Author Topic: shoulder surgery went great  (Read 15950 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: shoulder surgery went great
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
RTG..   I don't know if you noticed but you woke the bots.   This was at the bottom of the thread.

"Heal Rotator Cuff Pain - Fast, Safe, At Home
Video: What You Must Know Before Attempting To Relieve Rotator Cuff Pain shouldertherapyinstitute.org"

A speedy recovery to you.

Jim
Thanks!

We each have our own set of bots also, based on our own posts and searches. Every now and the you just have to feed them posts or searches with phrases like Fiji beaches and tropical getaways and Caribbean vacations. Then you get nicer ads. Never type wreck tile dust funk shun...

Day 3 going well. Just finished the day 1 vial of Sprix nasal mist; didn't need it first day until block wore off and used it sparingly day 2. Even though it is an NSAID and keeps me out of trouble, the warnings about how much your internals hate the stuff are spooky. It comes in a 5 days supply, but I don't think I will even open the second vial. I think I can switch to ibuprofen from here. I have cabin fever bad, which is purely because I know I can't go anywhere; it's really no worse than other weekends when I have nothing to do. Not really a great day to be outdoors:

Wind chills are 10 to 15 below those temps and supposed to feel like single digits in the morning. It's that old what you can't have syndrome - I never want to go out and paddle worse than when I know I can't. YouTube only helps so much. But I see creek has another post up; those help...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:08:20 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
Update after 10 days. Was able to start driving last week, holding the wheel at 7 o'clock with left hand when re-positioning right. Started using it a little more than I should have and had some pain. I didn't do any damage to repair, just aggravated muscles that weren't ready for action yet. Backed off. I had PT on Thursday; that's where I got the low down on the pain. See doc this afternoon for stitch removal and follow up with the pictures. I may post some of that later.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
I never come over to this section of the forum but noticed your post in the recent thread activity. Both my shoulders have rotator cuff issues and I know how painful that sh!t can be.
pretty much what prompted me to full time sup w/occasional regulars surfs. My right shoulder was so bad in summer 2008 that I had to hit the ER cuz of the pain. Dilaudid is some strong ass pain kill!
didn't realize you were post-op shoulder surgery. GL on a speedy recovery.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
My right shoulder, around 4 years ago, was at a levitation pain level. This one hasn't been nearly as bad. No opiates just NSAIDs, mostly because I grew a little too fond of opiates dealing with the shoulder pain 4 years ago. But it has been manageable. The muscle pains I have had since the operation are not unexpected and the doc was very pleased with how much I can move. Another 2.5 weeks in the sling, then about 2 weeks after that I will start getting some strength exercises. Just mobility in the meantime, with the PT moving it for me to slowly increase range of motions. 3 months to paddling is realistic if I am not too aggressive. He said after about 4-5 months I will be back to normal except for trying to reach between my shoulder blades in the back. That comes back the slowest. This is all assuming I do everything the PT tells me to, which is absolutely my plan.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 09:08:27 AM »
Meant to post this a few days ago after my post op visit.

The tear and the repair:

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
The tear and the repair:
Empathy pain cringe response activated! Hope you ain't hurting too bad RTG. Heal quick!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
The tear and the repair:
Empathy pain cringe response activated! Hope you ain't hurting too bad RTG. Heal quick!
The stuff they do while you are out is pretty hair raising. It makes sense to look under the tear before he lashes it to the bone in case there is some loose matter under it, but holy crap that woulda hurt. A lot of the muscle pain isn't from repair, but from pushing muscles aside when he ground off some bone spurs. Didn't bother with those pictures; there is a whole series and I am not sure what is what.

I am actually doing pretty good. I don't wear the sling to sit at the computer and sometimes I forget when going to the kitchen or whatever. I am only 10 days or so from not having to use the sling at all any more. The main reason for it now is to prevent me from extending up and/or out without thinking about it.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 06:36:08 AM »
Doc told me I could come out of the sling this week. I wore it to the gym this morning and did an hour and a half of cardio. I changed into my work clothes and looked at that stinky sweat soaked sling and decided it was time to stop using it. I have been in and out as I have been allowed to take it off when I am sitting in a chair with armrests at a desk. Last PT visit started on very slight strength training. Should get a little more today. As soon as I am allowed to, I am going to attach a band to the top piece of a cheap two piece paddle so I can do paddling motion traning.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:41:31 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
I got my PT person to work with me doing a "paddlish" move with a light cable - both "kayakish" and "sup-like" moves.
Hurray for no sling day! :D I remember when just the teeny circles felt soooooo goooood....

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 04:29:22 AM »
I got my PT person to work with me doing a "paddlish" move with a light cable - both "kayakish" and "sup-like" moves.
Hurray for no sling day! :D I remember when just the teeny circles felt soooooo goooood....
I am done with kayaking. Too much extension up and/or out. I only kayaked twice in 2018 and regretted it the last time I was out. Both shoulders were tweaked and it was just flat water.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »
Might be technique? Some? I hardly move my arms now - after 30-plus years of leaning back and using my arms 90%, I caught some training video on Olympic kayaking - it seemed weird when I started (paddle ends up waayyy out away from the boat - or seems to)  but my stroke is like 90% torso rotation now. This also has been fantastic for some lower back issue I have. Come to think of it, I was still doing it wrong when I worked with my PT person after my shoulder work.

This video has some good slo-mo - but I apologize in advance if you already have a good stroke :D I'm no expert and don't want to be a know-it-all :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB753_ZEZU0

But I'm glad for you that SUP is working - it's a fun way to flatwater workout. I keeping on SUP is part of why I work hard to keep my shoulders and back happy - it's a reward to myself.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »
Might be technique? Some? I hardly move my arms now - after 30-plus years of leaning back and using my arms 90%, I caught some training video on Olympic kayaking - it seemed weird when I started (paddle ends up waayyy out away from the boat - or seems to)  but my stroke is like 90% torso rotation now. This also has been fantastic for some lower back issue I have. Come to think of it, I was still doing it wrong when I worked with my PT person after my shoulder work.

This video has some good slo-mo - but I apologize in advance if you already have a good stroke :D I'm no expert and don't want to be a know-it-all :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB753_ZEZU0

But I'm glad for you that SUP is working - it's a fun way to flatwater workout. I keeping on SUP is part of why I work hard to keep my shoulders and back happy - it's a reward to myself.
Freeze frame at 1:17 -  that's the worst of it - up and out. Reaching across the body to a vertical paddle with the top hand a bit lower and pushing down is a lot easier. Also my full list of ailments makes it sound like I am falling apart, but most are not that bad if I don't do things to aggravate them. I have bursitis in both hips, herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1 plus spinal stenosis. Sitting in a kayak for very long does cause some back and hip pain. Being able to stand, move around on my feet and sit in various positions or even lie down when taking a break helps tremendously.  I also have bursitis in both shoulders; I think that is what gets me the most about the position at 1:17. I think one reason I am susceptible to tearing tendons at the shoulders is that I work hard at keeping the ball from grinding in the socket. Chronic elbow tendinitis. Strong bones held together with rubber bands seems to run in my family. I broke a bone in my hand in my 20s. None of my 3 siblings has ever broken a bone, nor has my dad. All of us have joint problems.

All that stuff is far from debilitating if I take care in what I do, how I do things and exercise to strengthen the muscles around the joints without aggravating them while I do it. I think I screwed up on the last part at the gym in the fall, getting stronger but with too much aggravation.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 05:34:30 AM »
Yesterday morning at the gym, I was adjusting a piece of equipment (bodyweight back hyperextension; no arm/shoulder involvement) one handed and I tweaked my right shoulder.  So yesterday afternoon PT was adjusted to cover both shoulders. It was only a slight adjustment as a lot of the exercises were already symmetric.

The good news is I actually got a couple of resistance band exercises added in. Just yellow band, but it's a start...

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 06:04:26 AM »
good luck, and yes, advil and all nsaid's have proven to not be the pain panacea they were always said to be

i quit em 2 years ago, after years of taking "vitamin a" pretty much anytime i had severe muscle soreness, or if i wanted to play through pain---like day 3 of a surf or ski trip--hell surf and ski trips i used to just take the crap--no mas--not one dose in 2 years--i get a massage at the excellent cheap chinese place on my block if my pain is overwhelming

nsaids have always been known to seriously irritate, if not damage digestive tract. now compelling research is picking up that nsaid's increase heart attack and stroke risk. and given we are learning that inflammation plays a serious role in health and disease, i dont like taking a med that effs with that process--havent looked back---just dont take any pain relievers anymore--if/when i get serious pain, ill cross the decision bridge then.......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »
A big dose of ibuprofen or naproxen, or worse yet predisone if the inflammation is really bad, does reduce inflammation, but the NSAIDs don't really do much for taking the edge off of lingering pain. I usually don't have much inflammation unless I get a bursitis flare. The Sprix was better than most as far as reducing pain but had all sorts of warnings, and the other NSAIDs are just less bad, which is a long way from being okay. After my previous surgeries, I grew overly fond of the opiate pain killers so those are off the table now. Ice it and suck it up.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal