Author Topic: getting back on the pad  (Read 17333 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: getting back on the pad
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
the way I try to get better but not spoil the ride is I try to focus on one improvement with each go out. I will look at the conditions before I go out and tell my self that today is a good day to work on getting my back foot on the tail, or to work on my back side bottom turn,. or work on my front side re-entry, etc. I may just try the improvement at the end of each ride, but I do find this works for me.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 05:22:41 PM »
Almost 3 years now on my 10' Coreban Icon and I'm really comfortable stepping back as needed. I've been surfing better and better just sticking with this one board. My old 9' green machine turned on a dime. I could just think about turning front side or back and it would go. Like Creek said my back toe was dragging right at the side bite and that's as far as I would ever need to go back. I actually don't know how far back on the tail pad (if any) that I ever was. I could feel the ridge under my heel, and that was the spot. My 9' green machine is all but retired now. Mold growing down the stringer. Still surfs, but too heavy, with too many repairs. I think if you keep switching boards, you never get a chance to really see what you can get out of the board you have. I wouldn't make a good board salesman. "You should just stick it out with your old board before you go buying a new one."  ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 12:09:20 AM »
Talldude: when i first read that I didnt understand it. Now after 6 months of near daily use of my JL SG
i do. And i am back on the stomp pad much more often and finding i can get agressive at throwing the board around with my feet

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
Great news. By the way, the board has not changed. You are just getting much better. Pushing yourself and spending "Time in the surf" is paying off. Changing boards all the time doesn't usually improve anyone's surfing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »
As far as getting that rear foot back far enough, two things really helped me, and are currently helping my wife to get it.
1. Understanding the difference between stepping back with a weighted back foot, which will usually just stall the board. and balancing all of your weight on your front foot just behind the handle, and then stretching your back foot back as you lean forward. Once the rear foot is all the way back there, then you can shift your weight as needed.
2. Arch bars are awesome. Before having an arch bar, I would always reach back with my foot and wonder if I was a foot from the kick pad or just inches. With the arch bar, I can tell exactly where my rear foot is without looking. I think that an arch bar is far more valuable when surfing than a kickpad most of the time. It gives you a range to work with that is centered over the fin cluster, rather than just an endpoint. Works wonders.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Changing boards all the time doesn't usually improve anyone's surfing.

I have to disagree. I change boards often and have experienced much improvement from it. In the past six months my 10'6 has improved my backside surfing and take offs. My 7'6 has improved my turns and the ability to generate speed, and my 8'10 has improved my ability on big days. I sometimes surf all three boards in a single session. Having just one board can be limiting.

I've bought eight boards in the past six years as I progressed narrowing it down to three which seem to cover every situation. Having a specific board for certain conditions allows me to surf more.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:00:44 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »
badger---id love to see video of you surfing your 3 very different boards, same session---i am simply not skilled enough to surf my best under those circumstances

if i have a board dialed in, i am reticent to swap around, certainly not among boards whose dimensions vary significantly--if the waves are good i just dont want to sacrifice any quality of experience messing around with or trying out new gear--not when i have gear that's dialed--and with maneuvers that i want to learn there are already innumerable ways to screw up nice waves!

on my kinda boards, if your foot isnt often on the stomp, youre not really surfing the board--even when you need to accelerate---keep the foot back on the stomp, spread wide, and lean forward, but keep the back foot on the stomp--and the stomp is where powerful pumps happen, so if you're back there pumping, you likely have all the speed you need anyway

and stalls, turns?? all that happens better with back foot on the stomp
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
badger---id love to see video of you surfing your 3 very different boards, same session---i am simply not skilled enough to surf my best under those circumstances

if i have a board dialed in, i am reticent to swap around, certainly not among boards whose dimensions vary significantly--if the waves are good i just dont want to sacrifice any quality of experience messing around with or trying out new gear--not when i have gear that's dialed--and with maneuvers that i want to learn there are already innumerable ways to screw up nice waves!

on my kinda boards, if your foot isnt often on the stomp, youre not really surfing the board--even when you need to accelerate---keep the foot back on the stomp, spread wide, and lean forward, but keep the back foot on the stomp--and the stomp is where powerful pumps happen, so if you're back there pumping, you likely have all the speed you need anyway

and stalls, turns?? all that happens better with back foot on the stomp

Getting back on the stomp is precisely what I've been working on lately. I'm not quite there yet. Those are good tips.

If a board is working for a session, I stay with it. I only change boards if the conditions change or if it's crowded and I'm falling too much. I watch dudes on shortrboards shredding our mushy waves and I know I can do it too. All my boards turn pretty well without having my foot all the way back but I really want to be able to throw some spray someday.

I've been asking everyone with a camera to get me on some video but it hasn't happened yet.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »
I found after all this time the one thing I've struggled with the most is getting my foot back on the pad.  I always felt comfortable about 4" up from the pad.  Recently I decided to start to try to work back to the pad and man what a difference.  Night and day.  Before I had my foot right infront of where the pad started which was directly infront of my front fins.  After getting a feel for when I could put my foot back to the pad and getting used to my foot feeling for the different pad texture things started to turn on.  I found if I had mushy waves I couldn't get my foot back on the bottom turn.  Only steep drops or else I would stall out.  However when I worked up some speed down the line and wanted to hit the lip I could get it back there everytime.  I tried moving my front foot back but that caused the nose to pop up and the board to stall.  The way I had to do it was to just stretch my stance to get my back foot back an extra 6" (Keeping my front foot where it always is).  As soon as I did it my turns went from slow to snappy.  I managed to get out this weekend and took some stills and a quick video clip.  You can see my foot could still go back another 3-4" to hit the back of the tail pad so there's more to gain.  So much harder tuns and more spray!  If you aren't getting your foot back on the pad you are missing out on the capabilities of turning your SUP for sure.  Can't believe I've had to learn this lesson again.  Seems like every new board I get.

https://youtu.be/-JnbFnaKZNk

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:05:33 PM by StarboardSUPMan »

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
he way I had to do it was to just stretch my stance to get my back foot back an extra 6" (Keeping my front foot where it always is).  As soon as I did it my turns went from slow to snappy.

I've been watching this guy (Casso on Seabreeze) for his technique for getting back to the pad.  I agree that getting your foot back without moving the front foot much. What I like about his videos are that he gets in close so you can see his footwork. Also, this board is the same as mine, so no excuses for me based on the board.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:22:36 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »
Nice vid StarSUPman!
What length board are you riding?

I think length plays a part in getting far enough back.
When I ride my mid-9 fters, I find that I tend to stall if I am on the stomper, and have to move around too much to benefit from being way back.

Size matters IMO

For me, I find my 8'11 is where even a 71 year old man can start to get jiggy.  ;)

Here is a 20 sec vid that shows my 8'11...
it's a triple loop, the slo-mo is easier to see that my front foot is behind the handle, so back foot is stomping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcGIj5mOmw

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 05:46:19 AM »
SupSean - That’s a nice video serious foot work.  It’s just practice and timing keep reaching for the pad

Creek - thanks! You are really hitting the lip in your video!  the board is 8’ x 27 so it’s on the shorter side.  I agree board size makes a difference I have an 8’4 and It’s a little more difficult.  However to counter this I also had a 7’4” board I struggled to get back on as well.  I’ve found if I move my front foot back things go badly.  Nose pops up and I stall.  Keeping my front foot planted and stretching back feels weird at first but when you feel the difference it’s addicting.  Also I only do it when I want that extra snap.  Bottom turns and cutbacks. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:48:04 AM by StarboardSUPMan »

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
StarSUP...
"Keeping my front foot planted and stretching back feels weird at first but when you feel the difference it’s addicting"
I love the way that looks!!!

But, it is my biggest issue...
The knee on my "power leg" is very suspect, so I always wear a brace.
Any movement or pressure caused by a wider stance or dropping the knee toward the board like in a "pig dog".... and my knee would collapse. Zero strength or durability that way.

So... I can't "reach back" for the stomper and do a slashing turn... it's all gotta be done without side to side movement of my knee joint.
So I improvise weak, upright top turns, instead of slashes  ;D ;D

Love Sean Poynters back leg extension!!!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:13 AM »
StarSUP...
"Keeping my front foot planted and stretching back feels weird at first but when you feel the difference it’s addicting"
I love the way that looks!!!

But, it is my biggest issue...
The knee on my "power leg" is very suspect, so I always wear a brace.
Any movement or pressure caused by a wider stance or dropping the knee toward the board like in a "pig dog".... and my knee would collapse. Zero strength or durability that way.

So... I can't "reach back" for the stomper and do a slashing turn... it's all gotta be done without side to side movement of my knee joint.
So I improvise weak, upright top turns, instead of slashes  ;D ;D

Love Sean Poynters back leg extension!!!

Thanks for posting Sean (Poynter) vs. Rick. He has just a slight age advantage over you!  BTW, I am in awe that you do what you do with a janky knee! What you lack in flexibility you make up in smooth style!

StarSUP Its funny because I have read alot about the back foot and on these crappy NYC waves, its always been a struggle. But just recently thanks to the Casso vid above, and your post, it was a huge game changer to not move the front foot. Now I just need the pesky corona to leave town so I can get back to work...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:51 AM »
I agree with SupSean.  Rick you have a great smooth confident style on waves.  Makes it fun to watch!

I had the good fortune to do a SUP clinic with Sean Poynter 3
Years ago.  He showed me a bunch of things to up my game, but his SUP surfing is on a whole new level.  Talk about a power surfer.  I tried to ride his board and couldn’t even get on my knees.  Something like 7’2 x 24” around 76 liters.  But it was fun trying

I’ve found each session I have to keep reminding myself to get back on the pad.  Super helpful to have that different texture so you know you’ve made it.  Still can’t make it all the way back to the raised part at the end.  I also moved my center fin forward on my thruster setup I wonder once I get this pad technique down if I can move it back to its original position.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal