Author Topic: Dealing with nasty rollers on a touring SUP  (Read 11074 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with nasty rollers on a touring SUP
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your choice, should be a fine board for you. I was just making a general comment. Confronted with a choice between stability and speed I have to ask myself "what is this board for?" If it's just for fun, I'd always sacrifice some speed for stability. Not too much, but a bit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your choice, should be a fine board for you. I was just making a general comment. Confronted with a choice between stability and speed I have to ask myself "what is this board for?" If it's just for fun, I'd always sacrifice some speed for stability. Not too much, but a bit.
Thanks. I don't think I made a bad choice, but I have been second guessing myself after seeing that most people paddle the open ocean on skinnier boards with lower volume. OTOH, I would be kicking myself if I had gone a little more aggressive and kept falling off trying to get through the breakers. I think this is why so many of you have a lot of boards. They all have things they don't do as well as other choices, so you get the other choices also. It won't hold me back, that's for sure.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 04:00:13 AM »
Thanks. I don't think I made a bad choice, but I have been second guessing myself after seeing that most people paddle the open ocean on skinnier boards with lower volume. OTOH, I would be kicking myself if I had gone a little more aggressive and kept falling off trying to get through the breakers. I think this is why so many of you have a lot of boards. They all have things they don't do as well as other choices, so you get the other choices also. It won't hold me back, that's for sure.
1. Some people have amazing balance.
2. Some people are willing to put up with huge discomfort in pursuit of speed, or because they have fantasies of being Kai Lenny.
3. The rest of us find a sensible compromise we can live with, and just get on with enjoying ourselves.
4. Finding that compromise is a highly personal journey, and might take some time. But that’s part of the fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal