Author Topic: Headin' out....  (Read 6280 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Headin' out....
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
....to Encinitas. Been three yrs since my last visit. Was gonna follow Creek's lead to Portugal but there were factors holding me back. Namely the chill there this time of year.....and board bag fees. I'd have been ok w/it but my wife gets cold REALLY easily. So I set my sights on Encinitas, mainly because United Airlines is only charging $40 ea/way for board bags to celebrate surfing becoming the official state sport of CA.
Encinitas here I come. Booked my first Airbnb and it's actually a block closer to the beach than our last stay. 8'0'' Assassin is all bagged, tagged, racked, and ready!
Stoked!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:30:26 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Headin' out....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »
Lots of great surfing in SoCal. I find having a SUP is a great tool. You can paddle to breaks away from good parking and be by yourself. I've got a favorite spot totally visible from PCH with endless rights that I've never seen anyone else on. I have to paddle about half a mile to reach it--it's not accessible by beach.

I don't know if you're surfed Sunset Cliffs before, but I recommend it. Get in touch with Tom. He can show you how to get in and out. The biggest barrier to some nice reef breaks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
Thanx Pono. i guess you didn't remember I visited in Feb 2016. Surfed Cliffs once and Tom showed me the ins and outs there. Sketch access for sure. If you feel like divulging your secret spot maybe pm me? Would love to go on a treasure hunt!
hoping to get up to San O this trip as I missed it last time. Swell doesn't look too strong though.
TallDude contacted me for a sesh so hoping to do a multi-shoot w/the SS.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Cookie, you bringing any of your foil gear? Let me know when you're heading up to Sano...it'd be fun to meet up with you, and shoot the shit if nothing else (I've always got a Thermos of coffee...if you like it black, or black ;)).

It's been a long while since I've SUPed, but could dust off the old Laird, and give ya a good laugh, as I'm sure it's gonna be real sketchy with me trying to relearn how to SUPall over again. Last time I gave it a whirl was about 6 months ago when I loaned my foil setup to a guy who wanted to give it a try, and I jumped on his 8'6" Nectar.

Wobbly as all get out, and first wave I caught I found myself trying to pump it like a foil to build some speed when I felt like I was hardly moving. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get back on my foil, but would be fun to see just how really terrible I've become since that ridiculous adventure. :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 02:49:37 PM »
Cookie, you bringing any of your foil gear? Let me know when you're heading up to Sano...it'd be fun to meet up with you, and shoot the shit if nothing else (I've always got a Thermos of coffee...if you like it black, or black ;)).
No foiling for me this trip. I still need ALOT of time on it b4 even attempting to foil w/anyone near me. I fall alot. PM me your cell. will be cool to meet up for sure.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
It's our biggest storm of the winter yet. Raining super heavy today. Crazy winds too. Supposed to be clearing midweek. Water should be clearing out Thursday Friday.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Ugh, as you know we just had four rainy days  out there on our trip and had to come back to Jersey to get some surf! The way even a small amount of rain runs down the hills is crazy and it really does make the Ocean funky. But such a fun area with a great surf vibe and we did get a little wave in Cardiff. We visited all the surf spots we couldn't surf from La Jolla to Huntington beach but we look forward to returning and in particular getting to surf SanO and Doheny.  The parking area for SanO was locked up because of the heavy rains so we walked down. I'm sure it gets crowded but it really stood out to me a some place special for a Sup surfer. Hoping to get a surf report from SanO to just to fill in the gaps from what we missed from a Jersey perspective.

And another shout out to TallDude who went out of his way to offer me help out any way he could. A double SS session who would very cool!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:52:51 PM »
It oughta clear up but be careful after the storm. Maybe try to find some places not so downstream from people. San Diego proper is dirty for days after a storm.

Wish we had better weather for you man. Hope you still score.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »
If it's any consolation, Maui has been ridiculous lately. It's been raining so hard there is a literal moat around our house. We have good drain systems all over but they're saturated.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 06:58:48 AM »
I'll catch up with you soon but I'm snowed in in Mammoth.  Just had 5 feet and expecting 10

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »
Cook
Enjoy Encinitas and north County SD is one of my favorite places.
hope you find NJ warmer when you get home

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Good move Cookster.
We picked up a VRBO in Encinitas for a 5 day weekend last May to celebrate my son's 30th.  Actually, he stayed at the Campground in San Elijo, and we avoided camping in that sweet 2 bedroom with a nice board storage courtyard, outdoor shower, and a 150 yard walk to the stairs and beach below.  Great way to enjoy north county SD.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
Made it safely to Encinitas. Weather's been schizoid but we're managing to deal. sun is in, sun is out, rain is on, rain is off. Surf's been pretty much outa control so haven't even gotten wet yet. Checked out L Jolla since we missed that bit last trip. Very cool town. Will hopefully put togeth some kinda slideshow w/the many pics I fired off so far.

Thanx for all the attention, Senor Zoners! 

Here's a coupla nice shots for now.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Been a challenge to dodge the rain squalls but me and the wife are making the best of it. Surf should be a go manana!

Cali Vaca- Day 1 & 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zOt5DBubZKlq_Fz0RfiWTN6crApdS5VJ

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard