Author Topic: SHARK!  (Read 1861 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SHARK!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 05:44:50 AM »
Yup. The reason most sharks are not much of a problem is that they know their prey. They are very effective predators which means they specialize. Open ocean is a desert--there aren't a lot of fish or other life per cubic mile. Most shark species are coastal predators and their prey is literally printed in their DNA. It's not that we taste bad or that sharks fear humans, it's simply we are not a reliable food source, so we don't fit the characteristics of the special prey they have evolved to eat. Most bites are test bites--bite and leave. If you've ever seen a GW dismantle a sea lion you'd understand that is NOT what goes on when they bite a human and leave them alive. Given the equipment and power of great whites and the other big sharks, if they were actively hunting humans we wouldn't be able to go within ten feet of the water. But they don't, so we can.

Oceanic whitetips are different--they are generally open-ocean fish, with no opportunity to specialize in reliable prey so they eat anything they come upon. Mostly that means carcasses floating, but they'll try anything.  Given the vast volume of the ocean, the chances of encountering an oceanic whitetip are vanishingly small--unless they gather in response to a plume of scent that indicates food. A few people bleeding will do the job. Though it might take a day for the sharks to find the source, they'll eventually get there.

Most reports of sharks killing survivors have been somewhat debunked. They probably get some, but most Indianapolis sailors probably died from exposure. No matter what, you'll probably never see one, their numbers are declining rapidly from overfishing and finning.

Whenever I look at that picture, I think "What a beautiful fish." Blue sharks are also amazing.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)
NSP 14' Race (Ghost)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »
Strange that there hasn't been too many sightings up here in Nor-Cal this year yet.

The water has been real clear though.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »
Sheit, that's it, I'm taking up bowling....

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Tenpin, duckpin, candlepin?
Let it come to you..
404 Go Go 14'
404 V3 12'6"
Infinity New Deal 9'6"
SMIK Hipster Twin 9'2"
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
Infinity 8'5" RNB
Infinity 8'5" Blurr V2
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
Taken by a friend of mine, Brian Caserio, a few weeks ago at the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery, on the central coast of Ca.  It was just a taste test (?), maybe, which begs the question, what, it didn't like the taste of an elephant seal?  I wonder how it got away?
It takes a quiver to do that.