Author Topic: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?  (Read 51778 times)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: Longboard Style SUP: Yes, but wich one?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Hey Supnorte, thanks again for your explanations and welcoming words! We enjoyed the endless portuguese  summer last christmas in Arrifana and will definately come back. The waves in your vidz look like the perfect easy glass to me - in a mirror. :) Do you also have a right like that around the corner?

Cheers

Arrifana is a very cool spot. The only thing that I don't like is that when the tide is higher the beach disappears and my family starts giving me sting eyes  ;D

On Saturday the waves were great again (even better than during the week) and everybody was surfing the right instead of the left break (wichi in my opinion was much better). I was sidelined because I had a cold and want to return in full force during the week.

Here is was the left was looking like

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
Lots of people seem to like the Stylemaster and the new 10 ft version is only 9 kg and costs a fair whack less than other carbon designs. I’ve never used one but not heard many or anything negative about them except some find the slightly domed deck weird at first.

The JL Black and Blue is an out and out noserider.....small wave peeling machine.... built for that only
Yeah, I’ve got a 10ft Fanatic Stylemaster. It’s a great board. It picks up waves more like an 11’ than a 10’, is plenty stable even in chop, and the thin rails make it very easy to turn. It encourages you to get on the nose. Performance-wise it’s a definite step up from something like the Naish Nalu 10-6. It’s more a dedicated surfer than an all-rounder like the Nalu, and less ideal for a beginner, but quite a lot better for ambitious SUP surfers, or very light riders (and is easy to carry, so it’s quite popular with women).
What do you consider a "very light rider"?
I think it would be fine as an all-rounder (ie for cruising as well as surfing) for people 145lbs and under.

Area10.... have you used it in decent swell as well as small longboard waves?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
Lots of people seem to like the Stylemaster and the new 10 ft version is only 9 kg and costs a fair whack less than other carbon designs. I’ve never used one but not heard many or anything negative about them except some find the slightly domed deck weird at first.

The JL Black and Blue is an out and out noserider.....small wave peeling machine.... built for that only
Yeah, I’ve got a 10ft Fanatic Stylemaster. It’s a great board. It picks up waves more like an 11’ than a 10’, is plenty stable even in chop, and the thin rails make it very easy to turn. It encourages you to get on the nose. Performance-wise it’s a definite step up from something like the Naish Nalu 10-6. It’s more a dedicated surfer than an all-rounder like the Nalu, and less ideal for a beginner, but quite a lot better for ambitious SUP surfers, or very light riders (and is easy to carry, so it’s quite popular with women).

It’s probably going to be my next purchase.....seems good value for money seeing as all the similar longboard SUPs are now around £1600 for a board around 9 kg or so. Have you used it in bigger punchier swell...enough rocker on it to cope with a few later drops?

I’m 90 kg plus wettie....think you are lighter?
Yeah it copes well with big drops - the rails are so thin that it’s quite easy to angle and stay in control. Yeah, I’m lighter than you are. At 135L, if you are 90kg you’ll need either fairly clean conditions or reasonable balance to be comfortable for long sessions on it in typical UK windy crap. But the performance in decent swell is really excellent considering it’s 30” wide, and it is probably more stable than other performance longboards out there that have more pinched or narrow designs.

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
@Supnorte: Nice waves man. Lucky you!  8)

Stylemaster seems to be a good option, thanks for bringing it up. I can get a good deal on it, prisewise by far the most attractive. But i also like the idea of a custom 10' sunova surf, thinned out to 130l and pimped with orange tint. Probably influenced by all the nice custom sunovas i've lately seen online...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »

What do you consider a "very light rider"?
I think it would be fine as an all-rounder (ie for cruising as well as surfing) for people 145lbs and under.
So naked, dehydrated and starved for a couple of days it might work for me.  :o

Trying to get a feel for length, width and liters that would cruise okay but still perform pretty well. Fed, dressed and properly hydrated I am low 150s possibly drifting to high 150s and then back down.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »
Well, I’ve covered between 5 and 10 miles on the Stylemaster during many surf sessions, and I’ve also cruised around on flat water on it perfectly comfortably for a few miles. And I’m heavier than you. So it can be done, for sure. But I also have a 10-6 Nalu and a 11’0x30” Gong NFA longboard, and if I was going out specifically to cover some distance then I’d rather be on either of those than the Stylemaster.

I have a friend who is about 150lbs I think, and he preferred the Stylemaster to the 10-6 Nalu, and said he found it actually more stable in chop. This is probably because the lower volume and narrower rails mean you stand closer to the water. I don’t find the Stylemaster more stable than the Nalu - but I’m about 20lbs heavier than him. So I think that rider weight is probably quite important for the paddling experience on these thin-railed fairly low volume performance longboards.

My Stylemaster is the expensive 2017-2018 LTD construction, so it’s lovely and light. If you are used to lugging a heavy distance board around, it is really nice to pick one of these up, if you’ve got a long walk to the water. If you are exploring an area and might be getting in and out of the water and with periods of portage, this can be a be a big advantage of using a board like this for recreational distance paddling. I wouldn’t want to paddle much more than about 10 miles a day on one though, or carry anything much on it.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
the Stylemaster's a nice and solid long board and surprisingly performs on reef breaks.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks Area 10 and JEG...useful feedback.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
I’m exactly your height and weight (6’3x 190) and I find my 11’x 31” Naish Nalu purrr-fect..  8)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:08:35 PM by DavidJohn »

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
That Nalu seems to have some serious glide. Thanks for your input! An a nice vid from partywaveparadise!  8)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
I’m 195 and this vid is from a 2’ gutless day. 00:52 and 2:40 show some nose time.

The board is a custom Surf. 
A very thinned out 10-6 x 31 145l all terrain and fail proof.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:20:48 AM by surfinJ »

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
Hey @surfinJ, thanks for joining in! Nice vid and surfing! I know that stretch of coastline a bit, a lot of good memories (from getting smashed by overhead bombs ;)).
As mentioned, a custom surf is quite on top of the wish list. Would you mind some extra questions? Why did you option for the larger and longer 10'6 instead of the 10'? Would you stick with the dimensions or rather go down in size/volume?

A lot of good info and suggestions from everyone. Thanks again!

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
Sure, I wouldn’t go down in size.  I like the length and long feel of 10-6 and even have an old 11’ PSH that I love.  I’ve tried 10’ sups and they miss the longboard feel for me.
Having a quiver has let me go to my low volume limit with a shortboard shape and then a longboard with a large surplus of floatation, a clear difference.

A low volume long longboard would go good in tubes or big waves but that’s it. A short 9-10’ longboard shape might work for a small guy but at my size, and you’re taller, just seems to miss that “long” feel.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »
Yeah, I like longer boards too.

Talking of which - hey, DJ: is this the 11’0 Nalu Robbie uses here?

https://youtu.be/N7LhQtEg-jo

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
Yeah, I like longer boards too.

Talking of which - hey, DJ: is this the 11’0 Nalu Robbie uses here?

https://youtu.be/N7LhQtEg-jo

DJ said in the Breeze that it was the 11'4 "Also pretty sure it's a 2015 11'4'' Nalu"

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Robby-Naish-sets-tidal-bore-record?page=1
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM