article...

"While samples take at least a day before results are ready, Wong says that at this point the task force can analyze trends and make predictions to better serve the community. Due to the wait in getting results and the costliness of test taking, real-time data is not yet available to the public.

“Through citizen science initiatives, classroom tours and advocacy, we want to at least get people to think about working toward solutions,” Chuc said. “If our work can inspire a child to ask questions about how to reduce pollution, then we’ve done our jobs.”

Water testing demonstrations are not yet open to the public, but the public programs department at Ocean Institute aims to make them available by this summer. To monitor the institute’s water quality findings, visit surfrider.org."

So the Ocean Institute doesn't provide testing to the public because of the of "the wait in getting results and the costliness of test taking"????? Mumbo Jumbo.....

I couldn't find the water testing data on their site? Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.

https://www.surfrider.org/pages/surfrider-legal

I'm not buying a lot of it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
Sea walls kill beaches & our surf spots, no 2 ways around it. I can't speak to any non-specific European examples, but here in CA they are built by private property owners to protect their properties from natural coastal erosion and sea level rise. There is definitely a lack of awareness, as many causal beachgoers assume (as I once did) that they exist to protect the public. 99.9% of the time, nope.

It works like this - when you armor the coast, you create a barrier to natural erosion processes and essentially set a hard back to the beach. As sea levels rise, we'll lose that beach. We'll also lose surf breaks, as the "new normal" higher tides won't have anywhere to go + refraction from walls sucks for waves + less accessible beaches.

This is a very contentious issue for Surfrider, as we (yes I work for Surfrider SD County) go up against wealthy, powerful homeowners and developers who have endless funds to malign us and spread misinformation. I'm in no way anti-coastal homeowner, either, and I have empathy for property owners whose coastal homes are put in jeopardy by extremely alarming sea level rise projections. There ARE protections put in place for sea walls built prior to the CA Coastal Act (1972).

That said, Surfrider is in essence fighting for what the CA Coastal Act enshrined - the beach belongs to all Californians, not just those wealthy or fortunate enough to own beachfront properties. We will keep fighting this fight for the greater good of all surfers, beachgoers, our coastal heritage, and our coastal environment.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:46:28 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
Here is a drone vid of Solana Beach during the King Tides in January. No beach. It's sad but that is likely the normal high tide in 30-50 years. Miles of pristine beach, lost. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-QAPJ-ga8
San Diego, CA

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
In the 60s the coastal commission tried to stop beach erosion in the Sunset Cliffs area. Against the protests of the surfers and hippies, they placed rip-rap at the foot of several cliffs on some beaches. Today, all of those beaches are gone. The water hits the rocks and when the water is sucked back into the sea, it speeds up and becomes stronger due to the ventury effect of squeezing between the rocks. Of course it takes all the sand with it.

For those that know the area, Rockslides and Luscomes had sandy beaches.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
Sea walls would be just plain stupid here in NC due to barrier island migration. Beachfront might be second row or might be submerged within a generation. Masonboro Island, an uninhabited refuge near Wrightsville Beach, is currently migrating toward the mainland at a rate of 16' per year:

https://sites.google.com/site/barrierislandecology2013/coastal-and-barrier-island-ecosystem-factors/barrier-island-migration

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »
“Surf Rider” in Tofino are a volunteer organization that has monthly beach cleanups where they walk the beaches and pick up debris and tons of plastic that washes in. They have also helped to eliminate plastic straws in the town and are working on plastic bags. They have a wetsuit recycling program that makes yoga mats. The work that they do in our community certainly benefits surfers. Many of the members are surfers. Protecting our oceans and beaches is important.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »
“Surf Rider” in Tofino are a volunteer organization that has monthly beach cleanups where they walk the beaches and pick up debris and tons of plastic that washes in. They have also helped to eliminate plastic straws in the town and are working on plastic bags. They have a wetsuit recycling program that makes yoga mats. The work that they do in our community certainly benefits surfers. Many of the members are surfers. Protecting our oceans and beaches is important.

Bob

That's pretty much what Surfrider does in New York.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »
Sea walls kill beaches & our surf spots, no 2 ways around it. I can't speak to any non-specific European examples, but here in CA they are built by private property owners to protect their properties from natural coastal erosion and sea level rise. There is definitely a lack of awareness, as many causal beachgoers assume (as I once did) that they exist to protect the public. 99.9% of the time, nope.

It works like this - when you armor the coast, you create a barrier to natural erosion processes and essentially set a hard back to the beach. As sea levels rise, we'll lose that beach. We'll also lose surf breaks, as the "new normal" higher tides won't have anywhere to go + refraction from walls sucks for waves + less accessible beaches.

This is a very contentious issue for Surfrider, as we (yes I work for Surfrider SD County) go up against wealthy, powerful homeowners and developers who have endless funds to malign us and spread misinformation. I'm in no way anti-coastal homeowner, either, and I have empathy for property owners whose coastal homes are put in jeopardy by extremely alarming sea level rise projections. There ARE protections put in place for sea walls built prior to the CA Coastal Act (1972).

That said, Surfrider is in essence fighting for what the CA Coastal Act enshrined - the beach belongs to all Californians, not just those wealthy or fortunate enough to own beachfront properties. We will keep fighting this fight for the greater good of all surfers, beachgoers, our coastal heritage, and our coastal environment.
I'm mostly just an observer but I do what I can do. I pickup just about every plastic bag I see when I'm out surf or paddling distance. I don't wait for that once a month or year scheduled weekend morning beach / harbor cleanup to meet with a bunch of people that want to do their part for a couple of hours and then go to Starbucks. They pose for pictures and get a write up in the local paper. They talk about the organization and all the sponsors of the event and how great they are about everything. Once the cameras and reporters leave, the county, city and State parks have a paid crews that do the cleanup weekly by hand and with machines. When they finish, the beach is all cleaned up. I'm there on a regular basis and I see them do it. That's the way it is here, I don't imagine that's the case everywhere.
I'm just leery of those who cloak themselves as the best and coolest thing to be apart of, yet fill their non-profit pockets. I want to listen to a scientist who has collected data, done real life simulations of practical solutions, and presents it in a logical manner. I don't want to listen to an ideological group of non-scientists who think they know everything. I want to find a solution too. Letting homes get destroyed and watch them wash out into the ocean is not a solution, it's the result of politic's. 
I don't work for a political organization, and have no affiliation to any cool or popular groups. I stand to have no financial gain from my position as a citizen and outdoor enthusiast. I just don't like candy coated BS.   
Working for the Surfrider Foundation sounds like a good job. Everyone wants a good job.
It's not overhead to me!

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
It is a good job. I'm overworked & the pay is about what you'd expect from a non-profit, but I'm passionate about the cause and feel like I'm making an impact (however small).

Not sure what put such a bad taste in your mouth re: Surfrider, although I applaud your skepticism as there are many non-profits that operate dishonestly or as PR extensions of companies that pollute and/or have questionable business practices. 

Speaking for Surfrider, the positions we take are absolutely based on science. We have scientists on staff to assure that. And no one's here to fill their pockets. Environmental non-profit work would be a foolish way to go about that, trust me.

Re: beach cleanups, no environmentalist worth their salt would tell you they're a real solution to the problem of pollution on our beaches. But the data we collect at those cleanups does inform our education & policy efforts towards the real goal - preventing our beaches from getting trashed in the first place. Community cleanups also offer an entry-level opportunity for people to volunteer and make an impact. Many of our volunteer leaders got their start at a Surfrider beach cleanup.

Another great thing about Surfrider is that for the most part, the organization & its staff exist to support and inspire everyday people to make an impact in their community. Here in SD & in every other Chapter, the lion's share of our work is done by volunteers working together to achieve victories for our coast. The bulk of my job consists of supporting those volunteers.

surfridersd.org 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:21:36 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 10:02:18 PM »
I do think you and your work is valuable and rewarding. Educating our youth is critical to bettering our future. I live two blocks from the ocean and walk along it almost everyday. I've lived here for 50 years. I seen the changes. Where we used to play volleyball on the beach, the courts and beach are gone. There are no homes where I walk at Doheny, just the eroding beach, disappearing parking lot, rail road tracks and coast hwy beyond that. I have a picture on the wall next to my desk of that beach in 1950's where the beach is about 50 yds wider. Groups played volleyball there till the early 2000's. The courts are now disappearing at San Onofre too. My issue is how one area is targeted for enforcement or restricted, where others will go without mention. The Dana Point harbor was man made and constructed of large rocks. It's created a safe harbor for boaters and a money maker for the county. One of the newest structure built right next to the beach and protected by a bunch of rocks is the Ocean Institute. If they remove the rocks at San Onofre and other State Park locations, maybe they should look at removing the rocks at the harbor too. Or is that particular area okay to have rocks?
BTW, there are no walls or structures or seawalls from Trestles all the way down to trail 6. From trail 1 to about trail 4 the sand has been gone for about 4 years now. It's just rocks. The sand may return or not, but left to mother nature the sand is disappearing. So the argument that owners of private property with seawalls are causing the sand to disappear doesn't seem to have as much the absolute cause that everyone is so absolutely believing.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:15:32 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal