Author Topic: Electric Skateboard as SUP Surf Training Device  (Read 9067 times)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Electric Skateboard as SUP Surf Training Device
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
Interested to hear about other SUPSurfer experiences.  I recently found a used longboard skateboard at the local Goodwill - thinking I might play around with it a bit.  Long story short - I found extensive online help converting it to electric using inexpensive Chinese motorized wheels and electronics combined with RC Lipo batteries.  This thing has been a total gas to drive around my neighborhood and out on the local bike trails.  Getting 12 to 14 miles to a charge and have probably put a hundred miles on it so far.

I find the balance and turning to be very compatible with surfing - it is going to help my backside balance definitely.  The only drawback seems to be ignoring my wife and neighbors stink eye as this 60 plus year old zooms around the neighborhood in helmet and body armor being chased by random dogs and kids.  I was never a skateboarder as a kid and I'm a skier not a snowboarder - but man, this thing is a ton o fun and I really think it may be a way to keep current and possibly improve during my dry time on land.  I'm starting to think an E-Foil project may be in the works although that one looks expensive.....   
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Skateboard as SUP Surf Training Device
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
One wheel is the closest thing to surfing I have ever ridden on land.  You might check it out.
Costs more, dress for the ride or end up like me, ko'd over an hour to awaken with heavenly
nurses and docs stichen me up.
It carves, accelerates and decelerates much like a surfboard. Toss it on the sand and carve up
the beach watching the surf, turn around, switch stance, carve and watch the surf going back.
I would get several miles of use then head back, charge and do over.
Now the grandkids line up to use.
Many u tube videos available to see in use.
Old fart I am older than u and gave up skateboards long ago.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
non sequitur----sort of....

any chance you can link sources for the wheels etc you used??

very curious
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
I'm with your wife on this one.

There is enough electric shit in this world.  Simplify don't electrify.

Set an example for the neighbor kids.

Go catch a wave.

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
Ha...definitely wave catching is the priority.....there is a lot of land time in between and this is a fun way to maintain muscle memory....btw....we drive EV and may be solarizing the house soon....my electricity comes from hydro and is way cleaner than the gas powered shit that my neighbor kids are using to blow leaves and whack the lawn...the wife is more concerned about me breaking my neck.. 8).
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:36:04 PM »
I had a metroboard skateboard which lasted about as long as the warranty (6 months).  I had several motors fail on me, belts break after 100 miles, and the battery fail (a couple bad cells).  The board was expensive and I was hoping to get 7 years out of it.  I needed 8 miles each way to commute to the train/work.  The range was supposed to be 10, but quickly became shorter with time.  Now it gets about a mile between charges.  In hindsight, only use the battery for no more than 50% of what it is rated for, else you will damage a cell.  The metroboard battery cell is made so you can't swap out a bad cell, you have to replace the entire pack (poor design).
I used the board to commute to work (16 miles/day) at about 50 miles/ week.  I kitesurf and noticed an improvement in my leg longevity (strength).  Skateboarding uses a bunch of little muscles.  Doing other activities like running/biking doesn't hit those muscles groups.  I would imagine that riding an electric skateboard would help your legs with SUP.  The onewheel board XR is appealing to me as you don't have to worry about ground clearance damaging belts, and looks like a more comfortable riding stance with respect to the hips.
I have since retired my electric skateboard, and have replaced it with a long distance pumper skateboard.  This board is designed to have loose front trucks that are wedged, and tight rear trucks that are dewedged.  The result is a board that you can pump (think of a worm drive).  This is good exercise (better than an electric skateboard).  I prefer it to an electric skateboard. It is cheaper, lighter, and has more range.
Unfortunately, the push/pump tended to aggravate an old snowobard knee injury so I thought I was going to have to give it up.
Then I saw riders like Mo Freitas use a land paddle.  Now I use a land paddle when I long distance pump.  This limits the number of times I have to push with my leg.  I can rotate between foot push, board pump, and stick push.  My hips appreciate this new setup.  I try to mix in switch stance to balance the muscle group usage.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
One Wheel for sure. Over 300 views! I’m practically fameoose.

https://youtu.be/LAQY-COxpcw
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:45:35 PM by Bean »

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »
That's really cool Bean  , I loved my Fiik Street Surfer this thing is so cool go anywhere and you are right it's a really good leg work out plus you can carve this thing on the beach like you are surfing. It's all terrain and thats why I got rid of it because I could see a big crash coming on the bitumen , just didn't trust myself anymore but it's so much fun. It's Lithium battery and plenty around second hand these things are built like tanks can't hurt them but really heavy to carry around.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:58:38 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
would like on those one wheel board but the price is ridiculous in Aus is $3000 and copied is around $1200+ and that's a price of another nice board  :)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:26:18 AM »
I did the manual route a few years ago with a stick-as-paddle and a series of longboards.  I live on a rural road with no traffic but it's chip-n-tar with the only relatively smooth areas are where car tires have leveled it.  I say; Fuc'm to the 'Look at the geezer on a skateboard with a crutch' folks but I could not ignore the get-offs. There are some hard landings available to anyone who seems to seek them out.... 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
There are always these funky things:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:22:39 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
+11 on the One Wheel.  Yes, it's expensive.  Yes, it's completely stupid.

But sooooo fun--and I need that in my life.  There's a bit of a learning curve and you can really get hurt.  I've had a few major wipeouts so you won't catch me without a helmet and bitch mittens, but they were rider error.  While I'm a little too far away from work to commute, I often park my truck at the beach a few blocks away from my office and then ride from there--means I end the day with a longer loop along the water.  And there's something really fun about a weekend cruise (or "float" as the Onewheelers call it) for about 19mi.  It's certainly built on the foundational balance I got from SUP.

At times I feel it might be a little ridiculous being a guy in his 50s riding around on a toy, but given what they cost I don't think that many kids can actually afford them.  That, and I'm beyond caring what I look like.

Float on!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
In a long and foolish life of risking life and limb, the injuries that did damage that I deal with every day are from skateboards and rollerblades. 50+ years of Racing cars and motorcycles on street, dirt and ice, windsurfing, surfing, getting dragged around by a kite, mountain climbing, hunting and fishing in difficult places, etc. did no lasting damage except one shoulder injury.

I have a longboard and street paddle, and an electric skateboard I built that has far too much power. Occasionally I armor myself and venture forth, looking as creaky and nutty as Don Quixote, but I always manage to take a fall that rattles everything even if it doesn't add to the long list of infirmities.

I think these things are best left to people who heal quickly, with the understanding that there may not be any such thing as an injury without future consequence.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:36 AM »
Love my one wheel and hamboard. If you ride the one wheel... the beach is the way to go.  Nothing is replacing the real thing but it has a great ride. 
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 06:10:51 AM »
One Wheel for sure. Over 300 views! I’m practically fameoose.

https://youtu.be/LAQY-COxpcw
Is that you, Bean?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM