Author Topic: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?  (Read 51903 times)

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »
Subject says it all: I'm keen for a longboard, but haven't a clue...

I have unfortunately no possibility to demo, so i need to rely on manufacturers descriptions, reviews - and your expertise! So please, any suggestions welcome! Thanks! 

What i want: A good wave catcher to get in early on soft, round waves.  A platform to learn how to noseride and crossstep. An easy-going-board, nicely turning up and down the wave from the tail, nothing radical.

Conditions knee-to-head range mellow beachbreak waves, some wind and chop every now and then.

I'm 6'3/190 lbs, intermediate supster. Happily riding a Sunova Flow 8'7x30 1/4"/121l most of the time. The new board will be an addition to the Flow and replace my Sunova Soul 8'11. Was thinking about something like 10'x29"/130l?! Always been happy with my Sunovas, so Style or Surf might be the go. Smik Style Lord or Hipster Longboard, Fanatic Stylemaster, ... ?

Thanks in advance  8)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
I can only speak to the Jimmy Lewis B&B....I’m short, this board (for me) is the absolute perfect platform.  I’m a pretty fit 57 at 6’1 and 182lbs and aspire to be a proficient noserider and cross-stepper.  I’ve documented my progress in various videos here on the forum over the last year on my yellow flat nose (vice concave nose) B&B.  It’s ceryainly not the only board out there but has to be top 3 or so for this type of riding. 

Have fun!!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:16:22 AM »
Subject says it all: I'm keen for a longboard, but haven't a clue...

I have unfortunately no possibility to demo, so i need to rely on manufacturers descriptions, reviews - and your expertise! So please, any suggestions welcome! Thanks! 

What i want: A good wave catcher to get in early on soft, round waves.  A platform to learn how to noseride and crossstep. An easy-going-board, nicely turning up and down the wave from the tail, nothing radical.

Conditions knee-to-head range mellow beachbreak waves, some wind and chop every now and then.

I'm 6'3/190 lbs, intermediate supster. Happily riding a Sunova Flow 8'7x30 1/4"/121l most of the time. The new board will be an addition to the Flow and replace my Sunova Soul 8'11. Was thinking about something like 10'x29"/130l?! Always been happy with my Sunovas, so Style or Surf might be the go. Smik Style Lord or Hipster Longboard, Fanatic Stylemaster, ... ?

Thanks in advance  8)

Here's a good article of what to look for if you are looking for your first true noserider (50-50 rails, a little belly with concave in the nose etc).   

https://www.surfer.com/blogs/how-to/how-to-buy-your-first-longboard/

If you currently ride 120L and are comfortable I recommend going narrower and thinner.   For example, a Firewire Special T blown up to 10-0 x 26 x 3.6 would be 108L, only 10% less volume than what you are riding currently.  The extra length really helps stability.   I had a 9-0 x 22.75 x 3 Firewire Special T and found it to be very stable even though it was 15% less volume and 4+ inches narrower than anything I had SUPd before.

https://firewiresurfboards.com/products/special-t
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
Hi Timi

at 6'3 and 190, you are not a small guy, so doing well on the 8'7 Flow!

The things you said that stand out to me are:

Intermediate
easy going board
want to learn longboard
get in early on mellow, soft waves

What's missing is age.... which is always a factor in how much challenge to take on.

at your weight in kg times 1.4 = 120 liters is a good middle ground.
Considering your height, and your wish list, you can go higher volume without giving up performance... IMO
Sometimes a float and length are great ways to smooth out your style on a longboard.

I am the Sunova guy, so I have ridden them all, and I generally prefer the SURF.
I have a 10'6 x 30 in the old ECO construction and love the way it rides.

My 10 x 29 STYLE is lighter and narrower, and a better noserider, but I like the overall surfability of the SURF.
I actually think I should be getting a 10' SURF now that I am closer to 200 lbs.

Something to consider:
I can't help but thinking you might like the 9'6 x 31 Steeze.... it fits all the point on your wish list, except "learn to longboard".
Good longboarding does take a certain style, that must be learned.
The Steeze is more of a "Fun shape" that surfs sort of in between shortboard and longboard.

3 vids of me surfing these boards:

I was 235 in all the vids. 5'10 and 69 - 70 years old.
With the same person surfing all of them, it may help show you the differences between the shapes, to see what type fits your eye.

Have fun on your quest.... I love board research!

10'6 x 30 SURF at 160 liters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KDWbJDsWNs

10' x 29 STYLE at 130 liters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTTyc0BT7w

9'6 x 31 STEEZE at 144 liters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLsbI2ghhI

Here's all the stats side by side for easy comparison

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »
I think you just described the Infinity New Deal!
I'm not a longSUP guy but I had the chance to do a couple of sessions on the Infinity New Deal 10'0 x 29'' (139 liters) this week and loved it! It's super fluid and I was doing the same kind of turns I generally do on the B-Line 7'11 and always maintaining speed and control. And I ventured to the nose and did a few grabrail dropkeen things (don't know what to call it  ;D)
Construction is super durable and light!

Here the videos of the sessions I did:
https://www.facebook.com/nuno.p.desousa/videos/10217966197844328/

https://www.facebook.com/nuno.p.desousa/videos/10217958413809732/

The New Deal comes in different dims on the production series (9'0 x 26'' - 93 lt / 9'0 x 28" - 104 lt / 9'6 x 31" - 141 lt / 10'0 x 27" - 122 lt / 10'0 x 31" - 139 lt / 10'0 x 31'' - 151 lt), but you can also go custom!

You can check a video of Dave Boehne explaining the board:

And killing it on the waves:

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
if'n you live near rhode island, i've got a jimmy b and b i could sell .

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »
It's nice when a reviewer mentions his weight like in the last Sunova video. He is 50% heavier than me; I am not completely sure what to do with that data but I know the board would act differently for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:56:10 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »
A lot of great and detailed input so far, and some new contenders in the ring.  Thanks a lot for taking the time, very much appreciated! Enjoyed watching the vidz, both lookin good on the longboards @STC and @supnorte!

If i understand right, there is a log type of longboard and a more like allround type. So, if i really want to walk the board and learn the longboard style, the B&B or the Style would be the go. If i  want an easy ride, crank some turns and occasionally take a trip to the nose, the allround type would fit better, i.e. the (sweet looking) Infinity New Deal or the Sunova Surf, right? I'll have to think about that for a while.

As for the size: I'm not sure about going down in volume. I lately surfed my buddy's 8'4/110l Flow in some chop and wind without problems, but what i want in this board is early entry on the wave and glide. Unfortunately i can only get to the surf on holidays 5-8 weeks/year - i then prefer having a blast and not a struggle.

Another thing to consider: I'm in Germany, so not sure if Infinity and JL are available. I'll have to check that.

Picking up the Infinity in Portugal and ride some of those nice waves with @supnorte would be a nice option, hehe. :)

Absolutely not near RI @linter, thanks for your propasal anyways! ;)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Hey Timi

You're welcome here whenever you want. I'm based in Porto, so it's very short and cheap flight. And we're having and Endless Summer right now!

You're right about the type of longboards. The New Deal is an all-rounder, that allows to have some progressive surfing (if you're riding on the tail) or more classic, if you're riding more to the front of the board. It's not a logger, nor it is a classic 10'0 SUP (wide, bulky, with thick rails, more ideal to beginners). It's a board for having fun (as well as other boards besides this one).

Hope you find one that suits you.

Cheers

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:27 AM »
Hey Supnorte, thanks again for your explanations and welcoming words! We enjoyed the endless portuguese  summer last christmas in Arrifana and will definately come back. The waves in your vidz look like the perfect easy glass to me - in a mirror. :) Do you also have a right like that around the corner?

Cheers

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Lots of people seem to like the Stylemaster and the new 10 ft version is only 9 kg and costs a fair whack less than other carbon designs. I’ve never used one but not heard many or anything negative about them except some find the slightly domed deck weird at first.

The JL Black and Blue is an out and out noserider.....small wave peeling machine.... built for that only

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
Lots of people seem to like the Stylemaster and the new 10 ft version is only 9 kg and costs a fair whack less than other carbon designs. I’ve never used one but not heard many or anything negative about them except some find the slightly domed deck weird at first.

The JL Black and Blue is an out and out noserider.....small wave peeling machine.... built for that only
Yeah, I’ve got a 10ft Fanatic Stylemaster. It’s a great board. It picks up waves more like an 11’ than a 10’, is plenty stable even in chop, and the thin rails make it very easy to turn. It encourages you to get on the nose. Performance-wise it’s a definite step up from something like the Naish Nalu 10-6. It’s more a dedicated surfer than an all-rounder like the Nalu, and less ideal for a beginner, but quite a lot better for ambitious SUP surfers, or very light riders (and is easy to carry, so it’s quite popular with women).

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »

Yeah, I’ve got a 10ft Fanatic Stylemaster. It’s a great board. It picks up waves more like an 11’ than a 10’, is plenty stable even in chop, and the thin rails make it very easy to turn. It encourages you to get on the nose. Performance-wise it’s a definite step up from something like the Naish Nalu 10-6. It’s more a dedicated surfer than an all-rounder like the Nalu, and less ideal for a beginner, but quite a lot better for ambitious SUP surfers, or very light riders (and is easy to carry, so it’s quite popular with women).

It’s probably going to be my next purchase.....seems good value for money seeing as all the similar longboard SUPs are now around £1600 for a board around 9 kg or so. Have you used it in bigger punchier swell...enough rocker on it to cope with a few later drops?

I’m 90 kg plus wettie....think you are lighter?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:25:28 AM by coldsup »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

What do you consider a "very light rider"?
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »

What do you consider a "very light rider"?
I think it would be fine as an all-rounder (ie for cruising as well as surfing) for people 145lbs and under.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal