Author Topic: Electric Skateboard as SUP Surf Training Device  (Read 9090 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Skateboard as SUP Surf Training Device
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »
Yes, doing my gingerbread man impression  ;D

It looks like I’m right on the shore line, but we actually waded out to a nice hard sandbar.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »
skated pools and pipes for years......40+ years ago....no mas.....water is soft
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »
Yes, doing my gingerbread man impression  ;D

It looks like I’m right on the shore line, but we actually waded out to a nice hard sandbar.

Actually, I was going to shoot a compliment your way.  You look pretty poised and in-control on that thing.  Always wanted to get one, but the $1,600 price tag kept scaring me off. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 04:41:44 PM »
Thanks Zoo, I can say that while they are worth the price, they are not totally fool proof.  Google “onewheel push-back”. 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
That's a lot of cash.

But you were ripping on that thing!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
From my experience:
I have had 3 onewheels and now I simply just roll the Exway e-skateboard.  I can go way faster and lay way harder into turns and carves on the pavement than I ever could on a onewheel on any surface.  I can comfortably go 15-20 mph on the exway whereas this speed on a onewheel feels like risking death!  If you live near the beach and need to ride on the sand than the Onewheel can't be beaten.  If you have pavement and want to carve going up and down hills then the EXWAY can't be beaten. Plus it half of the cost at 888.00 and side note it climbed every hill I could find in Hood River and San Fran, brakes are smooth and recharge battery, when it dies it can still be ridden and has amazing freewheel performance (no "cogging" or motor drag when riding as a normal skateboard). Even my wife loves it now and she never even tried the onewheel 8)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
Agree with the Eskate vibe...I used cheap chinese Ebay parts - integrated wheels/motors - spent about $250 including the Goodwill longboard.  I have been over 20mph on it and it really carves on the pavement.  With a total of 5000mah onboard I'm getting 12-14miles and that includes rolling over hills.  It also has progressive braking that regenerates the charge. 

To bring it back to surfing;  while not requiring a movement of the rear foot rail to rail - it replicates the toe to heel pressure and the body balance that I use when surfing - I find it useful and super fun for those dryland days.
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:54 AM »
Like Eastbound I come from a background of pools and transitions, 70’s and then got back on board in the 90’s. Vert but no air, roll ins and the like.  Anytime spent on a skateboard will help with sup and surf. 

There easy bits in the skateparks these days and some time on small transitions or parking lot ramps/ hills carving really keeps my balance tuned as I approach 60.

Almost a grand for an eboard, whew.  I guess if you got the mula why not.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »
I built my dual motor for about 300. You can do a single motor or a hub motor setup for less. I used batteries I already had for drones, you'd need to add that cost, but you could get on the road for less than 400 with a board that's too damned powerful or 300 for something sane. Easy to do. Google DIY electric skateboard.

And then, of course, there's the ER expense. I look like a gladiator when I ride mine, which is rare, since I still manage to get hurt. Dynamic brakes are very limited. Control is marginal, as it is with any skateboard unless you are an expert. The major benefit I see to the one wheel is that it stops better without pitching riders off since the board is pitched when stopping. Of course in any gravity sport if you're very concerned with stopping you probably shouldn't be doing the sport since you'll never get good at it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:32:00 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 09:11:15 AM »
If you are learning to foil, there is no better training tool than the one wheel. The motions required to maneuver the OW are identical to foil surfing.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 10:01:48 AM »
Evan, I'm glad you said that.  With my "one" foiling session under my belt I'm not in a position to make that statement, but it did feel remarkably similar to the Onewheel for sure.  (I'm hoping to get a few more foil sessions over the next few months as things warm up a bit.)

Having said that, there is one very important thing that's missing from any motor assisted conveyance and that is the "free ride".  Whether you are dropping in on a wave, snowboarding down a steep slope, decending on a bike, bombing a hill on your skateboard, there is just nothing like the feeling of getting that unfettered "free ride".

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 05:21:12 AM »
I have a Hamboard Pinger with the paddle, and really enjoy it (other than breaking my foot in a freak accident on it). It's not SUP, but it uses some of the same core muscles, and the carving on it is much, much better than the old Gravity longboards I rode as a teenager. Great exercise too, the only caveat is that it really needs some smooth pavement, luckily a new neighborhood is being built right beside mine with no traffic and brand new asphalt.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Neighbor let me try his One Wheel Saturday.
He said he went golfing with it carrying his bag.
How hard can it be ?
It got going, probably 20 mph.
I had a hard time slowing it down enough to dismount.
Back leg was getting fatigued.
Had to jump off.
Went down hard..

Just now looking at videos and settings..

Hard lesson, broken wrist..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
There is a learning curve to the OneWheel for sure, but once you get it it's very intuitive. 

However, after riding mine for almost three years, last August just a couple weeks before a trip to Maui, I took a pretty good spill on my OW.  Almost ruined the trip, the road rash on both knees, elbows and especially the top of my right hand did not heal for about 2 mos.   In my case, I was thrown off due to "push-back" and I would have ordinarily been able to run it out but ironically, at the last instance, I tripped on the squared off toe of my new skate shoes. 

If I would have fallen earlier in the run-out I might have ended up with more serious injuries like you Sup-position.  I hope you heal well and quickly.

Still, I love this board.

Using it for golf, in theory absolutely, but not at any of our local private or public clubs.

I've tried my best not to address the issue of "push-back" in my post because there are so many great videos on the topic and anyone interested in the OW, should watch.  In essence, the OneWheel is designed to give the rider a sensory feedback when it is reaching its maximum capacity, not only in terms of speed but also in terms of required power for the stabilization.  Keep in mind, there is only one motor and it requires power for propulsion and stabilization.  So, when the OW nears its maximum capacity, it goes into warning mode, and the rider feels a pronounced rise in the nose ("Push-back").  If this sensory warning is ignored and the OW maxes out, it may shut down.  If/when it shuts down, it's like applying the brakes, and the rider could/will get launched.

It's a lot like catching your back side edge as you learn to snowboard.  Once you understand it and figure it out it becomes a non-issue.     

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
...got going, probably 20 mph.
I had a hard time slowing it down enough to dismount.
Back leg was getting fatigued.
Had to jump off.
Went down hard..

Hard lesson, broken wrist..
OUCH....hope you heal well, and quickly!!! But thanks for the warning, and taking one for our "past our prime" team. I'm at the point where falling onto anything other than water or into my bed doesn't sound like anything I'll need to try any longer. 

Things To Do In Retirement List
SUPing - √
MTBing - √
SUP Foiling - √
Wake Foiling - √
One Wheel Boarding -
DW Foiling -
Surf Foiling -
 :D

It's a lot like catching your back side edge as you learn to snowboard.  Once you understand it and figure it out it becomes a non-issue.
Or like flying a foil just a little too high, and have the bottom drops out underneath you w/o there being a darn thing you're gonna do about it.  :o
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal