Author Topic: Each year, between 4,000 and 6,000 tons of sunscreen washes off into reef areas  (Read 2158 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
...a lift from this article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article225224305.html?utm_source=STAT+Newsletters&utm_campaign=9b1ad42649-MR_COPY_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-9b1ad42649-151101361

I just checked the two I have from OZ ...one has castor oil. I remember all that oily c'hit the 'Housewives of NJ' types would use, but I haven't noticed that at the beach recently.

And thinking, how about the 2-stroke outboards that literally inject oily combustion subsurface?   Anyway.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
what are good reef safe blocks to buy. I'm using the newish blocks that are basicly zinc oxide.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Tom,   I buy stuff made in OZ  ..not that I have any reefs to worry about, but like a lot of 'Merican regulations, you can 'boast/imply/say' a lot of c'hit without actually having to be honest in your representation.  (that did not start two years ago either....)  I gather OZ takes the welfare of their citizenry a lot more seriously.   I like Blue Lizard 30+ .. and Sun Sense 50+.  SS very thin compared to BL which has beeswax, but also states it is 4hr water resistant. BL says; 'reapply every two hours'. 

BL has Titanium Dioxide 5% and Zinc Oxide 10% ... SS has Benzophenone-3 ..some unspecified %.

I had to look this up...

Benzophenone-3 (BP-3) is a naturally occurring chemical found in some flowering plants. BP-3 absorbs and scatters the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. For this reason, it is produced for use as sunscreen in lotions, conditioners, and cosmetics. BP-3 also is used in plastic products to block and prevent UV rays from altering the plastic and the contents inside.  (maybe we should increase these plants in our diet?)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
AllGood works pretty well

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I have been using nothing but Blue Lizard for several years now. Stuff works great.  I pretty much apply it once and that keeps me good all day even with being in and out of the water.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I looked at Australian Blue Lizard on Amazon and it lists the ingredients as

Ingredients
Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Oxybenzone 3%, Zinx Oxide 5.7%, Water,Ethylhexyl palmitate, Ethylhexyl stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, Cetyl dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl laurate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylated Silica Dimethicone, Octododecyl, Neopentanoate, PVP/hexadecane copolymer Tocopheryl acetate, Hydrogenated Castor oil, PEG-7 hydrogenated castor oil Methyl glucose dioleate, Propylene glycol, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl area

Sun Sense doesn't have their ingredient listed on Amazon but it is sold there.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

Ingredients
Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Oxybenzone 3%, Zinx Oxide 5.7%, Water,Ethylhexyl palmitate, Ethylhexyl stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, Cetyl dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl laurate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Trimethylated Silica Dimethicone, Octododecyl, Neopentanoate, PVP/hexadecane copolymer Tocopheryl acetate, Hydrogenated Castor oil, PEG-7 hydrogenated castor oil Methyl glucose dioleate, Propylene glycol, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl area

that is because you are looking at the sport version which I don't use and was recommended not to use because I heard it was not as good

look at the ingredients for the sensitive version which is recommended and only what I use

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Lizard-Australian-Sunscreen-Protection/dp/B003AVNK0S/ref=pd_cp_194_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003AVNK0S&pd_rd_r=4ad120ed-2bf2-11e9-b82a-7d23db4f75b9&pd_rd_w=vzW7k&pd_rd_wg=SjPPe&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=G5ZCFH6740WFBMZJCMP1&psc=1&refRID=G5ZCFH6740WFBMZJCMP1

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

Ingredients

that is because you are looking at the sport version which I don't use and was recommended not to use because I heard it was not as good

look at the ingredients for the sensitive version which is recommended and only what I use

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Lizard-Australian-Sunscreen-Protection/dp/B003AVNK0S/ref=pd_cp_194_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003AVNK0S&pd_rd_r=4ad120ed-2bf2-11e9-b82a-7d23db4f75b9&pd_rd_w=vzW7k&pd_rd_wg=SjPPe&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=G5ZCFH6740WFBMZJCMP1&psc=1&refRID=G5ZCFH6740WFBMZJCMP1

Thanks, just ordered some.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
One tip from my Costa Rica trip. I used headhunter tinted face stick and it lasted better than anything I’ve ever used. Also, you can see when it’s been worn off so way easier to manage.

7 days of surfing, three without a hat, and no burn. I was stunned.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
General consensus is that mineral-based sunscreens are "reef friendly." these are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the active ingredients.

Chemical sunscreens have been shown to damage coral reef, especially OXYBENZONE and OCTINOXATE.

Hawaii was the 1st state to ban these 2 chemicals last year. Key West recently followed, like earlier this week I believe.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/health/hawaii-sunscreen-ban/index.html

This is not my specialty area, but as an environmental activist, I'm happy to share what I do know about this subject.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal