Author Topic: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?  (Read 51790 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »
Yep. I have personally owned long board sups as long as 10'6 - Hobie CM - known as the Graf Spee; and as short as 8'8" - Angulo.

I was just observing that we were going a little far a field with someone asking for help.

I don't have a death grip on that perception; but it also took place on another thread recently.

Timi - autocorrect failed thank God - hopefully has benefited from an interesting exploration!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 01:38:34 AM »
They are quite different boards - and are intended to be. The Stylemaster is fairly low volume for a 10x30, at around 130L (I think). The NFA is 1ft longer, over an inch wider, and 30L more volume. It makes quite a difference. The Stylemaster is aimed at a surfers who know what they are doing and want to develop their skills, whereas the NFA is designed to flatter everyone who rides it. A comparison between the 10ft NFA and the 10ft Stylemaster would be a more interesting proposition. But if I was looking for a really high performance longboard I’d go for the Gong Zero 9ft Pro at 115L. That might be the highest performance production SUP on the market. And only weighs 16lbs!

https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box1707/Products/GON9SUPZERO90PRO115

The 10ft Stylemaster is high performance, but is still useable by the average guy or girl. I imagine that the Gong Zero Pro would require another level of skill beyond that.

But why make it harder than it has to be? I had an AMAZING session on the NFA 11 back in the summer. The waves were only 1-2ft but clean and long, and the NFA caught them easily and allowed me to walk all over the board, perfectly relaxed, yet easily turn whenever I wanted to. There were a couple of other guys out on boards in the 8-9ft range and they couldn’t even catch the waves. But I was just picking them off at will, and then cruising past them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Yup, Stylemaster more suited I think.years back I owned at 12 NFA.....it was huge but still fun but hell to carry anywhere  ;D. Glad to hear the construction has improved...their boards were not well made back then. The NFA back then was (is) a good all rounder from memory but had a good enough design to surf well.

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 01:57:13 AM »
Thanks again for the continuous flow of valuable information! This forum is really a great platform and you are very kind to get involved in my quest for a longboard.

@mrbig: no worries, i absolutely benfited from all the replies. Thank you!

I'll try to specify my quest:
As you all mentioned, the field is vast, there is a lot of of choice. As i have never ridden a longboard style sup, it is not easy to know what i'm really looking for. Not for me and not for you.
Absorbing all your input, i think it's most likely an "allround-performance-orientated" kind of shape, i.e. a Fanatic Stylemaster, Sunova Surf...
As said, i want to be able to catch waves early, have  a lot of glide to make slow sections, be able to turn it from the tail in the steeper sections and be able to try some longboard style moves.
Concerning my sup-surfing skillz: Hard to say. Intermediate with good balance and fitness, getting along with various conditions on my Flow 8'7. Sometimes pictures can tell more than words. Unfortunately, i only got one recent video, smallest waves ever - don't expect fireworks! ;)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:34:19 AM by Timi »

supthecreek

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 03:10:40 AM »
Nice Timi... you rip dude, you will adapt easily to a longboard.

Longboard style is a wide open canvas.
you simply relax into it and let your body express in sync with the board.

Classic longboard is as much of a dance as it is technical.
More posing, creative use of arms, hands and body posture with flair.
Completely awesome to watch, when you see someone who can put it out there.

For all aspiring longboarders following this thread...

There are two basic paths to take:
1 - longer or heavier board if you like a smooth , drawn out classic style
2 - light, with less width if you want more high performance surfing.

This video has been on several threads, but I can't get enough of it!
This kid has totally embraced all the elements that are the beauty of classic longboard style.
on a 14 foot board.....
It shows the value of length and weight.
it requires patience and technique, and an ability to fill the slower pace with inspiring grace and theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq7ho4NP4Tg

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 05:24:04 AM »
Agree Rick.....

I have a heavy floaty longboard SUP which comes into its own on crappy days or windy days....the momentum is brilliant.....smooths out everything. But you really need to surf it gently. It’s a torpedo out there .....wouldn’t like to be hit by it!

(Carrying it isn’t fun either)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2019, 06:26:53 AM »
STC, Thanks for sharing that vid. Remember the Graf Spee! LOL!

Timi - You are surfing the crap out of that Sunova! You clearly have the skillz to make your decision without adjusting for balance issues, experience, et cetera, et cetera.

Stylemaster, New Deal, JL Destroyer, Hobie, Deep JC, SMIK, Sunova, and Gong. Probably left something out.

Your main issue seems to be distribution. Good luck, and no matter what you decide you will have an enormous amount of FUN!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »
nice vid, creek

relaaaaaaxxxxx

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »
Some chance of getting a walled up wave that last more that 10 secs where I am  ;D ;D

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »
So this is a vid of a 200l board. 11’ and more than twice the liters for my weight.
Relaxing back on the tail.

Cardiff Kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
I have been riding this NSP super X. 9' x 28 116 L
I have also tried the 10' x 27 and its crazy fun, but the 9' is the best trimming SUP I have ever ridden. See video below of Paul Jonesy from AUS.

https://www.nspsurfboards.com/product/dc-surf-super-x/

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:26:00 PM by Cardiff Kook »

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
Good surfing right there !
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
I have a 9x28 119l board as well. It’s an early years PSH all around thin and low volume longboard shape. But while it has the shape at my size 6’ 195# it is really feels and handles like a shortboard.  Blane really made a classic here and on a clean day it’s a blast, but it is not a longboard.

Proners refer to a proper longboard as a ‘log’ and for me with a sup that feeling only starts in the 10’+ range.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
By definition a (prone) longboard is generally 3' overhead (for shorter folks and kids) or over 9' for the rest of us.  (But, there are plenty of good mini-mals that defy that convention.) 

While my favorite longboard SUP is actually 9'6", I generally think of longboard SUP's in the 10'+ range.  The lines are blurred to say the least...

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 12:41:03 PM »
Timi,

I am almost exactly your size(5-10lbs heavier). I have been a shortboard surfer all of my life, so like you, I was looking for a longboard sup that I could learn to “longboard” on. I really recommend the Fanatic Stylemaster 10’. It has a ton of glide and gets in really early. The tail and rails are surfboard foiled, so it will crank a turn when you step back. I am not an expert noserider, but the board is very stable and is a good platform for working on cross stepping and getting to the nose. And again, I am blown away by how easy it gets into waves. I think the flatter section and parallel rails in the center give it a lot of boat speed. It works well for getting around the break quickly and is the perfect for hunting down peaks outside that are barely breaking.

Having said all that, maybe all performance longboard sups have those attributes. I don’t know, but if you can get a cheap deal on a Stylemaster I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
Yeah, the Stylemaster is a good board. I have the 10ft one too. There a smaller one now as well.

But if you live in Europe, you should probably be considering one of these:

https://youtu.be/q57exVNV5qQ

(Apologies to those who have already seen this vid on the other longboard thread.)

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM