Author Topic: Looking for a new board  (Read 5553 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a new board
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:43:46 PM »
Hello!

I’m looking for a new board and with the volume of stuff out there, am having trouble finding something that appeals to me. I am currently on a 9’0” x 32”x 4” 2+1 with about 135 liters.  The board looks like a fat longboard. Prior to getting into standup surfing, I almost exclusively surfed 9’ performance thruster longboards.  I’m about 5’7” and 185 lbs and rarely fall off my current board. It surfs great in small waves up to about head high but when it’s fast or powerful, it’s not so good. I don’t usually go out when it’s too big so that’s not really an issue.

I feel this board is bigger than it needs to be so am searching for something smaller for the convenience of not having to haul a huge board down to the beach. I think something around 8’ but with some width, 31-32” and about 110-120 liters would be about right.

I tried my friend’s Hypernut recently. I think it was about 8’ long but am not sure about that. It’s a few years old but I am certain the volume was about the same as my board at about 130 liters or so. I found it was fairly stable and could easily get used to paddling around. I only caught a few waves and not the best conditions but I didn’t really care for the feel on the wave. It seemed to turn quickly but with a skatey feel and it didn’t seem like I could do a proper bottom turn and carve. Perhaps the back end being so wide and the quad setup vs what I’m used to made it feel not quite right for me.

So...that brings me here hoping someone might have some good recommendations. I’d like something wide and stable so I can get used to a shorter board. But also more thruster like feel and more able to sink the rail. I don’t know if such a board exists but I’m hoping anyway. :o I surf mostly small waves, anywhere from barely catchable to about head high.

Thanks!

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a new board
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:03 AM »
Jimmy Lewis Striker 8'5 x 30, 116L.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:26:45 AM »
Jimmy Lewis Striker 8'5 x 30, 116L.

good choice, one the first i thought of too.

Others you could add to that list might be:

the new jimmy lewis destroyer
8' x 30" 115L
8'5" x 30.5" 130L
the jimmy lewis super frank
8'x30″x4.2″ (115L)
8'6″x30.5″x4.4″ (130L)
8'x31.5″x4.5″ (127L)
8'6″x32″x4.5″ (141L)

You could also look at the infinity RNB
8'2"x30" (125L)
8'5"x31" (133.5L)

And then you could always go custom from infinity or L41

It might help a little to know the area and type of waves you are surfing.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
JL makes a good product.

I might also sugest a Fanatic PROWAVE LTD 8'9 or a Stubby 8'7
Great designs and OUTSTANDING Construction

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
Hi SUPDad
From your desired specs, may I assume that you are not looking for a performance longboard style board?

Your current 9 x32" at 135 liters, has you at a volume that is 1.6 times your weight in kgs (84 kg)
I like your target volume 110-120....w/v = 1.3 to 1.4, which is a very reasonable step down.

If you want a board to carve better turns than the short/wide model you demo'd, then I advise going with a bit less width.
You rarely fall down now, so at your height and weight, I think you can easily go narrower without sacrificing too much stability.

IMO.... shorter does not always = better performance.
I also am a big believer that many people never get the performance upgrade they seek, when they go too short.
Particularly if waves ridden are low power.
Ample surface area gives sufficient "lift" to "float" easily over weak sections and carries enough speed to carve better turns.

I like the numbers the others have suggested above.

Since I am the Sunova guy...
I'll throw out 2 boards for you to consider:

The Steeze:
8'6 x 29.5 @ 116 liters
8'10 x 30  @ 126 liters

At these sizes, it surfs more like a shortboard.... and was created for low power waves.
Paddles easily into any wave, and the rocker is designed for easy speed.

My 9'6 Steeze surfs like a fun shape.
I rode the 8'10 in some small Florida surf... for me, it surfed more like a really easy shortboard.
The 8'10 was not difficult for me at 235 lbs..... so you should have no problem with the 8'6.

If you want a more full on performance board,..

The Creek
8'7 x 29.5 at 115 L:

a full on performance board,
More stable than the 8'6 Steeze...less stable than the 8'10 Steeze

Steeze is 2 + 1 (I ride it basically as a thruster set-up)
Creek is thruster set-up

Here's my review of the 9'6 Steeze
It's a lot bigger than the size you would ride, but shows my impressions of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLsbI2ghhI

The 8'10 Steeze and the 8'7 Creek are in stock in the US right now.....  you can have it next week!

To order any Sunova,  or just ask a question:
Please click my email link below.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
I would second Creek's thoughts about reconsidering going really short and wide, especially with your performance longboard background. Like you, I have found boards that are too wide to not have a great carving feel. Assuming you are looking for carving performance, and are not interested in nose riding, I would highly recommend the Sunova Flow in an 8'7" X 30 ¼ @ 120 liters. It has very refined rails, and a lot of curve in the outline, so it loves to carve. It is easy to catch small waves, but handles speed and power very nicely. With its shortboard outline, it is not a board for nose riding, and is more interested in surfing rail to rail. You can set the fins up as a thruster or quad, which makes for some fun experimentation. Worth a look.https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/pro-surfing/flow
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated!  I live in Oahu and surf on the south shore. Always busy so surf when I have time, not necessarily when the waves or conditions are good. My current board is a Flight Boards Hawaii Pandora. Funny name but it’s a great board for smaller days. It has a wide nose and tail so it’s very stable yet it surfs well for a board that looks as it does. I wish I could demo some of the boards you all mentioned but don’t think a lot of them are available locally.

I guess I’m afraid to commit (i.e. buy without trying) a narrow board. I could live with a 9’ board if it were lighter but I fear the width reduction to get it easy enough to haul around might make it hard to balance on. I guess that’s why I thought going shorter and staying wide might be a better way to go. A while back, I tried a Flight 8’6” Malolo. It’s a quad fish style board (I think about 29.5” wide and 120 liters) and was a struggle for me to balance on.  I only caught 2 junk waves so can’t say how it surfs.

I’ve never ridden short boards so that type of surfing or that particular look for a board is not too important for me. I actually prefer the longboard look but that also is not a necessity. In my mind, it would seem a wider nose (vs pulled in pointy nose) would help stability a little, especially if the tail is pulled in. More weight to swing around but I don’t surf like that so that’s not too critical.

Anyway, thank you for all the ideas and, if any other thoughts or suggestions, please keep them coming!

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »
I loved short wide sups at Ala Moana when I used to live on that side of the island. Mostly an old 8'2 Starboard Widepoint. Since you are in the area, check the Blue Planet rental list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZC_M66oeSWSgcyiqy9a0-Z3RMze4D1wGktCeLAIOHUM/edit#gid=0

They credit the rental fees if you decide to buy, and the used prices are pretty reasonable. That way you can try a couple of narrow shapes first. The eagle ray is a funky shape, but its close to what you said you were looking for and was pretty much designed for surfing south shore Oahu.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:35:08 AM by exiled »

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:45 AM »
Hawaii????....

Yeah Jealous...

the world is your oyster.  You have more boards at your disposal to try and the waves to try them in.  You should at least be able to get in touch with blue planet and rent a few just to try.

Also, I have bought and sold boards off craigslist and save lots of money from buying new.  Every time I look at craigslist for Hawaii, i could usually pick out a half dozen boards that I would love to try.  So, you could always get in the rhythm of buying a used board or 2 to try for a few months and then move on to another to find what you really like.  And there are some good shapers over there too.  Go find Bill Foote. Go see Jimmy Lewis. Lots of good choices. 

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »
If you ever get a chance to hop over to Maui, there are a few nice options for trying boards. Second Wind and Hi-Tech both have boards to rent, as well as a wide variety of brands for sale, both new and used. Jimmy Lewis is a great guy, and sometimes has boards to try. Might be a fun way to spend a weekend, and sample some different brands and shapes. Kevin Ozee, the owner os Second Wind, is a great source of info and very pleasant to work with.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
SupDad, you're bringing a sandwich to a banquet. As Tuna points out, you can work your way through the Oahu craigslist and try a nearly infinite variety of boards for the length of time it really takes to learn if a board is right for you. A week is not enough, the only board that will feel right to you in a short period of time is one that is too stable for the long run. Unless you're a pro at the sharp end of the performance curve it takes time to get your sea legs on a particular board, and once you are comfortable it takes additional time to get full performance out of it. A big board that turns easily but that won't progress your surfing is what feels best. If that's all you want, stick with what you have, but it sounds like you're ready to move on.

I'd go narrower and thinner before I dropped a lot of length. Unless you're hungry for a shortboard experience a somewhat skinny board makes more sense. Your 9' X 32" would be fine for me at 230 pounds and crap balance. You have a lot of room to play with at your size.

If you don't want to play in the wild west of Craigslist, then Blue Planet has a huge rental fleet--at least they did a couple of years ago when I was last there, and Robert is great to work with. But you can buy a board on Craigslist, use it for a month, and then sell it for about what you paid for it. Kaya Dog went through a blizzard of boards when he lived in Cali, doing exactly that. I doubt it cost him much, he might have even made money doing it. Board Flipper--coming to a reality TV channel this fall.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
DM'd you.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »
My Focus Smoothie 9 x 32 sounds similar to the Pandora. Buddy of mine loves those Flight boards.

I then had Pat Rawson shape me an 8'2" Impala SS that was 32 inches wide. Stable, fast, and carved really well.

Rawson, Kazuma, Blue Planet all have boards that are 7'10" to 8'5" or so that are 31 to 32 and that can carve in the Town type conditions.

The new Jimmy Lewis Destroyer looks excellent.

JP also made some excellent Wide Pro - the 8'2" by 32" rocked.

Good luck with your search. Going shorter and wider is a valid and extremely fun direction!

Especially in the Town waves!

Good luck. Rent, beg , borrow and see what works for you!

Good thing you didn't buy the 8'6" Flight. Too narrow for you!!!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
Hard to find info, but I like the look of the new Jimmy Lewis Destroyer!  I’ll have to see if they are in stock here locally. Do you guys think going from a 9’ to 8’ board is a pretty big step?  From that 8’ something Hypernut and another ~8’6” board I tried a while back, there’s a noticeable change in the yaw stability to me. Could be differences in outline as well so I realize it’s hard to say.

Thanks again and I do appreciate all the thoughts and info!

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
SUPdad - since you are on Oahu, I would suggest e-mailing Jimmy or Marlon Lewis directly (INFO@JIMMYLEWIS.COM) and give them your info. They are both extremely helpful and responsive, they probably can set something up for you to try.

As everyone has said, Oahu has a ton of boards and waves, you are really lucky. The majority of us have nothing to demo nearby. From what you are explaining, if you want to go shorter with some width - Super Frank would be a good call, probably the 8' wide.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal