Author Topic: Tutle box? Counter sink?  (Read 1414 times)

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tutle box? Counter sink?
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »
My Tuttle box seems to be different than others I’ve seen.  It appears that my mounting hardware has to sit on the deck of the board.  I have another newbi Foiler that swears if I just drill it out there is another plate that will allow me to counter sink the hardware.  His box counter sunken, I really don’t think mine is?
Landlocked four years😬

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tutle box? Counter sink?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
There are several variations of Tuttle boxes, and yours could well be the open variety. You could measure the inner depth and the depth through the board with a wire to see if your box is closed-ended or just not worry about it. There are also Tuttles, medium, deep, and very deep Tuttles and tapered/straight Tuttles.

Tuttle boxes were initially fin boxes that could handle the higher pressures of windsurfing. Those installed on the tail of a windsurfer can't be very deep and need to have a taper to conform to the deck. When manufacturers started using them for other stuff, they built all kinds of variations, both in the male plugs and the female boxes. The most versatile Tuttle boxes are the open-ended ones. Closed-ended can be made to fit most current variations, but if someone makes a super deep Tuttle plug it might not work with just a very deep box.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
DON'T DRILL OUT YOUR BOARD W/O CHECKING THE TYPE/BRAND OF BOX YOU HAVE IN IT!! 

Check out this video as to how the Tuttle boxes are install (for the most part, I'm sure there are some doing it slightly differently out there)....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7v4pEgQrZg
It'll not only show you the of method of installation, and resulting construction of the board above the box, but also the material and make up of the box itself (this one is open on both ends)...and why you don't want to go, and just start counter-sinking your deck.  :o

EDIT: The few boards I rode with Tuttle set ups all had the tops of the bolts/screws above the deck, but were usually not that noticeable since all also had a kick pad and/or arch bar over them that acted as your "counter-sink" if you would.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:40:33 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »
Thanks Pono and Sano!  You guys always seem to have the answers!✌🏽
Landlocked four years😬

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal