Author Topic: Help deciding which wetsuit?  (Read 7897 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help deciding which wetsuit?
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
I've been wanting to get a 4/3 fullsuit for prone surfing and winter standup surfing. My old neon green 3/2 Rip Curl E-bomb short sleeve fullsuit doesn't cut it anymore prone surfing in winter. Standup it's ok. I've never owned a 4/3 in my life. Only surfed SoCal, Mex, and Hawaii. 90% trunks only. Jack's Surf outlet store has a Quicksilver 4/3 Syncro XXXL backzip for $120. Total  (includes 30% off and tax). The only other 4/3 XXXL they have is an Xcel inifinti back zip with sealed seams and a micro fiber liner. It feels warmer but it's $220. total with discount and tax.

Buying a wetsuit in SoCal in the middle of a rainy cold winter is like grocery shopping when you're really hungry. They both fit good, but the Quicksilver feels more like my 3/2 fit and thickness wise. I went cheap and bought the Quicksilver, but I'm thinking about returning it for the better quality Xcel. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:42:26 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Help deciding which wetsuit?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »
All I can say is that I have seen a lot of prone surfer in Tofino using Xcel seamless and so on....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »
I’ll say that the xcel’s last and are warm. They are not the most flexible.

Check out seshday.com. I’ve bought 2 xcels from them. They close out the previous years stock for xcel. Anything in the last 3 years is amazing. I’d buy local but honestly they never have my size. Local shops up here are not stocking like they used to. I’m sure it’s a cycle related to online sales but closeouts are hard to ignore.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
I will add that I'm not a fan the blue / grey color. I've been putting up with my neon green RipCurl for about 8 years now. I paid $115 for it at RipCurl's outlet. Of course the selection of XXXL are always super limited :(
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
I’ll say that the xcel’s last and are warm. They are not the most flexible.

Check out seshday.com.
I agree with the flexibility of the xcel's. The xcel felt like extra it had more material that kinda folded under my arms, where the QS felt more fitted and stretchy. The QS may be better for paddling with the thicker suit? 
BTW, seshday doesn't have anything bigger than an XL. Looks like a nice site though.
It's not overhead to me!

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
I don't wanna make your selection more difficult but really want to share something. Look on ONeill ws. Yes, they are more $$, but they are crazy stretchy and flexible. And here is the part that makes me post.  I have 2008  5.5/4.5 full ws that had a tear in back panel and bunch of cracks on fluid seams (inside). don't remember how I found this info, but you can send ws back to the factory for repair. I just received that phychofreak and I tell you what - it looks like new. New back panel welded in, all newly coated seams and ! new knee pads.  GUess how much?  Twenty Five dollars including shipping back to MA.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with those guys. 
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »
1) Go to Frog House
2) try on everything, even Oniels which I've gotten my last 3 from them
3) tell them what you really want and they will find it for you even XXXL's
4) Enjoy a good price, they usually discount their suits as long as it's not this years newest/hottest etc.
5) Smile and enjoy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:37:27 PM by Old School 213 »

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
TallDude-I just purchased the Supreme Blade 4/3/2 XXL closeout from Hyperflex for $134. They got out of the Sup only wetsuit business but this suit is built for it. Super stretchy, warm and light in the shoulders for easy paddling. I threw a 3/5 hooded vest underneath and it handled 37 degree water temperature, 40 degree air and 30mph winds like a charm today. I get through a good part of the year with it. Search the suit on the Zone..it's a great suit and has plenty of positive reviews to match. They have XXXl suits and ship the next day.  Hyperflex makes a great suit.I put the link below.

IMHO this suit is a no brainer for you. I'm going to buy another and put it away for a couple of years.

https://hyperflexusa.com/product/mensblade432mmfullsuit/

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »
I BOUGHT A XTERRA closeout and i like it a lot so far.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:24 AM »
I don't wanna make your selection more difficult but really want to share something. Look on ONeill ws. Yes, they are more $$, but they are crazy stretchy and flexible. And here is the part that makes me post.  I have 2008  5.5/4.5 full ws that had a tear in back panel and bunch of cracks on fluid seams (inside). don't remember how I found this info, but you can send ws back to the factory for repair. I just received that phychofreak and I tell you what - it looks like new. New back panel welded in, all newly coated seams and ! new knee pads.  GUess how much?  Twenty Five dollars including shipping back to MA.

+1 on the O’neil. I have a Psycotech 4/3 and 5.4/4. Incredibly flexible, easy to get on and off and warm. Well worth the extra few dollars. I have no financial interest in the company. I have owned several other high end suits such as Patagonia. 
Bob

Needless to say, I'm sticking with those guys.
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:37 AM »
O'Neill Psycho Tech...... best wetsuit I ever owed. 
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 02:51:48 AM »
I lucked up and my local shop was running this season's Rip Curl Flashbomb 4/3 Zip Free at 45% off, ended up being $215 USD out the door. It replaced my O'Neill Psychotech from 4 years ago, and woah - it's a pretty huge improvement. Much more flexible and warm, dries quicker too, obviously 4 years of improvements and a higher end suit will do that.

The zip free was actually the cheapest, which I find somewhat strange. I guess they save money on the zipper, etc. I've never had zip free, but unlike what I've heard, it's pretty easy to get in and out of.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 03:00:46 AM »
Especially for prone surfing, the focus has to be on fit and comfort.  If you’ve needed nothing more than a 3/2 SS in the past, and you’re not looking to expand north, any modern 4/3 should do the job keeping you warm. 

As an alternative, a high end 3/2 suit would probably keep you as warm as the Synchro and offer more flexibility, and less flushing, but at a higher cost and possibly shorter life.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 03:17:34 AM »
wow didnt know re the ON repair policy

last fall ordered 2019 suits:

ON psychotech 5.5/4 (latest technobutter 3)

and

Xcel Drylock X  5/4 (new, limestone neoprene)

in LT and XL----4 suits---returned 3---kept the oneil xl---it was clearly best suit---running around in my office!

no way to compare when wet, or when broken in a bit

always loved the ON TB (was replacing a pyrotech), but felt compelled to check out xcel drylok x new---i m sticking with the ON TB---felt better in my office, and feel great in the cold water

these arent cheap suits, but i am 60 yo and i often surf with water in the 30's and air in the 20's and comfort counts and i have the dough

but that's me---plenty of guys drive 40K + cars and trucks, but cheap out on wetsuits---i cheap out on cars--long as they start up and run safe i am good

like to be as comfortable as possible during precious uncrowded cold excellent winter surf sessions
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
I won't buy another wetsuit unless it has a microfiber lining. My SUPreme 4/3/2 has been great...very stretchy, warm, easy on and off. I add a hooded vest as well when it gets real cold. It's still going strong after 3 years. I tore the shoulders out of my Xcel drylock in the 2nd year...my problem isn't height it's width.....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal