Author Topic: Retiring But where?  (Read 25608 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring But where?
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
...re florida--not for me due to wave scarcity...

Same here EB, we actually do live in a very underrated surf destination here in the Mid Atlantic/NE.

On the other hand, hearing PB say that he lives in HI and OR somehow got me totally frothing.  We of course already knew this from his posts over the last few years, but reading it now somehow magnified the effect to total envy. 

I recently had a perfect opportunity to establish a better foothold in HI, but I blew it.  Last month I could have converted (1031) a rental property here in NJ that became vacant.  Instead of finding something on Maui, I found a new tenant, so the cycle continues for at least another year or so.  Did I mention, I blew it...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Florida is tempting, but it’s so crowded.  I think it might be worth the crowds, though.

Florida is crowded if you’re a tourist, because you went to worst places. There are miles of empty beaches and cheap housing.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
totally agree------if you dont need the "right" community and the "right" club, fl is cheap---i prefer "wrong" anyway---less 'tude

problem is wave quality/frequency----since we're "choosing" where to live

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:18:07 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
totally agree------if you dont need the "right" community and the "right" club, fl is cheap---i prefer "wrong" anyway---less 'tude

I would agree with that for Southern FL, total junk when it comes to waves. That was my experience.

I recently came back from Northern FL and that was a different world, total joy. 5 great breaks in a radius of 1 hour driving.
I found a working break almost everyday. variety of waves almost no crowds, I was told Floridians are wimps when it comes
to cool weather as to the reason. Definitely worth look.
in progress...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
Florida is tempting, but it’s so crowded.  I think it might be worth the crowds, though.

South Florida is really crowded, and the rare times they get surf it's PACKED .   Melbourne and surrounding areas are great because there are so many empty beaches to choose from and I typically surf alone.  Many times I wish I had  company to lessen my odds of a shark attack   ;D
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:45:58 PM by Dwight (DW) »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »

South Florida is really crowded, and the rare times they get surf it's PACKED .   Melbourne and surrounding areas are great because there are so many empty beaches to choose from and I typically surf alone.  Many times I wish I had  company to lessen my odds of a shark attack   ;D

I am going to start making somewhat regular trips to Melbourne possibly starting as soon as this summer and definitely next winter. I want to spend time there in different seasons, look for AirBNBs in areas that I can likely afford and make sure I feel like I will enjoy living there and not just visiting.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »

I would agree with that for Southern FL, total junk when it comes to waves. That was my experience.

I recently came back from Northern FL and that was a different world, total joy. 5 great breaks in a radius of 1 hour driving.
I found a working break almost everyday. variety of waves almost no crowds, I was told Floridians are wimps when it comes
to cool weather as to the reason. Definitely worth look.

When I went to Amelia Island, just north of JAX, around New Year's there were a fair number of people out.  I was in a 3mm farmer john and long sleeve rash guard and was toasty. It was reasonably nice out. The Gulf side is really flat and the Atlantic side is flat a lot, but gets more good days.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2019, 07:17:33 PM »
you could be right DW, in that i go to florida for short stints so i am just not there for the swells--so it feels like there is more surf at home--otoh home for me is the break listed first in the article you linked

" if you like big cities and hypothermia......"

and the article understates the area-----btwn monmouth county nj and longbeach ny, mostly within an hours drive of Brooklyn, are breaks that handle 200 degrees plus of wind direction--it's got to be pretty south for there not to be a break that works if there's any sort of swell coming in--like bean said

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:19:08 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
I am not ashamed of being happy with long boards and little waves; the east coast is fine. I am still detoxing from adrenaline overdoses that occurred in the 70s and 80s. If it's dead flat then it's time to fish offshore.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal