Author Topic: Leash toe advice  (Read 3181 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Leash toe advice
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
Have used some narrow guage parachute cord but that failed once.
What do folks like to use to secure the leash to the board for SUP wave riding?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash toe advice
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:52:06 AM »
Good quality yacht rope.

Usually something that has a Dyneema core, and a highly abrasion-resistant outer.

Marlow make some good stuff. I can usually find a colour to match the board or pad, as well, it you really want to get obsessional about it.

This stuff is not cheap. But it lasts pretty much forever and won’t let you down. Use the widest stuff you can thread into the leash plug. I also superglue the knot, to make sure it can’t come undone, and use a proper hot knife to cut it.

I once had a leash cord snap when I was nearly an hour’s swim from shore on a cold (water 4C) winter’s day with fading light. Since then I have taken leash rope very seriously, and I always install my own to the board, and not use the cheap stuff that comes with the leash.

Hope this helps.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:08:40 AM »
http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html

love the leashlok belts

but the webbing attachments are great--you can hang a car from them--same tech used to make rock climbing runners
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25:21 AM »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
+1 on Amsteel and/or Dyneema. Get it at West Marine.

Incredibly strong and abrasion resistant. You'll see how strong it is when you try to cut it. It will outlast your board.

Why are the links we post not working?  For some reason they take you to a useless Vigilink page.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:45:55 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:35 AM »
T-L...   Send me your address in a PM.  I have a buncha that cord.  (those webbing loops look pretty cool - I might make myself one)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
Thanks for some great options! Off hand what thickness can fit?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:00 AM »
6mm Dyneema Downhaul line Every windsurfing shop has (Should have it) easy to use NEVER (many hundreds of guys using it...I put it on every board or leash I sell)
If you can't find it PM me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:32:54 AM »
Good quality yacht rope.

Usually something that has a Dyneema core, and a highly abrasion-resistant outer.

Marlow make some good stuff. I can usually find a colour to match the board or pad, as well, it you really want to get obsessional about it.

This stuff is not cheap. But it lasts pretty much forever and won’t let you down. Use the widest stuff you can thread into the leash plug. I also superglue the knot, to make sure it can’t come undone, and use a proper hot knife to cut it.

I once had a leash cord snap when I was nearly an hour’s swim from shore on a cold (water 4C) winter’s day with fading light. Since then I have taken leash rope very seriously, and I always install my own to the board, and not use the cheap stuff that comes with the leash.

Hope this helps.

A10,
I was wondering if you could give me a link for buying some suitable yacht rope to use as a leash tie in the UK?
Cheers!

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »
windsurf down haul line will out last you !    I use on all my sup and surfboards !

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
Good quality yacht rope.

Hope this helps.

A10,
I was wondering if you could give me a link for buying some suitable yacht rope to use as a leash tie in the UK?
Cheers!
I don’t know if I’m allowed to post direct links, but I use Marlow Excel Racing. It is Dyneema SK75 core with a 16 plait polyester cover. So strong and abrasion-resistant. Try between 3 and 6mm widths depending on how much clearance the leash plug has. If you aren’t sure, try some 4mm. It has a breaking strain of 1152kg. If you end up with a weight of 1152kg pulling in your leg you are gonna have bigger worries than your leash loop breaking :) If however your leash plug seems a bit tight, then 3mm will do (a mere 463kg). You could always double up.

Google boat ropes UK Marlow Excel Racing.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
Thank you so much for your help with the information! Really appreciated!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 04:25:14 AM »
yep the webbing loops look cool--neat, clean, good colors, perfect length, and, like 2 or 3 bucks each as i recall
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal