Author Topic: Retiring But where?  (Read 25627 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Retiring But where?
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »
The graph is not part of my decision process. Another factor is comfort zone with remaining balance in retirement accounts when I start taking SS. The math on what that balance can provide annually with a very slow or no decline has some voodoo involved. And it could take an unexpected hit. There is no way to predict how much that could be if it happens. I cannot cover all the "what ifs?" so I have to pick and choose and try to cover the ones with the highest likelihood but factor in costs. The closer I get, the harder it is to be completely objective.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
Yes, but there's body of investment research going back about a hundred years that's relevant to the decision process. The simplest number is you can spend four percent of your savings per year, which is both historically "safe" and makes sense mathematically. I aim for three percent to stay on the conservative side of that.

There's not much point in trying to plan for world economic collapse, which I consider going short on Armageddon. I keep the entire process very simple, with index funds and very low expense for the investments. Being careful about asset allocations is pretty easy and sets the level of risk/reward.

I should clean up my retirement book, bring it up to date and publish it. Most of the stuff I've read is either dated or flat out wrong. One of the better sources is the Bogleheads website--a forum about investing and retirement. Some of the senior members published a book that's pretty useful. I'm permanently (apparently) banned from posting to the forum because I offered my book for free, asking people to review it and comment. My intentions were honorable but stupid. I should have realized the site gets inundated with investment scammers. The material on the site is generally well thought out and useful. A lot of the members are whackjobs, but they don't really harm the content, though they probably have little home altars to Saint Bogle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
One of my problems is that I often make logic based decisions and emotional actions which are not always in concert with the decisions. I think that is called being human but I am a little too good at it. No book is going to fix that.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
Tell me about it. I live in Hawaii and Oregon--about the worst places to retire to--unless you're hooked on wind and waves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
Tell me about it. I live in Hawaii and Oregon--about the worst places to retire to--unless you're hooked on wind and waves.

Making trade offs, you can retire within your means almost anywhere. HI would be tough; more trade offs than I would like for my budget, especially with regard to housing. I don't care that much about having a big high end place, but I want some semblance of a yard and probably a detached garage out back. I want a sun room. I can get this in an older home in the Space Coast for a very reasonable price. But the point I was making is that I need to be careful that a piece of property fitting that description is sound, in a location I will be happy with and a good financial decision. I could easily fall in love with a house too quickly and ignore some warning signs.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
good on florida is it assesses no state inheritance or estate taxes--worth considering, if you are relocating an elderly relative who might have a sizeable estate, or youre relocating an elderly YOU, and YOU might have a sizeable estate

fed is now exempt up to appx 11.5mm--so a person has to be somewhat rich to be affected--but some 16 states, like CT, have estate taxes, wher they assess an effective rate of > 10% on estates in the 3-11.5 mm range--that's real money! and 6 states still have an inheritance tax--maryland is the only state with both!!   ya let's move to baltimore!!

i always giggle when working class trumpians and tea partiers start carping about the "death tax"---they are so conned..........

same giggle when i hear "she wants to tax you 70%" being spoken to a bunch of trumpians--where the avg income in the crowd might be 100k at best.....and they boo mightily!             so funny

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:01:10 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
eastbound.....I can picture you giggling, and it’s a very UGLY picture. That’s your best shot? It sucks to be you. Cheers

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2019, 04:49:10 AM »
did i touch a raw nerve, rider?

sorry if youre one of those folk bitching about the death tax, when you dont even have an ira!!

troll on--and cue up the part (again) where you tell us how wealthy you are

no more giggle--laughing hysterically--thanks much

keep em coming--you make it fun to be me!! yay
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »
good on florida is it assesses no state inheritance or estate taxes--worth considering, if you are relocating an elderly relative who might have a sizeable estate, or youre relocating an elderly YOU, and YOU might have a sizeable estate

fed is now exempt up to appx 11.5mm--so a person has to be somewhat rich to be affected--but some 16 states, like CT, have estate taxes, wher they assess an effective rate of > 10% on estates in the 3-11.5 mm range--that's real money! and 6 states still have an inheritance tax--maryland is the only state with both!!   ya let's move to baltimore!!

i always giggle when working class trumpians and tea partiers start carping about the "death tax"---they are so conned..........

same giggle when i hear "she wants to tax you 70%" being spoken to a bunch of trumpians--where the avg income in the crowd might be 100k at best.....and they boo mightily!             so funny

I want to get out of NC before cashing out my paltry 401k.  North Carolina doesn’t need more of my tax money.  Certainly not until the state gov starts doing something helpful with it.

Isn’t it amazing how many of the people who support trump are actually going to potentially be hurt by his policies.  I saw a bumper sticker yesterday, “Prison for Hillary”, that was irritating because these people aren’t giving a damn about trump’s crimes and general crookedness. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
...yay

Clearly we need a kinder gentler Zone... ;D

FL has a great advantage over many other states in that it garners a large chunk of tax revenue from the tourism industry. 

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »
Florida is tempting, but it’s so crowded.  I think it might be worth the crowds, though.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
I'm in the camp that stays put.  I'll probably never move closer than a 45 minute commute to the beach here in So Cal, but I can afford my little house, and should be able to retire before everything goes completely south.  Knowing what's required to live in So Cal, and having done so all my life certainly makes staying more plausible than moving here to retire. 

We do have a rather cool option for future beach access/staycations.  Due to absolutely zero brilliance on my part, my daughter went to school in Santa Barbara (Westmont, no UC Isla Vista) and now has found herself with a career and a strong desire to stay permanently in the area.  We might be called upon to "assist" with a down payment on a house at some distant point in the future.  We've discussed terms: Our bucks buy us lodging for up to a predetermined time limit where we don't wear out our welcome.  A few days a month should be all that's needed to keep the stoke alive and offer a nice break. 

This clever ruse will allow the other part of the plan to come to fruition; going from full time employment to something like 75%, 66%, 50%, done over a few years as my 60's turn into my 70's.   I look at Pono and think to myself "I gotta find a hobby or just keep working."  I think my wife would feed me a high velocity lead pill if I was home all the time.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
A few comments on some recent posts...

About FL crowds - I am looking at the Space Coast of FL - Brevard County. It is kind of middle ground as far as population/crowds. Big enough to have quality healthcare, ample goods/services available locally, plenty to do and some like minded folks to do things with. But no sprawling metropolis or crazy crowded tourist areas. They get tourists there but the area isn't overwhelmed by them.

I don't have a problem with a large sum of money being taxed when it changes hands, especially when the person or persons receiving it did nothing to earn it.

The biggest recent expansion in US manufacturing seems to be manufacturing facts. The trouble is that everyone agrees with this but fingers are being pointed in all directions. So it is not surprising that some people support politicians who don't seem to have their best interests at heart.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »
<<Clearly we need a kinder gentler Zone... ;D>>

actually, i think we already have a very kind zone---as far as these things go

trolls will be trolls---no effect but for fun-or to be ignored---nbd by me

in this case the trolling added laughter, a good thing!

re florida--not for me due to wave scarcity, tho my blue hair would fit in nicely

i will be sure to keep my estate out of CT, which means i have a couple of houses for sale some time before they toe tag me--maybe ill throw em in with the next bklyn blowout!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal