Author Topic: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?  (Read 51781 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »
The Naish Nalu 10 x28 1/2 loks pretty cool.  I just get the sense that the bat-tail is a little gimmicky but you never know.
As a lot of you know, with the "Performer" range of longer boards the designs are basically a hybrid of a long and short board. They're not going to turn like a short board, but you can still make a carving bottom turn. They won't glide like a longboard, but glide and hold speed better than a short board. You can hang 5.... Maybe.. No real nose riding, but you'll survive most late drops. They always have side bites and sometimes quad set-ups.

The 10' x 28.5 is almost exactly like my 10' x 29.5 Coreban Icon. The little Bat-Tail is gimmicky, but it's a fun board. This thread got me thinking about making a trade with my little brother to get my hands on that 11'4 Nalu that he almost never uses???? I know he wants a 14' race board???? Nothing like a lopsided trade with your little brother ;D     
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
Good point TD, I had an Icon for 4-5 years, and the swallow tail worked really well.  I rode it mostly as a quad.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
I was sooooo close to buying a 10 ft Stylemaster.....but last minute opted for a Starby 9, 8 Element in Starlite construction. I think it will be a more versatile board and better for me in a wider range of surf and conditions. I was put off a bit by the flattish rocker of the Stylemaster......needed something easier for steeper waves.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
Nice board choice... and I bet you'll never regret having the rocker...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »
Nice board choice... and I bet you'll never regret having the rocker...
Hmm... Depends where you surf. I surf an area which often has weak fat waves and offshores. On a heavily rockered board, especially a spoon-nosed one, it can be frustrating to get into the waves, whereas on a flat rocker board you are away no problem. Some longboard shapes that are designed to handle some juice, like the Gong Zero, adopt the approach of having a flattish rocker to aid paddling speed and acceleration, and cope with the drop by having less volume in the tail and multiple fins. You just have to angle your take-off. But better that than rarely making the wave at all. The stylemaster is very good for catching waves - it’s wave-catching ability is similar to much longer boards. So if that matters to you, it’s a real bonus.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »
Area10,

Was checking out Fanatic's 3D views of the Stylemaster/bamboo and it looks to me to have a huge amount of rocker, more at tail as well.
https://emersya.com/showcase/21R8S39T3O
https://www.fanatic.com/product/stylemaster-bamboo-edition/

Seems the rails are fairly thin, impressive shape, nice video, etc.  Would be more stable than the Nalu 10 Pro, has fitting for mast foot.

Have you found the 10/106 sizes to paddle quite fast and catch flat waves early?  What am I missing?

Can you position this board's ability to catch soft waves early, bumps?, against some other standards you know?

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »
Maybe, the center part is flatter than most?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
Maybe, the center part is flatter than most?
Yes, that’s it, But there isn’t actually that much rocker anyway - it’s less than some: I have a Gong NFA longboard that has more:

https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box1707/Products/GON9SUPFNFA100

And I think it’s fairly similar degree of rocker to my Naish Nalu 10-6 - maybe less overall. I’d have to check...

The thing you first notice about the Stylemaster is how thin the rails are. The deck is domed a bit so they can make them real thin. This is where the performance comes from. You can really chuck it around as well as do traditional longboard moves if you’ve got the skills. It’s very stable and user-friendly given that it’s a fairly low volume board for its size. If you really want a performance longboard that is nose-rideable, but don’t want to go to the extremes of eg. the Naish Nalu 10, with the attendant physical challenges that presents, then the Stylemaster has to be looked at.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
Yup, I have a flat rockered board which is great on clean days but for most other stuff I surf having a bit more rocker mixed with a good tail end does the job better. My pal had an Element...surfed everything and handled steeper take offs much better. He said it was the best noseriding board he ever had. The new zelement is also the same litreage as my flat rockered longboard so ideal.

Heard lots of very good things about the Stylemaster but also that it can be a bit trickier in less than ideal conditions if you are around my 90 to 95 kgs. And that feedback is from a very good SUP surfer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:56:00 PM by coldsup »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
The new(ish) 10-6 Stylemaster could probably handle that weight, but the smaller sizes are low volume boards so are for light people or cleanish conditions. The rails are very thin, so if you are a big unit it doesn’t take much to sink them, which can be an issue in chop. Of course, however, in clean conditions it also means huge amounts of manoeuvrability. Horses for courses. A friend of mine who is about 150lbs surfed my 10ft Stylemaster and 10-6 Nalu back-to-back in really messy conditions and found the Stylemaster quite easy, but the Nalu very tricky, whereas I, who am a bit heavier, found exactly the opposite pattern.

Everyone seems to want a “high performance” longboard. But there are certain realities to such boards, and often the thing that has led them to wanting a longboard was that the conditions they surf in are not ideal, and/or they aren’t exactly Kai Lenny. So sometimes going for a “performance” longboard is self-defeating, and actually the SUPer would look better and have more fun on something better suited to the conditions and aptitude.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
Billie....Stylemaster May well be a good choice for you if you are after something to surf fatter waves. I opted for something else as I’m covered for that ... I’m after something that could cover more bases.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »
"have more fun on something better suited to the conditions and aptitude"  Hear, hear!   As one who has chased unicorns, thinking "A better horse will make me a better rider."  I could not agree mare...   I have seen guys who could style the oldest piece of crap and others who looked like they were cast for the lead in a surf movie, flail about.  It is reasonably serious money for most; spend it wisely.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
"have more fun on something better suited to the conditions and aptitude"  Hear, hear!   As one who has chased unicorns, thinking "A better horse will make me a better rider."  I could not agree mare...   I have seen guys who could style the oldest piece of crap and others who looked like they were cast for the lead in a surf movie, flail about.  It is reasonably serious money for most; spend it wisely.

Jim

SUPs are stupid money now....I point blank refuse to pay the top cash for these boards....I always go for the cheaper option...you can still get really good boards at “reasonable” prices.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »
I'll praise, for fun, since its no longer in production... Riviera's The Boss.  10' x 31" maybe 150 L or so.  Riviera called it a longboard or performance longboard, but it is really a hybrid shape... like a NUGG on steroids.  It has a slightly domed deck and nice rails.  It hit my sweet spot of fun and aptitude (or lack thereof). It looks common, but oddly there is no other board currently in production with analogous dims and shape. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwPFUvsfNE

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
SUPs are stupid money now....I point blank refuse to pay the top cash for these boards....I always go for the cheaper option...you can still get really good boards at “reasonable” prices.

Especially averse to paying list when when you see last years model marked down significantly, and years previous to that marked down 40-50%.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:08:31 PM by Dusk Patrol »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM