Author Topic: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics  (Read 46940 times)

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Creek in Portugal - a travelogue in Vids and pics
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:08 AM »
Wow, you're livin' the endless summer dream! 8) What a great escape from cold winter. I'm lookin forward to your reports and videos!
I've been in Arrifana (a bit up north from Sagres) for a week last christmas and loved it. Great landscape, great people, great food - and a lot of surf. So many spots in the region to discover, seemed to be a good option for almost any swell size and wind direction. I bet you'll have a blast!
I'm thinkin about a short trip over there in the beginning of march - maybe see you there for a session!

Enjoy!

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:15 AM »
Looks incredible!!! Keep the vids coming.  Good luck and safe travels.
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

Seabean

• Waikiki Status
  • Seabean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:42 AM »
So psyched for you! You're killing' it as usual!
JP Surf Pro 7'6x27  91L
Flight Malolo 7'6x28  88L
F-One Madeiro 7'9x28  92L
JP Surf Pro 8'1x28  103 L
Flight LB1 9'0 x 28  106L (on the way!)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
I should mention this little bit of info:
As far as I can tell, I am the only SUPster here right now.
It is a fairly testy place to SUP surf, with sizable, hard breaking waves that usually end abruptly  ;D

I haven't found any really user friendly spots yet.
These days I prefer to surf makable waves with some water depth, since my body doesn't bounce as well as it used to and so far I am still bouncing.

I haven't even seen anyone paddling flat-water, or seen a SUP on a car.

I've never been to Portugal yet, but this surprises me.  Then again, I remember a friend telling me about a surf trip he did there back in 99.  He said he saw no one on longboards anywhere he went, and this was the height of the longboard resurgence.  Plus very few surfers over the age of 30 (I'm sure that's a lot different now).  Perhaps Portugal is a bit behind on any surf trends outside of mainstream shortboarding?  Still surprising not at least flat water SUP.  Oh well, it's on my bucket list regardless.  Amazing footage BTW.

SUP is very popular in Portugal (there's even stamps with Stand Up Paddle). It took awhile to catch on but it's very popular. It could be more popular if people weren't into surfing that much...
The area where Creek is staying is one of the least populated regions in Portugal and the people there also don't have much money and it's low season. During the summer you see a lot of people from other parts of Portugal SUP surfing there on vacations and there are several rentals on every beach on the south coast.

But we do take more to catch up than other countries (in France every fad immediatly catches on there since the 50s). And you can see that with foiling. Probably around 10 guys SUP or surf foil in Portugal and they are all starting. But I expect that number to increase a lot this year.

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
I'm thinkin about a short trip over there in the beginning of march - maybe see you there for a session!

Awesome... let me know when you are coming!

Hey.... I finally saw a SUP paddling at a south side beach today!  :)

As supnorte said, this is kind of at the end of the world.... not a "pass though" location.
That is a main reason I chose to come here!

LOTS of surfers from all over the world.... it is basically a surf town, with surf shops outnumbering everything else.

Yesterday I surfed with a bunch of guys from the Netherlands.
They all surf twin fin shortboards and all wore Kook Hats..... I fit right in  :)

My session was short, since I had sprained my ankle getting out of the water on the big day.... and it wasn't ready to surf just yet.
Ice, bike ride, walk beaches and hike is my rehab.... ok, I'll stretch it as well.

Here's a little vid of daily life in a small Portuguese town yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_bp2alQRM

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
Those white firm veins in the cliff face are gypsum. I build homes on coastal bluffs and I see that all the time. The wind and weather has naturally shaped those bluffs into a work of art. It is a very cool formation. Kind of like sand blasting wood, so the harder wood grain stands out. My neighbor, shaper Timmy Patterson (T-Patterson) travels to Portugal every so often. I think his short boards sell well there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:28:29 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Don't know what happened to Thursday, but here it is. And yes, more people SUP in Portugal (including the Guinness record holder for the biggest wave ever on a kitesurf):
https://www.facebook.com/nuno.p.desousa/videos/10217966197844328/

supthecreek

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
Ripping supnorte, nice waves!
Thats the kind of break I need to find... it looks awesome!
Too bad your so far away.

You need to build a Kook Hat Cam, it would really smooth out the vids... plus super easy to use.

and don't get me wrong... I know there are lots of great SUPsters in Portugal,
I was just saying I haven't seen any around where I am.

I love the water color around here.... like the tropics!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »
Don't know what happened to Thursday, but here it is. And yes, more people SUP in Portugal (including the Guinness record holder for the biggest wave ever on a kitesurf):

What board is that? I suspect I need your talent more than your board, but curious what it is.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:04 AM »
What a spectacular country.... totally amazing everywhere I look!
Even the graffiti is surfy  :)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
When I grew up, I wanna be like you, Rick.

p.s. Thank you for sharing that amazing footage too.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
What board is that? I suspect I need your talent more than your board, but curious what it is.
[/quote]

It's the Infinity New Deal 10'0 x 29''. I just traded it with a costumer and it's an awesome board (would love to have the 9'0 x 26" or 28"). It's an absolutly amazing board. If you check the videos I was pulling the same carves as I was on the B-Line 7'11 x 27'' (85 liters). Smooth and sharp on the turns and maintaining all control. I really fell in love with the board. I also played a little on the nose and doing almost dropknee grabs (and I have no longboarding experience).

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
You are living the life Creek.  The stoked way you just showed up with such a blank canvas, positive vibes and let it just happen!  What a brave and impressive example of how to be.  Simply classic.

The winters over here can put the spots at their limits and saturate the mellower ones. Crazy when the surf problem is too much wave action.

As most of the mornings here are now around the freeze point I’m digging your chillin, shorts and sun.

If you come back next winter I’ll be coming by for sure. All the luck to y’a mate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal