Author Topic: Windfoil crash.  (Read 114783 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Windfoil crash.
« on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:03 AM »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Windfoil crash.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
Have you tried Windfoiling yet?
Easiest foiling around
Nice Vid

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
I think the helmet is required by racing rule. Albeau only seems to wear it in a contest.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
I'm going to start windfoiling when the surf blows out. I'll put a mast track in my 8'5" JL foilboard. But I probably won't wear a helmet. Most crashes I have are faceplants from overfolling, and a helmet increases the neck pressure of the crash--at least that's my experience. With helmet--major league stiff neck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
I hit a seal at speed...stopped pretty quick..... no blood on either end

Probably not gonna put a helmet on .. But it's gotta be pretty hairy rounding marks with 5  guys right behind you going full out         

Mostly at least a square meter smaller sail size than what you would rig otherwise....

My 5'10" wave sailing  Frankenfoil is almost ready for vacuum bagging

Sailing position is a bit awkward at first

Its pretty fun
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:39:53 PM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
just went thru the video frame by frame at the crash

Didn't see it at first, but yup.... he cavitated ..tail wing first, then just for one frame, the front wing

That's how most of the crashes seems to happen...too high, lose lift, and drop
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »
I've got a 3.3 and a 2.9 I picked up used. I tried to sail Mr. Fugly but I put the mast track in the wrong place. I stuck it in the middle of the board, forgetting that the foil is a long way from the tail. I think it needs to be about in the middle of the section from mast to nose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
A Longer fuselage really helps, and the wing back closer to mast made the mast position more traditional

Watch your feet waterstarting, and if you can clew first waterstart, its better, as it brings your feet away from the blades
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:03:34 PM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 03:44:12 AM »
I've got a 3.3 and a 2.9 I picked up used. I tried to sail Mr. Fugly but I put the mast track in the wrong place. I stuck it in the middle of the board, forgetting that the foil is a long way from the tail. I think it needs to be about in the middle of the section from mast to nose.

With your rear foot over the mast, put mast base right in front of front foot. Toes touching volcano pad.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
With your rear foot over the mast, put mast base right in front of front foot. Toes touching volcano pad.

You just explained why this Dagger-Rigged-Foil didn't work all that comfortably.

Tuttle box WAY too far back and Mast Track WAY too far forward.  I got it flying but had to torque my entire body.

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 04:34:31 AM »
I'd cut the tail of that thing off right behind the straps.....use the straps as the new rear....and put the mast track way up by the  "H" in Hi-per Tech

but then you are down to what 80L or less ?   being able to uphaul is kind of big if you want to play on the lower edge...I still think you are on the right track with the boogie board  2x4  foiler

but the mast/fuselage is right......

Not even convinced straps are "All that"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:39:36 AM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Beasho,   wow have not seen a Hyper tech since the early 90"s !   SHARP rails,  fast,  and turns not so good.  Fun to see.   Weed fin used to have one.
JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »
Gary would have a little heart attack looking at that lashup. He's very foil-savvy of course. My idea of using a soft trailing edge with camber to give a wider range of lift vs. speed is a straight up steal from Mr. Efferding. He showed me a wing he made like that which was so old the clear urethane was a nice even amber color.

Gary also understood the value of dugout boards long ago. He was fooling around with cutouts that let the paddler stand on the bottom skin about eight years ago. He and I were also screwing around with a gyro-stabilized board based on a surfski hull but I discovered in testing that I was going to have to spin the gyro to about 15,000 RPM to get the required righting torque. Couldn't turn it either without a better gimbal system. Hmmm. No thanks. He's an interesting guy to hang out with but when we get together we both waste a day on nutball ideas without realizing it slid past us.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal