Author Topic: Yet another "which isup" question - trying to purchase in the next few weeks  (Read 3775 times)

SUP?

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Not to beat this topic to death but I wanted to ask the community for a little help... I am an experienced paddler who spends most of his time touring in light ocean chop.  I am 6' tall, just over 180 pounds and in pretty decent but not tip-top shape.  Generally I paddle between 11' and 12'6" performance boards. (both planning and displacement)  (SIC, Bote, etc)

I split my time between DC and the Bahamas and now find myself traveling quite a bit.  So... I am looking for an inflatable that I can take on business/personal trips.  I'll never race this board but I can't handle the plastic all purpose boards at the hotels. (And we are always arguing about my going too far offshore) I may also use it for Potomac paddles in DC when I can't manage transporting a regular board. I am hoping you help me choose a board with the following criteria in mind:

Travel friendly
Can handle ocean chop - this is definitely not a lake / river board
Primarily for touring but I would welcome something that would allow me to play/surf in small surf
Manual pump friendly - I won't have access to an electric pump.
I don't mind paying up for a better board/durability

I would welcome specific board recs/sizes/shapes in addition to brands (I suspect the brands are Red, Nalu, Starboard)

Sincere thanks in advance to the community for the help!
-carl

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I’d be checking out the 2019 Naish inflatable boards, which will be released soon, I think.

https://www.supboardermag.com/2018/12/07/2019-naish-range-overview-quick-look-with-new-isups/

(Go towards the end of the video)

Might be worth looking at the SIC range too.

All inflatables are pretty grim in ocean chop. So don’t expect too much, whatever you buy.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box1707/Categories/SUP/%22SUP%20Gonflables%22

269 euro, with vat tax removed comes out to about 269 US plus shipping. Hard to overlook these guys.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box1707/Categories/SUP/%22SUP%20Gonflables%22

269 euro, with vat tax removed comes out to about 269 US plus shipping. Hard to overlook these guys.
They are excellent.

SUP?

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
These are all very helpful - thank you! I also keep landing at Red Paddle (11" or 11' 3" sport model) but still open...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I’d be checking out the 2019 Naish inflatable boards, which will be released soon, I think.

https://www.supboardermag.com/2018/12/07/2019-naish-range-overview-quick-look-with-new-isups/

(Go towards the end of the video)

Might be worth looking at the SIC range too.

All inflatables are pretty grim in ocean chop. So don’t expect too much, whatever you buy.

The Naish line does look good, especially in (possibly biased  ::) ) Naish video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=108&v=6EbpXSVq5j8

I am afraid to ask how much, though the only reason I am likely buy another iSUP is if my cheap all around becomes non functional, in which case I would get another budget all round iSUP, maybe stepping up a grade in quality.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
I always have an inflatable in my quiver (that is manly composed of wave, race and downwind boards). My current inflatable is a SIC Maui RS 14'0 x 26'' Air-Glide. You can also find this board in 14'0 x 28'' and 12'6 x 29'', as well as other SIC inflatables as the Bullet 14'0 and Bullet 17'4.
SIC inflatables are light, stiff and very well made. They look like a composite board if you're 5 meters or more away from the board. I already had the FX-Pro Air-Glide and surfed head high waves with it, downwind and toured with the kids.
The boardbag-trolley is great and I use it as my luggage also.
Here's a video I did last year in Thailand:

And here's a photo of the RS Air-Glide from when I went to Cape Verde in New Year's Eve:

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Amazing Sorta new iSUP company that is blowing away my previous iSUP complaints
HYDRUS
Every board tested at 31psi recommended op pressure 20PSI
Super tough materials and construction
made in the USA by great guys in Idahoe
BEST accolade ... You can't buy'm from me. I sell SB, JP, Naish Fanatic YOU NAME IT and I'm putting them in my rental fleet.

PM me I CAN ARRANGE A SERIOUS DISCOUNT through their site

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing
484 515 5758
jim@extremewindsurfing.com

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Amazing Sorta new iSUP company that is blowing away my previous iSUP complaints
HYDRUS
Every board tested at 31psi recommended op pressure 20PSI
Super tough materials and construction
made in the USA by great guys in Idahoe
BEST accolade ... You can't buy'm from me. I sell SB, JP, Naish Fanatic YOU NAME IT and I'm putting them in my rental fleet.

PM me I CAN ARRANGE A SERIOUS DISCOUNT through their site

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing
484 515 5758
jim@extremewindsurfing.com

Thanks for this Jim. I have heard of Hydrus before but knew little about them, and just perused their website. It makes sense that a company in a swift water paddling mecca like Idaho is putting out a durable (claimed) product and a lifetime warranty backs it up. Not unlike Hala who are based out of Colorado who set the standard for their 3 warranty before any of the larger brands did, or would.

I get a lot of my SUP gear shipped to Idaho (great paddling in Idaho btw) and it's cool that a company is operating there now, with what appears to be very good ISUPs and composite boards. I will be in touch with you if I choose to go with one of their boards.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Cool,

Happy to help Not that other (from reputable MFG's not cknockoff stuff) inflatables aren't good but I've been super impressed with the quality of these Hydrus

Let me know if I can help

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal