Author Topic: LongBoard SUP renaissance  (Read 14409 times)

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
LongBoard SUP renaissance
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:17:57 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY love the longoard style of SUP surfing. The asp SUP world tour or what ever we call it these days has so many guys trying wayy too hard and not getting recognized becasue they are just gettin compared to SLater and FLorence style surfers.

Wouldnt a bigger board contest be more fun to watch ??? I know some pro guys who shred the hell out of those more "traditional sizes" lol
ALOHA

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: LongBoard SUP renaissance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Longboard style is so much more fluid looking and graceful. Way more pleasing to the eye.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
I have two sups. An 8'11" Hammer and a 11'1" One World (whose specs are in my signature). Both boards have 5 fin boxes.

Of the two boards, my 11'1" One World is my favorite of the two boards since it can handle any type of wave the upper Texas coast can throw at it, handle a nice bow tanker wave and lets me enjoy a nice two hour flat water session on a lake.

I am a longboarder at  heart.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:40:37 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »
Yep. Back in the early days of SUP, there was only longboarding, and SUP could compete with surf longboards in terms of moves, tricks etc. But then SIP decided to emulate - badly - surf shortboarding. But the requirement to be able to stand in your board to paddle means that SUPs will always be too big to compete with (shortboard) surfing, and we will always be the poor relation. It simply is not playing to the strengths of the format.

This turn towards short SUPs was substantially driven by windsurfers, with a sinker board mentality, and who want to have a board around the same size as their windsurf boards (that they can get in the back of their vans). Hence the move away from SUPs surf roots (which were very much longboard ones).

Longboarding plays to the strengths of the SUP medium. Longboards are more versatile, more people can ride them, and you can do pretty much anything on one that you could do on a surf longboard. But most of all, longer boards are more fun, for most places and most people.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:00:09 AM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:26:43 AM by Bean »

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »
I was a longtime shorterboarder and the appeal of riding big boards (Laird was the guy at the time), small waves and standing all the time was what got me in to SUP. in the beginning I only SUPed when the waves were small and I had a big, heavy and dangerous 11'0, but once it clicked for me (moving around in the board, surfing more on the tail) I was hooked. The next step was of course riding shorter and shorter and shorter boards.
I just sold my Infinity B-Line 7'11 x 27'' (85 liters) and next month I'll have my new Blurr V2 7'8 x 25.5 (79 liters). I love surfing with small, thin rails SUP and carving as hard as I can, and I surf better on a SUP than on a shortboard. But I also love performance longboard SUPs. I did a couple of sessions on a New Deal 10'0 x 29'' and it's an amazing board, super great fun, and it brought me back to my first days of SUP but with a lot more performance.
SUP opened a lot of possibilities for me, not only riding waves but having fun in the water in every conditions; I started racing and traning (I love surfing with 14'0, the glide is amazing), doing downwinds (had a SIC Bullet 17'4 and now I'm waiting for a Bayonet 17'1), going to the water with my kids on an inflatable, and now I even to go places on holidays that don't surf (that's the biggest benefit my wife saw in me sarting to SUP) and just take a infatable raceboard and explore or paddle.
And now because of SUP I'm going to start foiling.
That's the beauty of SUP, it just opened a wide range of possibilities for me and for a lot of people. High performance SUPs work well for some people, longboard SUP is fun for a lot of people, racing, downwind, touring, even guys that never surfed before or weren't doing sports can have fun on big, high volume SUPs, and that is what sets us apart from the shortboard mentality of only doing one thing and looking down to everything else.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »
Back when I got into standup, I thought the longboard style was where I was headed but as I progressed, I discovered how much I like to turn and carve on rail. I totally enjoy the maneuverability of the shortboard shapes. They are also easier to control, especially as I get older.

It takes a unique discipline to ride a board with parallel rails.  Longboarding can be pleasant to watch but I have no desire to do it myself.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:34 AM »
Great thread Brownsugah!
I have always loved watching good longboard surfing. SUP or traditional.
To me, it is the most beautiful style to watch.
Although the new breed of Pro WSL surfers have evolved past the  "contest angst"  style Huntington hop.
Madina and crowd have launched off Kelly's power carve into a new world of incredible power surfing that is simply amazing to watch.

Unfortunately, many Pro SUP surfers still look like they are trying too hard and end up with too much angst showing in their moves.
Give me a SUPster with a relaxed carve like Colin McPhillips and I'll watch all day!

My longboard renaissance happened in 1970.
After a few years of the "Shortboard Revolution" I started missing my longboard.
So I found a Black Greg Noll  "da Cat" and started bringing both my short and long boards to the beach every session.

Since then I have always enjoyed the variety that comes with a quiver of sizes.
I rarely surf anything under 9' anymore, because I find that sufficient surface area keeps the glide going and that gives me the power to maneuver.
Short enough to "pump" down the line and big enough to enjoy.

I am totally stoked to see longboard SUP's coming back into fashion... I think many people will benefit from this.
We are bringing in a very interesting new Sunova to the US on the late spring container.  ;)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 05:31:01 AM »
Forgive the novice, but from Badger's parallel rail comment, I take it there is a difference between longboard and long board. For instance, one board I would consider as a next board is the VESL 10'6":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539ilvRt95s

After 1:30, it's mostly surfing and you can see does some quick turns and he walks the board. In the right hands (or under the right feet), it appears to be be a pretty good board for the surf. The rails are anything but parallel, though. Is that long board but not longboard?
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
This says it all really.

https://youtu.be/q57exVNV5qQ

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
@ RideTheGlide

That is an excellent video.

I sup surf the upper Texas coast and the Gulf bottom is very shallow. A person can walk out 100 yards from the beach and be only in waist deep water. With it being so shallow and no slope to really generate large waves, most of our waves are small (or tiny) depending on the wind speed since our waves are wind generated.

When I was looking for a long board, I started out with the idea of a board around 10'6" in length. Since I already had and liked my 8'11" Hammer for sup surfing, I figured a 10'6" Hammer would be perfect for flat water paddling on my subdivision's two lake where I live. But I wanted to also surf this length of a board.

I almost pulled the trigger and ordered this the 10'6" Hammer, but when I was rehabbing my surgically repaired right shoulder (very large bone spur that cut 90% through my rotator), I took a small trip over to Lake Conroe (20,000 acres) and there I fortunate to meet a pair of women on the sup boards.

One of the ladies was on her 2009 model, 11'2" x 30" Starboard Blend @ 168 liters with 3 fin boxes. I went over to her and we struck up a friendly conversation and during the conversation I asked how tall she was since she was easily taller than me and she told me she was 5'11" in height. She was also kind enough to tell me she weighed 145 lbs and at the time I weighed 146 pounds. She asked me if I wanted to demo her board right then and there. Even though my surgeon told me my right shoulder would take a year to heal and "not" to ride a sup until my shoulder was fully healed, I took the lady up on her offer.

I paddled her board for about 20 minutes around the marina where we at. But I wanted to know how her Blend would surf our small waves on the upper Texas coast. She told me she surfed her Blend down at Surfside, Tx and that is where I mostly sup surf at. Her Blend did well, but she told me she wished it was 5 liters more in volume to handle some chop better in a crosswind. So I went to YouTube to see if I could find a video with with a SB Blend and I did. The video below is the one which sold me on a long board (longboard for the purists on here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkgWgGCbtw

That is when I switched gears and started to look at a Sup Sports "One World" model. The standard production made One World that I was looking (drooling) at was 11'1" x 30" x 4.6" @ 200 liters with 3 fin boxes. But that was way too much volume for me at 146 lbs and it only had 3 fin boxes and I wanted 5 fin boxes. But I knew WarDog (Warren) at Sup Sports could build me a custom One World to my specifications. But before I called WarDog, I did my homework. I wanted to see a 11'1" One World video in action doing a flat water paddle or a coastal cruise. And the video below is the one I found which finalized my choice (the white colored 11'1" One World in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACvsPN2GII

And WarDog built me my custom 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters One World with 5 fin boxes and two vent holes. My 11'1"board is great at flat water paddling (or coastal cruising) at my weight (which is 144 lbs now). But it can handle all the wave conditions I can run into on the upper Texas coast (Surfside, Galveston Island, Bolivar Peninsula) because of it's thinned out rails, 5 fin boxes and it's narrow pin tail.

A picture of my OW is below. I just hope I don't mess up the picture since I'm not fond of the Zone's lack of previewing a picture.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:16:46 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »
...from Badger's parallel rail comment, I take it there is a difference between longboard and long board.
... The rails are anything but parallel, though. Is that long board but not longboard?

RTG, every longboard is just a little different, from heavy straight logs to lightweight curvy performance shapes.  I like to break longboards into two basic categories, classic longboards and performance longboards.  But, even within the classic longboard category, there are subtle and not so subtle variations.  Hard vs soft rails, degrees of nose and tail rocker, wide point forward or back (pig), and the list goes on. 

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
Think you have to be young or small or extremely fit for your age and surf regularly  to paddle a low volume short SUP....as well as have the skills.

Boards with a bit more glide are everyone else’s friend.....

I think it is good to have a shortish board and a longer board.....personally I prefer boards around 9,5 plus on the waves I have. I just don’t get out enough too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:58:55 AM by coldsup »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:03 AM »
Think you have to be young or small or extremely fit for your age and surf regularly  to paddle a low volume short SUP....as well as have the skills.

Boards with a bit more glide are everyone else’s friend.....

I think it is good to have a shortish board and a longer board.....personally I prefer boards around 9,5 plus on the waves I have. I just don’t get out enough too.

I am 1, maybe 2 out of 4. Actually might even be zero while in rehab for shoulder surgery. Before surgery, I was extremely fit for my age, but it's 60 so I am not young, have not surfed all that much and borderline on small at 5'8" and 155. I am drawn to the longer boards largely because I don't surf enough to have a dedicated board. So I want an all around that can surf well but isn't all that hard to surf and will paddle at a reasonable speed for group paddles on lakes and whatnot.

EDIT - I am also in NC and our summer waves are typically pretty small. I will have ample opportunity to learn to surf my 14' battleship.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:53:38 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
This says it all really.

https://youtu.be/q57exVNV5qQ

that's an excellent longboard vid Area 10, pat got the moves  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal