Author Topic: Another smoking SS downwinder  (Read 2407 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Another smoking SS downwinder
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »
My trusty, though portly SIC 17 V@ ripped on the SS today in conditions that were ideal for its extra stability, flat rocker, and wave-smashing weight. Fun all the way, in good fatboy conditions. We fatboys require some extra juice to go fast. Got some today.

My V2 is ridiculously heavy, a source of irritation to me, though I have to admit that it's weathered my usual abuse with no visible scars. My V1, on the other hand, is a maze of aluminum tape repairs and conventional repairs.

Weight aside, the old girl was rocking today. A very strange run, with no big swells despite the blistering wind. Everything was knee-high but moving fast, and I connected bumps for hundreds of yards and dozens of swells. I'm pretty sure we did the ten miles in about 1:15, though I am estimating the time since I didn't check at landing, I checked once we had the boards washed, had showered, shot the shit a little and loaded the boards back onto the truck--that was 1:30, so I think my estimate is reasonable.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another smoking SS downwinder
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
someday I'll do this ! :D Just need to move to Oregon where the water stays liquid all year and get in a few hundred hours of training. Your post inspired me to go look for more downwind videos to watch here in the land of frozen frozen-ness. (Warmer here than you poor Polar Vortex-ers but I'm sort of in the Banana Belt of Alaska )

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »
This run is actually Maui. The water in the Columbia is still liquid, and some of my nutty friends are downwinding, but when the first cold rain hits my shoulder I decamp to Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »
I was just in Oregon City ;D  - Oregon is where my winter riding might happen. It was 47 and I would have been banging on the door of the rental shop to paddle the very calm water of the Willamette but I had a really terrible cold lol. Maui sounds great too :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal