Author Topic: Paddling Out  (Read 12081 times)

Fuzzy Boy

• Fuzzy Boy
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling Out
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
Great paddling tips.  Leaning back and pushing your Board forward over the oncoming wave for the most part is also safer for other paddlers and surfers near us. Like the video states, I also find that I can frequently get back on my board faster.

If you can paddle out prone, the “Paddle Belt” is another great option that I use. Your hands are free to hold both rails of your Board. It also saved my butt at Hanalei last winter when I had to swim after my lost SUP Board.  Super easy to swim in with the paddle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzp7IpaBj6E

10’ kings SS...86"’ kings crossover...6'2" kings foil
Quickblade...Axis Foil, Kāohi leash...Futures...Paddle Belt

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:51 AM »
I have a comment and question about the knee paddle option.
The comment is that I have a friend who used to favor knee paddling, until one day the wave kicked the nose of the board up and hit in the face damaging some teeth.
My question comes from my old days of paddling a long board out, either prone or good old knee paddling (anyone remember "surfer bumps" from knee paddling?). When encountering small to medium white water, a good move was to go into a push up position so that the water could pass between your body and the board, avoiding some of the impact that Pono talked about. My question is how to do this while holding onto the paddle, since the old way involved having both hands wrapped around the rails for stability.
Any thoughts or experience?

You can also get hit with the board when standing up. It happened to me two years ago when I had my Stun Gun. I stepped back a bit too far when going over the wave. The nose came up and slammed into my face. I tried to block it with my hands so actually got hit with my fists and paddle. Immediately after the incident, I felt a pain in my jaw. I thought it was an injury from the impact so I kept on surfing. When I got home the pain was still there. It turned out I was having a mild heart attack and had to go to the ER.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
Glad you survived it to surf another day Badger!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »
great tips everyone, thanks.

very lucky Badger, keep it on.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 06:59:18 PM »
Seems like your paddle would beat up your board with it dangling from that paddle belt. 
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »
Vey lucky it was minor Badger. My brother died of a heart attack in the water, drowned after going unconscious. I think about it often anyway but especially when I get a pain that could be a symptom.

Even though I'm still a pretty mediocre surfer I'm pretty good at getting out. I enjoy practising it. That's really all it takes just like everything else. I never prone paddle, mostly try to stand up even when the odds are against me sometimes. I like the challenge of getting over. Best training for it is going out in heavy sloppy chop and fighting it...at least for me.

I'll still knee paddle if it's about scrambling to get going but that's usually about it. You have to read the wave getting over too...mostly depends on the phase the wave is going to be in as you go through that determines how. Sometimes it's best to step back and pop up and over (foamball), other times let the board slice through and take the lip on the body (just starting to break). A lip to the nuts sucks..... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »
Great topic. 
Joe Blair made a video on how he gets out in the surf on his knees (last minute of this video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9MytrZjhw
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal