Author Topic: SUP Surfing with BPPV Vertigo  (Read 945 times)

Wetstuff

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: SUP Surfing with BPPV Vertigo
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »
Zoo....  100%.  De-hydration is linked to a lot of symptoms. I am the reverse of a 'leaky boat'. I am well ahead of most of you guys and have become Mr. Pee's-a-Lot in the last five years. 

I was getting 120 bpm in the middle of the fricking night?! My typical resting is <60.  (My wife is a retired RN, we have lots of hardware, O2, etc.)  I can get massive, almost to tears, leg cramps in the middle of the night.  I drink a couple of glasses of water and they go away.   My cardio says my heart is fine; 'Drink more water.'. 

Prost!   Jim

Sunova Skate XL .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
Drink more water is fine, but wearing knee-high compression socks during the day cured my wicked cramps, and helps hydration since you aren't pooling blood and fluids in your legs. Give it a try, you might be shocked at how effective it is.

I suspected a difference in waking up to pee, so I tracked peeing at night for 30 days for the days I did and didn't wear compression--days with compression I wake up to pee six nights out of 18. Without the socks, I wake up seven nights out of 12. Almost worth it just for that little improvement. My assumption is that laying down to sleep returns the pooled fluids to the rest of your body and it gets eliminated. Presto--pee. I doubt I'm really right, but it sounds good from an engineering perspective--which I've found is near useless for biology.

Kind of a pain in the ass to get the socks on, but the most effective ones I've found are also the easiest to get on--called Vitalsox, made in Italy with silver thread included in the weave to keep the stink under control. I also note that little cuts on my feet heal well wearing these. They are cheap/reasonably priced depending on how popular a specific color/size was on Amazon. Without the socks, I get cramps after almost every active day. With them, I don't. At all.

I can get away with not wearing them to surf or foil as long as I wear them for the rest of the day, so you don't have to emulate my "homeless mime" look when you get into the water.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:32:15 PM by PonoBill »
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
I can attest to the socks working too. I was getting terrible cramps. I drink plenty, not dehydration, and I was waking up with double leg cramps that were killer. Socks fixed them immediately. I just wear them occasionally. if I start getting cramps I wear them for a couple days 24/7....then I won't get any cramps for weeks or more.

Thanks Ninja but its basically just the alternative sucking toads....:)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:00:39 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
PB & Stone-  Are the socks only for calf cramps, or do they help with quad or hammy cramps, as well?

I sometimes get excruciating adductor (and/or medial hamstring) cramps.  I've played around with hydration, electrolyte balance, stretching, and a few other variables, and none of them seem to be correlated with the cramping.  The cause seems to be repeated loaded hip flexion (snowshoeing is a prime culprit, but sometimes I get them after just hiking uphill all day).  Fortunately, SUP doesn't involve much hip flexion against resistance (mostly the reverse, ie, using your muscles to *resist* hip flexion while under compressive load, similar to an isometric squat).

Do you think that compression socks would help for adductor/hammy cramps?  I've also considered trying compression shorts, but haven't got around to running that particular experiment yet...

TIA for any pearls of wisdom -- leg cramps are a bugger!