Stand Up Paddle > Technique

getting back on the pad

(1/7) > >>

toolate:
I surf a JL stun gun now for 2 years. I used to think " why did they put the kick pad so far back, i'll never get on that except in the steepest waves" (admittedly the SG seems to be FOR steep waves.)

But over time i find i am back there more and more. Wondering what accounts for that ? I mean obviously technique is getting better but how could that slow learning curve for me have been speeded up?

mrbig:
Supboarder the mag has a good vid on that topic.

I am sure there are others!

supthecreek:
It's a funny thing.
On my 14'r, I get back to the stomper on every turn...
but on my 9'4 , I never do.

Necessity most likely in my case... the 14 won't turn unless I am at the tail,
but my 9'4 turns really well with my back foot on the rail, over the side bite.
I also suspect that on my 9'4, standing all the way back on the stomper stalls the board.
A person my height, but 50 lbs lighter may have the same stance as me, but on a smaller board, his back foot will be on the stomper and his front will be near the handle, so no stalling.

On speeding up the learning curve:
Early on, I had a hard time getting myself to switch paddle sides when turning, so.....
I would spend entire sessions on ONLY that.

Before a wave I would say "Switch paddle sides"!!!!!
That was my only focus, I didn't care about the rest of the ride....

my sole purpose was to ingrain the paddle switch into a routing action.

FRP:
Creek

I admire your commitment to improving your surfing. It is easily said but for many of us, myself included, it is difficult to pass on a good ride on a wave. This is what my surfing mentor told me to do if I wanted to learn to bottom turn. For an entire session make your bottom turn so hard that you kick out the back of the wave. One turn, one wave. Do you think I can do this? No ......I just hate to think that I have “wasted” a good wave. Now you have given me another goal of changing paddle side going left but also another prod to improve my bottom which is likely going to involve getting my back foot a little further back.

Cheers

Bob

toolate:
this is great advice
--- Quote from: supthecreek on February 03, 2019, 03:17:22 PM ---It's a funny thing.
On my 14'r, I get back to the stomper on every turn...
but on my 9'4 , I never do.

Necessity most likely in my case... the 14 won't turn unless I am at the tail,
but my 9'4 turns really well with my back foot on the rail, over the side bite.
I also suspect that on my 9'4, standing all the way back on the stomper stalls the board.
A person my height, but 50 lbs lighter may have the same stance as me, but on a smaller board, his back foot will be on the stomper and his front will be near the handle, so no stalling.

On speeding up the learning curve:
Early on, I had a hard time getting myself to switch paddle sides when turning, so.....
I would spend entire sessions on ONLY that.

Before a wave I would say "Switch paddle sides"!!!!!
That was my only focus, I didn't care about the rest of the ride....

my sole purpose was to ingrain the paddle switch into a routing action.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version