Author Topic: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics  (Read 46954 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
What board is that? I suspect I need your talent more than your board, but curious what it is.

It's the Infinity New Deal 10'0 x 29''. I just traded it with a costumer and it's an awesome board (would love to have the 9'0 x 26" or 28"). It's an absolutly amazing board. If you check the videos I was pulling the same carves as I was on the B-Line 7'11 x 27'' (85 liters). Smooth and sharp on the turns and maintaining all control. I really fell in love with the board. I also played a little on the nose and doing almost dropknee grabs (and I have no longboarding experience).
[/quote]

A quick search says they are expensive and popular. $3k but sold out. Not within my budget anyway. Very nice board.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
You are living the life Creek.  The stoked way you just showed up with such a blank canvas, positive vibes and let it just happen!  What a brave and impressive example of how to be.  Simply classic.

The winters over here can put the spots at their limits and saturate the mellower ones. Crazy when the surf problem is too much wave action.

As most of the mornings here are now around the freeze point I’m digging your chillin, shorts and sun.

If you come back next winter I’ll be coming by for sure. All the luck to y’a mate.

Thanks J.... every day I am outside, doing something active and learning stuff.

Ankle still mildly sprained, so no surfing for a few days.
Today, I hiked down what I call "the Valley of Bones" to film some friends surfing some great waves..... it was killing me to sit it out  :-\
I'm making a video up as I post this.

See you next year!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
Portuguese fomo has gotta be hard to handle. Heal up, Creek! That last picture w/the longboarding waiting to get picked up by that peak is buttery. My Portuguese pocket language book should be here soon!  Berlitz! have you learned many words yet?
Obrigado, senor.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:54 AM »
You're doing a good job selling Portugal Creek. I've always wanted to visit but you've sold me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
Definitely not trying to "sell" Portugal.... this area is not an easy place to SUP surf, at least for me.

The waves have been amazing every day since I arrived, but powerful and hard breaking.
Most waves suck up pretty hard at the end, so a graceful exit isn't easy to pull off.

At 70, I try to avoid hard hits and prefer pointbreak type of waves when it's overhead.
My goal is to avoid serious injury, so I can continue surfing as long as possible.

Case in point... my ankle took a hit on the big day, so I have been sidelined for days already.
I can walk fine and ride my bike, but any slipping or torque and my ankle folds.

Hard to sit on the cliff and watch, but if I go back out to soon, I'll do worse damage.

I may go out tomorrow and only ride backside, that's not too bad.... but hard frontside turns are painful, as seen in my last video.

Haven't had any opportunity to set up the Soloshot yet.... don't know where I really could leave it, so it's Kook Hat Cam for now, even that is getting ripped off my head on lip slams.

Here's what I had to sit and watch today....

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:02 AM »
Nice conditions - and hard to watch i guess. I wish you a speed recovery! At least, you are sitting under the warm portuguese sun...  8)

Maybe you should consider a spot safari east of Sagres to check out more forgiving and userfriendly waves for your comeback. We surfed Praia da Luz, Praia de Porto de Mós and Praia da Rocha when it went mental on the westcoast.

All the best

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 05:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the honest reporting Rick.  From your videos right away that spot did not appear SUP friendly to me.  Your rides were not particularly long and you had to kick out or deal with a close out.  Did not appear to be any channels either.  I agree with Timi maybe go to a more SUP friendly spot.  Either way I hope you have a speedy recovery.  Take care friend.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 06:01:19 AM »
Keep living the dream Ricky. Looks like a fun place for a bit of everything.
Geoff C.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
youre gonna be fine with those waves, ricky---youre a crafty old guy, with more time reading waves and paddleouts than many of us combined--you just had a bad break early in your sagres game--had you not wrenched that ankle, i bet youd have a safe low-stress routine wired by now---in everything but the biggest stuff that will, in fact come through there!! take care that!! but youll be fine, dude--heal up!!--i want more.....

and yeah, when i surfed erericeira, took my worst hit ever--those waves pick up serious beef from deep in the atlantic--same by you, and look at the geography of sagres.....effing point juts clean into it! hang in there....keep us posted

ribera d'ilhas, up in ericeira, is a gorgeous right point, with a reasonably decent channel--but same as all through there--deceiving--same size wave/period back home, or in costa rica, say, doesnt seem to pack as much consequence---might be me, or might be real---i wanna see what you think once youre healed and youve sorted the place out more.......

work that ankle much as possible, incl a good stretch---then ice it immediately/thoroughly for 30 mins---try to do that 2 or 3 times a day, if itll tolerate

good luck--
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
thanks for the posts supthecreek and may I suggest a good chat with the ladies in Potugal to soothe your mind ;)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »
Waves were still firring this weekend in Northern Portugal. Same spot I surfed during the week. The long left had nobody there (despite being the better spot), the crowd was divided between the righbreak and the other side of the pier (and other spots nearby).
Unfortunatly I was sidelined due to a cold. I'm trying to recover in time for another great week of waves!  ;)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Sux your injured but on the bright side you've got MONTHS there still so try and be patient and sit it out til it heals. This advice coming from someone who has SERIOUS fomo when sidelined. Charged many a day when I should not have been anywhere near any kind of wave!
It sure does look gorgeous out there. I think your Sagres wave is a bit hard to handle though. Especially considering the variety of surf that country has to offer.
  Funny, I've always been drawn to Portugal as a first choice to visit Europe. so many surfers I know have had great trips there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:30:28 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »
For the past week the surf has been amazing.... while I sat on the beach with a bum ankle.

It was small yesterday and the line-up was empty, so I did a test session.

The empty beach was perfect to set up the SoloShot3, so here's a short vid of me wobbling about...
yup, not ready yet, but it felt good just to be in the water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsetEOTYko

Chilly sunrise surf check by bike every morning: I always wear two pair of socks  ;D

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
I thought you still handled yourself pretty well out there. Thanks for another armchair surfing fix.  :)
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »
Definitely not trying to "sell" Portugal.... this area is not an easy place to SUP surf, at least for me.

I'm not even talking about the SUP surfing....I'm talking the living....and it's warm....:)

And I'm sure there have to be spots even my meager skills could manage. How's the flatwater options. If Sue and I go we need some flatwater touring for her.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:29:55 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal