Author Topic: TRACE UP - Wanted  (Read 3630 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
TRACE UP - Wanted
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »
Does anyone have a TRACE that they would be willing to sell or give away?

These are notoriously hard to find now.  I have gone through 3 of them. 

First one cracked, was replaced.  Second one (Probably refurbished) eventually battery didn't last more than 45 minutes.  3rd one (From PonoBill) is still trucking but oddly it dumps 3 minutes of data from every 10 minutes (don't ask how I figured it out).  4th One went Belly Up last weekend.  Just DIED. 

Any way you cut it this device still delivers the most accurate surf tracking available @ 5 readings per second.  Way outperforms RipCurl and others (e.g. iPhone and iWatch applications) and I NEED THE DATA.

PS: No you are not hallucinating I have made this exact post before.  Now these things are really hard to find.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: TRACE UP - Wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
When I get back to Hood River I'll put the frankenstein trace together. It will have to go in a waterproof box (I have some that will work) and it will not be the handy thing that Traces are, but the battery should last for weeks. I'll set it up with a USB port charger,
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27:06 AM »
I have one that isn't working if you want to work on it.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:40 AM »
Thank you for the offer but I currently have 1 non-working version now, and one half working.  Its pretty frustrating.

Its amazing that in a technology propelled world a solution can pop up, and then just go extinct.   I haven't found a viable alternative to the TRACE that records GPS way points 5 X per second.  The GoPro Session also comes to mind.  Great little device, light and recorded beautiful video.  Discontinued.

The iWatch might be able to do it but only records 1X per second.  This can be proven with a STRAVA download.   

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:10:58 AM »
Thank you for the offer but I currently have 1 non-working version now, and one half working.  Its pretty frustrating.

Its amazing that in a technology propelled world a solution can pop up, and then just go extinct.   I haven't found a viable alternative to the TRACE that records GPS way points 5 X per second.  The GoPro Session also comes to mind.  Great little device, light and recorded beautiful video.  Discontinued.

The iWatch might be able to do it but only records 1X per second.  This can be proven with a STRAVA download.

Yeah, and they were really nice guys. Sucks that it looks like they went out of business (I probably helped with that - they sent me on a all-expenses paid trip to Tavarua).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »

Wow - 5 times a second? Most GPS components I have dealt with won't do but twice. I guess you could have 3 or 4 GPS components in one device and on power up keep restarting some of them as necessary until you get them out of phase at short intervals. Or using one GPS it could be inferred and faked using a gyro/accelerometer between GPS updates. That's what they use in game controllers to track your motion bowling, swinging a racket/bat/club, etc.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »

Wow - 5 times a second? Most GPS components I have dealt with won't do but twice. I guess you could have 3 or 4 GPS components in one device and on power up keep restarting some of them as necessary until you get them out of phase at short intervals. Or using one GPS it could be inferred and faked using a gyro/accelerometer between GPS updates. That's what they use in game controllers to track your motion bowling, swinging a racket/bat/club, etc.
In the sound sampling world those sample points can be created via Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. The Trace maybe using a similar theorem to create implied or assumed GPS read points?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:37:29 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
Bump

Any love here?

TRACES wanted.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Have you considered using the Locoysys GW-60 ?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »
Have you considered using the Locoysys GW-60 ?

I would consider anything at this point.  I can't seem to find much that is informative on this device:

Locoysys GW-60

https://www.locosystech.com/en/product/gps-watch-gw-60.html

The video is a bit lackluster showing a bunch of people zipping around.  Nothing about the watch or the data.  I want data:

https://youtu.be/ylAWjIKgHRo

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »

I would consider anything at this point. 

Have you looked into Garmin?  The cameras with tracking built in (Virb)?  I tried several of the gps options and that's the only that worked reliably and the data is easy to export.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
Lots of info on the GW-60 if you google speed sailing and gw-60.

https://www.gps-speedsurfing.com

You will find info on Seabreeze as well

As far as data here are the two more popular programs available.

GPS Action Replay  (www.gpsactionreplay.com)

GPS Results (www.gps-speed.com)

S3Dsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
Bump

Any love here?

TRACES wanted.

Saw a new one at Infinity in Dana Point a couple days ago...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal