Author Topic: SUP Surfing with BPPV Vertigo  (Read 8591 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: SUP Surfing with BPPV Vertigo
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »
Zoo....  100%.  De-hydration is linked to a lot of symptoms. I am the reverse of a 'leaky boat'. I am well ahead of most of you guys and have become Mr. Pee's-a-Lot in the last five years. 

I was getting 120 bpm in the middle of the fricking night?! My typical resting is <60.  (My wife is a retired RN, we have lots of hardware, O2, etc.)  I can get massive, almost to tears, leg cramps in the middle of the night.  I drink a couple of glasses of water and they go away.   My cardio says my heart is fine; 'Drink more water.'. 

Prost!   Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
Drink more water is fine, but wearing knee-high compression socks during the day cured my wicked cramps, and helps hydration since you aren't pooling blood and fluids in your legs. Give it a try, you might be shocked at how effective it is.

I suspected a difference in waking up to pee, so I tracked peeing at night for 30 days for the days I did and didn't wear compression--days with compression I wake up to pee six nights out of 18. Without the socks, I wake up seven nights out of 12. Almost worth it just for that little improvement. My assumption is that laying down to sleep returns the pooled fluids to the rest of your body and it gets eliminated. Presto--pee. I doubt I'm really right, but it sounds good from an engineering perspective--which I've found is near useless for biology.

Kind of a pain in the ass to get the socks on, but the most effective ones I've found are also the easiest to get on--called Vitalsox, made in Italy with silver thread included in the weave to keep the stink under control. I also note that little cuts on my feet heal well wearing these. They are cheap/reasonably priced depending on how popular a specific color/size was on Amazon. Without the socks, I get cramps after almost every active day. With them, I don't. At all.

I can get away with not wearing them to surf or foil as long as I wear them for the rest of the day, so you don't have to emulate my "homeless mime" look when you get into the water.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:32:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
I can attest to the socks working too. I was getting terrible cramps. I drink plenty, not dehydration, and I was waking up with double leg cramps that were killer. Socks fixed them immediately. I just wear them occasionally. if I start getting cramps I wear them for a couple days 24/7....then I won't get any cramps for weeks or more.

Thanks Ninja but its basically just the alternative sucking toads....:)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:00:39 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
PB & Stone-  Are the socks only for calf cramps, or do they help with quad or hammy cramps, as well?

I sometimes get excruciating adductor (and/or medial hamstring) cramps.  I've played around with hydration, electrolyte balance, stretching, and a few other variables, and none of them seem to be correlated with the cramping.  The cause seems to be repeated loaded hip flexion (snowshoeing is a prime culprit, but sometimes I get them after just hiking uphill all day).  Fortunately, SUP doesn't involve much hip flexion against resistance (mostly the reverse, ie, using your muscles to *resist* hip flexion while under compressive load, similar to an isometric squat).

Do you think that compression socks would help for adductor/hammy cramps?  I've also considered trying compression shorts, but haven't got around to running that particular experiment yet...

TIA for any pearls of wisdom -- leg cramps are a bugger!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:11:12 AM »
Ok I’ll pitch up my experience as well. I had vertigo my 40’s and started using Flonase and that helped a lot. It’s not overnight, it takes a few weeks to work. Try it as it has no real side effects and is over the counter now. I’m assuming like TallDude that it reduced the inflammation in my ears as well as sinuses.

I now believe mine has a viral component. (Eva the board lady posted up about that and apparently it’s common.) Again, since the drugs are not that serious you might ask your doctor for a round of one of the commonly prescribed anti-virals.

Eply didn’t help me but reducing inflammation in my ears did. I still have it in mild form when I travel sometimes but it’s not enough to treat generally and passes in a few hours.

Hope some of this helps people.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »
amazing how many folks here have experienced vertigo! The medical literature is clearly WAY OFf in terms of incidence of this symptom. I too have had scary run ins with vertigo. In my case thought to be BPPV but i later diagnosed as migraine associated vertigo. For me, avoiding dietary triggers such as MSG was the key.

On the subject of vertigo, do others notice that their balance changes from day to day a LOT even when there is NO vertigo?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
JSB, I get cramps all the way up to my abdomen if I don't wear the socks, and the worst cramps are in my quads and hamstrings. You wouldn't expect calf-high socks to help with that, and initially, I wore compression tights, but I tried the calf-high and found they worked to eliminate the cramps. I was still concerned that I might be courting problems down the road since my vein doc recommended tights, so when I went for a followup I asked about them. He had me come in with the socks on after wearing them for a morning and did an ultrasound check for reflux--no problem, the socks were working all the way up my leg.

Cowboy--Flonase is a very useful drug. I've used it to help my balance and to make clearing my tubes easier while diving. It also substantially improves my sense of taste, which is pretty cool. Years ago I caught a virus that gave me a month of intense vertigo. I fell down helplessly if I turned my head. The virus makes the hairs in the balance sensor sticky and they trap and randomly release the crystals that act as a level indicator. It cleared up, but when I had a minor return bout a few years ago I used Flonase and it cleared instantly.

Toolate--my balance changes EVERY day. Some days I can barely stand on my foil board, and some days I am the Master of Balance. I'm going to get some Flonase, I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. The warning paper that comes with a box of Flonase has the shortest list of side effects I've seen--no anal leakage, no sudden death--the most worrying is over-reliance on it. Fortunately, my ADD ensures I'd never over-rely on anything because I forget it too often.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:17:11 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
Warning:
Not specifically discussing vertigo.... but from what I have read on this thread, I feel it may have some value.
It seems like inflammation may add to the vertigo problem?

folks always seem to take the following advice with a grain of salt,
because it doesn't sound like a solution at all... but I will put it out there again.

My background:
Swim team in a community pool since I could walk
Ear infections became chronic.

Swim team through High school as a distance swimmer.
Started surfing at the same time.

From 1965 to 2014
My ear canals were getting smaller as "swimmers ear" evolved into "surfers ear"
Consequently, they were always blocked up with wax and trying to unblock them always led to inflammation, then infection.
As a result I spent at least 75% of every year deaf in one or both ears.
I don't know one person who has had more ear infections and blockage than me.

Medically known as "exostosis of the external auditory canal,
" surfer's ear is caused by repeated exposure to cold water and wind.
Cooling of the ear canal stimulates bone growth that narrows the canal and blocks the eardrum"

That blockage led to trapped water and wax, which alway became inflamed, then infected

I tried it all:
Doc's Pro Plugs
Silicone plus
vinegar
wax remover
burning cones stuck in my ear (at least that was fun)
ZERO success, no matter what I did.

I wasted untold amount of money getting antibiotics from doctors

Then, in 2014..... it all stopped.
I have NEVER had an infection or hearing loss since.

What changed?

I started wearing a Kook Hat, held on by chin strap with mesh over the ears.(pic)

That's it! Nothing fancy or exotic..... just a kooky looking strapped, trucker Hat.

no... it doesn't keep the water out and it doesn't filter anything...
But what it does do, is keep the WIND off my ears... and keeps my inner ear warmer.
And protects my ears from excessive water pressure during a nasty wipeout.
I don't wear it sometimes.... I wear it ALL the time.

A lifetime of deafness and pain stopped overnight.

I hope this helps someone with ear inflammation or who knows... maybe even vertigo issues.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 07:17:40 AM »
I started wearing a Kook Hat, held on by chin strap with mesh over the ears.(pic)
It doesn't keep the water out and it doesn't filter anything...
But what it does do, is keep the WIND off my ears... and keeps my inner ear warmer.
And protects my ears from excessive water pressure during a nasty wipeout.
I hope this helps someone with ear inflammation or who knows... maybe even vertigo issues.
+1 on the trucker hat. Mines an FCS cap...the DaKine looks equally as effective and comfortable.
Four drill outs for me and countless visits to the ENT office for wax dig outs (quite uncomfortable) has me preferring the trucker style hat over the bucket also for that exact reason....BIG help to cover and protect your ears. Only problem is when you prone paddle it obscures your vision quite a bit.
I know nothing of vertigo having never experienced it at all, cept maybe when I went rock climbing like 25 yrs ago, helping out there.so I can't say anything about the trucker hat. Vertigo sounds really frustrating!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:24:55 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 07:55:22 AM »
Surf Ears are an other (hear-through) alternative

https://surfears.com/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
I wear a bucket kook hat, mostly because my dermatologist told me I was turning my ears to leather and he'd be cutting the tops of them off pretty soon if I didn't take better care of them. The bucket kook hat is the ultimate in geek nerd tool kook wanker fashion, but it has two advantages over the trucker billed hat--I can flip the bill up out of the way when I'm getting back up to my feet and would like to see the horizon (stability) and it shades my neck, which is a strong secondary reason for wearing one.

My particular bucket has a full-crown pocket in the top of the hat. I don't know what the makers intended me to do with that, but I cut a full-sized circle of 1/4" closed-cell foam that gives me a tiny bit of impact protection, lets me carry boards on my head a little more comfortably, and floats the hat a bit better.

To Creek's point, I have noticed that my hearing has been better lately. I didn't think about why.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
That's an outstanding shot of you on that Kalama board Bill!  Thats a good PSA, I have to start wearing my bucket on a regular basis.  Having said that, I could not help but be reminded of this gem:

https://youtu.be/vmEV1d7RPvg

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
I wear the same hat but your idea for foam on top is a good one.
When it is really windy or big i do wear a helmet
I wear a bucket kook hat, mostly because my dermatologist told me I was turning my ears to leather and he'd be cutting the tops of them off pretty soon if I didn't take better care of them. The bucket kook hat is the ultimate in geek nerd tool kook wanker fashion, but it has two advantages over the trucker billed hat--I can flip the bill up out of the way when I'm getting back up to my feet and would like to see the horizon (stability) and it shades my neck, which is a strong secondary reason for wearing one.

My particular bucket has a full-crown pocket in the top of the hat. I don't know what the makers intended me to do with that, but I cut a full-sized circle of 1/4" closed-cell foam that gives me a tiny bit of impact protection, lets me carry boards on my head a little more comfortably, and floats the hat a bit better.

To Creek's point, I have noticed that my hearing has been better lately. I didn't think about why.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 03:55:43 AM »
i was also diagnosed with exostosis and now push silicone into my ears every time i go into the water, including every shower. i don't allow water or wind in there. been doing that for about 10 years now. it pretty much eliminated my hearing problems...but my vertigo lives on. fortunately, it is sporadic. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »
I've always hated hats....big head, everything looks like a beany. And now with my balance so vision dependent even things like the brim of a hat being a false horizon screws me up. I should get one of creeks hats and cut the brim short or off. Worth a shot and saving my remaining ear/hearing is important to me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal