Author Topic: Muscle cramps in calves - are you affected? is there a way to reduce it?  (Read 4655 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey there,

Went out to play in cold water and in an hour both legs began giving me troubles with cramps in calves. It was pretty disorganized surf and I spent most of the time sitting and on my knees, so it's not like legs were overworked. I think it's more connected to water temperature.  It was not worsted I ever experienced, but it made me wonder if it's "normal" because of water temp (but I wasn't really cold), or lack of regular training is the reason. I drunk plenty of fluid before going it, had a banana and still got these pesky charlie horse spasms... Or is it a medical condition?
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Laineet.fi - Keeps you One Wave Ahead
I've have had some calf problems. Not that much cramps but my feet start to get numb after about 40mins starting from my toes. For me it's a blood flow problem with tight calf muscles. Massaging my calf with a ball and also massaging under my feet seemed to help. The tightest muscles where the ones underneath. The ones you can stretch with bended knee. With straight leg you can stretch the ones on top. If you massage your calf and find sore spots massaging and stretching might help.

Might also be just and fatigue thing. My numbness got worse the more i paddled.
Starboard National Team Rider
2023 14'x23" Allstar Custom Carbon
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98
http://laineet.fi/

supthecreek

I used to cramp all the time.
Didn't matter if winter or summer (in New England, so it was cold more than warm)

It stopped almost completely when I started riding my mountain bike a lot.
The first thing I did in Portugal was to buy a mountain bike.

See ya.... going for my morning ride/surf check  :)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Like CREEK said improving circulation (through excercise) or possibly through better hydration

just my 2 cents

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing.com

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
In addition to all the good advice above, I would add that if you are out in conditions where you are more comfortable sitting or kneeling than standing, while you are up on your feet you will probably be more tense than usual.

I still have to remind myself to move around a little when I stand, bend my knees a little and go with the flow, and don't react to every bump.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Old Navy PT trick....carry little yellow mustard packet and suck it down then ya get a cramp...bye bye cramps in a minute or two. 

8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Cold definitely can bring them on for me. I was having terrible cramp problems in my calves. Pono told me he found relief with pressure socks. I was skeptical at 1st but what a difference. Stopped immediately, I don't wear them all the time. If I start getting cramps I use them for a few days. I have them on right now....woke up with a cramp in my calf last night. I'll wear them for a few days and then put them away for a month before getting another cramp. I also wear them under my wetsuit in winter now. Tney not only help with cramps they help a little with warmth and getting my wetsuit off is much easier.

You need to get the good strong ones though...hard to get on their so tight but feel good once on.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:19:51 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
- One way to prevent muscle cramps is to get enough of these nutrients: potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium. They're called electrolytes
Avoid hot baths, stretch before and after exercising.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
My calves will cramp painfully at night on occasion. I have determined that it is related to which shoes I am wearing. If I wear the same shoe for several days in a row and then switch to another pair, the cramps come. I now make it a point to switch shoes daily when possible, and that has help a lot.  If I haven't SUPed for a while and then have a couple of long sessions, they also return.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I used to cramp all the time.
Didn't matter if winter or summer (in New England, so it was cold more than warm)

It stopped almost completely when I started riding my mountain bike a lot.
The first thing I did in Portugal was to buy a mountain bike.

See ya.... going for my morning ride/surf check  :)
Bingo!  Same here, agree 100%, and you don't have to go on technical trails, you just have to get on your bike.
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Muscle cramps in calves - are you affected? is there a way to reduce it?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
See a vein doc and get checked for deep vein insufficiency (DVI) which simply means the veins in your legs are too big for the valves to efficiently close and keep circulation working. The muscles get less oxygen and the lactic acid isn't converted well, so you get cramps. If you get cramps at night after a day on your feet it's a dead giveaway. It's worth a check because it can make you more susceptible to clots, but if you want to avoid the doc, just wear a pair of compression knee socks and see if that solves the problem. I get screaming cramps that make me jump out of bed and hobble around cursing. Knee-high compression socks worn a few times a week and elevating my legs whenever I can solves the problem completely.

These are the socks I use, the best I've found by far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BKIPKW
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »
LOL...Bill talking about jumping out of bed made me think of this.

Woke up with a massive cramp in my left leg, head spinning, jump up out of bed and immediately cramp in my right leg. In the dark with my head going in circles, no idea what's left, right, up, or down..... spasming legs throw me head 1st into the closet door. Good thing it was a hollow core sliding door...put my forehead right through it before crashing to the floor.  Spent a few minutes spastically writhing on the floor trying to straighten my legs.

1st sign now I put on the socks. I'm well hydrated and get all the necessary nutrients and minerals. I just bought myself a fatbike. Hope that all gets rid rid of the damn things. Worst experience on the water ever was with cramps during the downwinder we tried to do on the cape a few years ago....couldn't even stand after the 1st couple miles and was in crazy pain the rest of the way....had no choice but to finish...though we were miles off course because of it.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
Thank you, everyone. Lot of solid info to process.

See a vein doc and get checked for deep vein insufficiency (DVI) which simply means the veins in your legs are too big for the valves to efficiently close and keep circulation working. The muscles get less oxygen and the lactic acid isn't converted well, so you get cramps. If you get cramps at night after a day on your feet it's a dead giveaway. It's worth a check because it can make you more susceptible to clots, but if you want to avoid the doc, just wear a pair of compression knee socks and see if that solves the problem. I get screaming cramps that make me jump out of bed and hobble around cursing. Knee-high compression socks worn a few times a week and elevating my legs whenever I can solves the problem completely.

These are the socks I use, the best I've found by far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BKIPKW

Bill, you are right on the money. I'm getting cramps at night, all kinds  - it varies from just a pinky toe up to entire leg including quads... I elevate legs after tough days, looks like compression sox and Dr's call are in order...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:39:18 PM by oceanAddict »
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
Yoga style stretching reduced the intensity and frequency of my leg cramps.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
Years ago, found that any lower leg soreness or stiffness from distance running was removed by endurance road cycling.  Recommend practicing spinning technique on a used bicycle trainer with flexion in the ankles, if not a cyclist.  Not necessary to push yourself too much; better to use higher RPM's and less torque.  Find a cyclist to help you with fit, esp. seat height.

You can also get a fairly powerful eStim from eBay for about $20 that will loosen up almost anything.  As a runner, use "The Stick", and also a homemade version to massage legs.

If you run or hike on steep trails regularly (or work up to it gradually) the range of motion required does wonders for the calves, achilles, etc.  Uphill is a flex, downhill an extension, with knees at various running angles depending on the slope.

If you use shoes day to day with a heel lift or have done so for much of your life, and then SUP and walk on the beach in flip flops, risk goes up.

ANY sudden movement when not warmed up is risky.  Not so much with me, as I fall a lot.

SUP'ing hard day after day without recovery, does not allow the body to recover, and the calf cramp may just be the first sign of this training regimen.  Esp. with runners, if one fixes the "calf cramp" and not the training schedule, then something else goes instead.

You can eliminate the possibility of calf compartment syndrome, which is scary.

Using an unstable board makes all the body work harder, esp. the lower leg.  To little knee and hip flex and other form issues can make a difference.

etc., etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal