Author Topic: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?  (Read 51788 times)

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 04:24:20 PM »
Good point Area 10. Not only is Patrice Guénolé clearly a great longboard surfer, but I think he is a pretty big guy. I have always had good luck getting surfboards from shapers who were similar in size to myself. It is hard to imagine that a Gong longboard wouldn’t also be a good choice.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »
Good point Area 10. Not only is Patrice Guénolé clearly a great longboard surfer, but I think he is a pretty big guy. I have always had good luck getting surfboards from shapers who were similar in size to myself. It is hard to imagine that a Gong longboard wouldn’t also be a good choice.
Yeah. About 10 years ago, Patrice Guénolé came to my local beach and took part in a SUP surf competition. There really wasn’t any point anyone else being there. It’s crazy that this kind of surfing would (largely) not score you any points at most SUP surf comps these days.

He was carrying some weight back then. He’s slimmed down a lot since. But, yeah, he’s not a small guy. He’s bigger than most men who are that good on a longboard SUP (and there are very few of them worldwide).

The build quality of the latest Gongs is really good (I have two). The paintwork in particular is far better than the Fanatic and Naish surf SUPs I have. They are a bargain really, if you are in Europe. As to performance, well, the video says it better than I can. The board isn’t going to be the limiting factor in your surfing.

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »
Thanks again for all your helpful information!

Almost sold on the 10' Stylemaster. Not sure about the construction yet. Could get a goo
d deal on the former pure an ltd constructions. New bamboo construction looks promising though... 
Also considering Gong, but don't really find an equivalent to the Stylemaster in the current range.
Won't be able to use it until march/april, so no hurry...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:46 AM »
Just want one last pitch for a true longboard shape, meaning narrower for a SUP. The Gong guys clearly understand this design.

If you can stand on it, it will help your style immensely. The Gong surfers exemplify the style (if that’s what you mean over just a longer SUP.)

As I’ve added to another thread, i padddled a 9’0” x 24” true longboard at my 5’8” height, 135 lbs and 50 yrs old. It was too small, but  I now understand Anonsurfer’s obsession with narrow boards. You can simply surf and turn them in a way that you cannot do with a 31” wide board. I won’t be building a board over 27” wide again and I’ll try 26” for sure. 

That said, you should of course scale that up for your size. But a 10’ x 28 is about the only thing that will approximate a longboard shape really. The old Laird boards were 12’ x 28” wide and have pretty much a surfboard scale.

In the end, I’m 99% sure that most folks won’t do this, and shouldn’t. But since this is a longboard thread I wanted to offer it to folks who are advanced riders, have access to a custom shaper and who might just want to try a true longboard SUP. In the end, buy what will feel good to you.

Final addition. Watching the Gong and Infinity vids, you see the benefit of focusing on body position. It matters. If people truly wanted to fit into the lineup better, they’d watch and correct their “poo stance” and focus on a clean cross step and those beautiful turns. From Malibu in ‘64 to today, everyone respects clean beautiful surfing and a long, drawn out shape encourages that more than just about anything.

As a guy who’s focused my last few years on learning this style on a prone longboard, I love seeing this focus on the forum. I personally can’t watch another video of someone stabbing and slashing a wave on a potato chip SUP. Thx for th thread.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 05:29:03 AM »
Thanks again for all your helpful information!

Almost sold on the 10' Stylemaster. Not sure about the construction yet. Could get a goo
d deal on the former pure an ltd constructions. New bamboo construction looks promising though... 
Also considering Gong, but don't really find an equivalent to the Stylemaster in the current range.
Won't be able to use it until march/april, so no hurry...
I guess that for an equivalent of the Stylemaster within the Gong range, you’d maybe be looking at the 10ft or 9ft NFA. They are performance longboards but still very useable by everyone (like the Stylemaster). You’d go to the Zero range if you really wanted to push the longboard performance envelope. The Zeros are very light.

The NFA boards are now full PVC sandwich with carbon in the standing area. Perfect. Should be strong, durable, and last a long time.

Gong also sell the Origin range of longboard SUPs, which are narrow and very traditional in shape, for old school logging. Beautiful wood finish. For traditional noseriding etc.

And as if they weren’t enough, they also do the Freak range of longboards. They are kinda between the NFA and Zero in style, between 9 and 10ft, and covering some pretty slim low volume models to one that would be a bit easier for the heavier guy.

Basically, no other brand makes anything like as many longboard SUP shapes as Gong. They are pretty obsessed with longboard SUP as you can see from their videos. So, whether you are a beginner or a pro, wanting to ride traditional-style, new school, or anywhere in between, they have you covered.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2019, 06:14:55 AM »
From what I can see the Stylemaster has thinner rails and a slightly flatter rocker which looks ideal to me for noseriding. Plus there a 1 kg difference in weight in favour of the Stylemaster....that has me sold.

The NFA looks like a good solid all round longboard shape for everyone....with a bit of performance thrown in.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Last year's LTD lighter and rides a little better!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »
From what I can see the Stylemaster has thinner rails and a slightly flatter rocker which looks ideal to me for noseriding.

The stylemaster is definitly not for noseriding.  You can get on the nose, but only in small doses.  Still, a great all around performance longboard.  Very fast and very manouverable.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
From what I can see the Stylemaster has thinner rails and a slightly flatter rocker which looks ideal to me for noseriding.

The stylemaster is definitly not for noseriding.  You can get on the nose, but only in small doses.  Still, a great all around performance longboard.  Very fast and very maneuverable.

I agree, I found the stylemaster a little difficult to nose ride though it performs well on the waves and construction of the pure (2018) was solid.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
Just want one last pitch for a true longboard shape, meaning narrower for a SUP. The Gong guys clearly understand this design.

If you can stand on it, it will help your style immensely. The Gong surfers exemplify the style (if that’s what you mean over just a longer SUP.)

That said, you should of course scale that up for your size. But a 10’ x 28 is about the only thing that will approximate a longboard shape really. The old Laird boards were 12’ x 28” wide and have pretty much a surfboard scale.

In the end, I’m 99% sure that most folks won’t do this, and shouldn’t. But since this is a longboard thread I wanted to offer it to folks who are advanced riders, have access to a custom shaper and who might just want to try a true longboard SUP. In the end, buy what will feel good to you.

Final addition. Watching the Gong and Infinity vids, you see the benefit of focusing on body position. It matters. If people truly wanted to fit into the lineup better, they’d watch and correct their “poo stance” and focus on a clean cross step and those beautiful turns. From Malibu in ‘64 to today, everyone respects clean beautiful surfing and a long, drawn out shape encourages that more than just about anything.

As a guy who’s focused my last few years on learning this style on a prone longboard, I love seeing this focus on the forum. I personally can’t watch another video of someone stabbing and slashing a wave on a potato chip SUP. Thx for th thread.

This board is an old shape that I still grab on those really clean days for its looseness.   10-6 x 28   

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »

The stylemaster is definitly not for noseriding.  You can get on the nose, but only in small doses.  Still, a great all around performance longboard.  Very fast and very manouverable.

I’m not really after a true noserider like the JL Bkack and Blue.....something which surfs well, allows you to get up to the nose now and again....but not perched there....we rarely get long peeling waves.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
For me being tall and heavier than most, the Naish Nalu 11'4 x 30"x 4.5" 180L is my all time favorite longboard sup. It has thinner rails, not to wide, thin nose, thin tail, continuos rocker (it's magic) and the mastery of Iggy behind it. My brother and a surf buddy both have one. I've surfed my buddies a bunch of times. Love it.

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/nalu-114-gtw

For an average size person the 10'6 x 30" x 4" 160L

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/nalu-10_6-gtw/

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
For me being tall and heavier than most, the Naish Nalu 11'4 x 30"x 4.5" 180L is my all time favorite longboard sup. It has thinner rails, not to wide, thin nose, thin tail, continuos rocker (it's magic) and the mastery of Iggy behind it. My brother and a surf buddy both have one. I've surfed my buddies a bunch of times. Love it.

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/nalu-114-gtw

For an average size person the 10'6 x 30" x 4" 160L

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/nalu-10_6-gtw/

Yeah agree 100 per cent.....I had one and it’s a great shape. It was just too big for me....volume and length. Super fun on bigger fat wave.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 06:18:05 AM »
The Naish Nalu 10 x28 1/2 loks pretty cool.  I just get the sense that the bat-tail is a little gimmicky but you never know.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2019, 07:26:15 AM »
As a Fanatic Guy.

The StyleMaster isn't a noseridder you can just "Camp out on the nose" You gotta pump it to keep generating speed  (aka Mickey Dora) Plus the older models 2018 on back I changed the trail fin to a "Cordy" 6.5 fin (TruAmes has them)
generates speed better, looser, and thus improves nose ridding.

This is a very hiigh performaNCE longboard

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM