Author Topic: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics  (Read 46975 times)

supthecreek

Re: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
ha ha... I didn't drink that whole pitcher, just a couple of glasses. It was really tasty  :)

The tray was cod with lemon slices and boiled potatoes.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2019, 01:26:07 PM »
no brie?

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
The adventure continues...nicely done!

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Awesome!

I'm lucky to live near Porto (North). We have a lot different kind of breaks: a dozen of exposed beach breaks that hold up to 1,5 to 2 m, a couple of world class point breaks that can hold up to 3 m, a few big wave spot, and a city beach (Praia de Matosinhos) that is sheltered from the big winter swells (and also wind) by a harbour and with multiple breaks scattered through the beach (bigger in the South part and smaller in the North part). So even when there's a XXL swell in nazaré, you can surf 1 meter waves here.

This week should be great in the SW. The swell is small and it's getting almost as warm as the Summer (but still cold at night).

Hope you enjoy it!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
NIIIIICE!!!!!  Yep, Cod, patatoes, friends and waves.... and some sangria.....nighty nite!!!  PERFECT Day!!!!!!!!   :D ;D 8) 8) ::)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »
One of your best videos!  So fun! 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
Wow! What an addition to the travel log! That session at the Wall was a keeper. Excellent edit, RickTheCreek!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2019, 10:19:38 PM »
Great stuff, Rick! Really compliments our Youtube channel. Always stoked to see how friendly the locals are.

Thanks Oki! What's your You Tube Channel? I'd like to check it out!

OkinawaWild. Mostly sea kayak stuff, my dogs, and some small wave SUP stuff. Just getting started with the camera, but will post a lot of SUP surfing in the coming year.

supthecreek

« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
I was moving around so much in March and got so much footage, that I have a lot of projects started but never get to finish them because the next day there was always more video.... much of it not surfing but just the cool stuff I saw every day.

This video is more of an excuse to use some of the "other" stuff, to give you a glimpse of daily life in Portugal.... such an amazing place, full of beautiful things.... I could do a series on the architecture alone. Beautifully interesting.

The last sequence still freaks me out.... nuts I say.... just plain nuts!

The surf in this video is a good representation of what I surfed a lot.... challenging winds, currents... surfing alone in some size, in remote places, pretty far offshore, so I usually chose places with softer break. So much of the coast is powerful and serious that I had to search for ridable conditions for me. The other break in the vid that I passed up had a huge crowd of surfers suiting up in to go... so not interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKcNGPB1J0&t=7s

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2019, 04:13:32 AM »
Beautiful countryside Creeker....your lunch mate was probably wondering which of his kin was responsible for your brie!  I detected a tad of stink eye  from him.   ;D ;D

Loved seeing the SS3 footage....bummer on the conditions - definitely looked a bit wonky.  Like, like, like that green blended color on the Sunova. Nice!

Look forward to seeing more!!!!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:15:49 AM by WhatsSUP »
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2019, 04:36:59 AM »
Fun video once again. Do you think you will go back to Portugal?  If so, will you try further north?  It seems that the surf In the south seemed very challenging and moving around is prohibitively expensive by car.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
C'hit, Rick... You ruined it!  I can't get the image of that 'death-wish' fisherman out of my head.  Uhuuuh!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »
Very cool Rick!  Hope to see more video with the ss3.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

supthecreek

« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
Whatz^^... see you soon my friend!  :)

Sean, Portugal has a lot to offer for sure and I made some good friends there.
Time will tell.
You are correct about the south... winter is full of challenging swells and conditions for the over 70 crowd (me)
There are places that would suit me much better.... I loved Cascais, but urban living isn't as affordable at country living, but I could see someplace within an hour's drive.... closer to the West Coast and out of the city area.

Jim.... rest easy, not THAT many of them fall  ;)

LB... yeah Kenny, not many opportunities to set up the SS3, but I do have some fresh footage in some fun sized smaller waves that I am working on.
So bummed... I set it up at Blue Lagoon on a big day.... no one out, clean conditions.
Just over my comfort level, but I was determined to get a session in size with more than the Kook Hat, which flattens bigger waves.
I was paddling up the face of an outside wave... just sneaking over and thought "that's going to be a great clip"
When I downloaded the session, it got me walking into the water.... and out of the water. Total fail  >:(
The ultimate "fish story"... without pics it didn't happen  :-[

This is an example of a GoPro flattening a wave.
My buddy Kevin on a day that was well overhead, but my Sessions4 GoPro doesn't even see the bottom of the wave which hides the size.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal