Author Topic: Retiring But where?  (Read 5215 times)

RideTheGlide

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Retiring But where?
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »
The graph is not part of my decision process. Another factor is comfort zone with remaining balance in retirement accounts when I start taking SS. The math on what that balance can provide annually with a very slow or no decline has some voodoo involved. And it could take an unexpected hit. There is no way to predict how much that could be if it happens. I cannot cover all the "what ifs?" so I have to pick and choose and try to cover the ones with the highest likelihood but factor in costs. The closer I get, the harder it is to be completely objective.
2016 Naish Glide 14x30 GTW
2017 GoPlus 9'9" x 6" iSUP (generic low end all around)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
Yes, but there's body of investment research going back about a hundred years that's relevant to the decision process. The simplest number is you can spend four percent of your savings per year, which is both historically "safe" and makes sense mathematically. I aim for three percent to stay on the conservative side of that.

There's not much point in trying to plan for world economic collapse, which I consider going short on Armageddon. I keep the entire process very simple, with index funds and very low expense for the investments. Being careful about asset allocations is pretty easy and sets the level of risk/reward.

I should clean up my retirement book, bring it up to date and publish it. Most of the stuff I've read is either dated or flat out wrong. One of the better sources is the Bogleheads website--a forum about investing and retirement. Some of the senior members published a book that's pretty useful. I'm permanently (apparently) banned from posting to the forum because I offered my book for free, asking people to review it and comment. My intentions were honorable but stupid. I should have realized the site gets inundated with investment scammers. The material on the site is generally well thought out and useful. A lot of the members are whackjobs, but they don't really harm the content, though they probably have little home altars to Saint Bogle.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
One of my problems is that I often make logic based decisions and emotional actions which are not always in concert with the decisions. I think that is called being human but I am a little too good at it. No book is going to fix that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
Tell me about it. I live in Hawaii and Oregon--about the worst places to retire to--unless you're hooked on wind and waves.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
Tell me about it. I live in Hawaii and Oregon--about the worst places to retire to--unless you're hooked on wind and waves.

Making trade offs, you can retire within your means almost anywhere. HI would be tough; more trade offs than I would like for my budget, especially with regard to housing. I don't care that much about having a big high end place, but I want some semblance of a yard and probably a detached garage out back. I want a sun room. I can get this in an older home in the Space Coast for a very reasonable price. But the point I was making is that I need to be careful that a piece of property fitting that description is sound, in a location I will be happy with and a good financial decision. I could easily fall in love with a house too quickly and ignore some warning signs.