Author Topic: FSA HSA and HRA Compliant  (Read 9377 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
FSA HSA and HRA Compliant
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:48:56 AM »
As I'm looking for a new distance board, I noticed a board manufacturer had the words, "FSA and HRA Compliant" on their website.  Could it be?

So I checked the general rules:

Exercise equipment is eligible for reimbursement with a Letter of Medical Necessity (LMN) with a flexible spending account (FSA), health savings account (HSA) or a health reimbursement arrangement (HRA).

...This includes treadmills, weights, and more. Exercise equipment must be used to treat a specific medical condition in order to be considered eligible for reimbursement. Exercise equipment used for general health and wellbeing is not eligible for reimbursement.

... Examples of specific medical conditions for which a doctor may prescribe exercise equipment include obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. Weight loss plans alone are not an acceptable reason for reimbursing the cost of exercise equipment.

Has anyone had first hand experience with this? 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: FSA HSA and HRA Compliant
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
Well that's interesting.....balance therapy for sure..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 03:26:52 AM »
sup as unreimbursed med expense--love it---never mattered with 2% of agi--but hey, my new starby is gon be pricey! even zoner discounted by jimK--and, if my income plummets!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:00 AM »
Generally, FSA,HSA,HRA etc, are “above the line” deductions

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
So, here is how it worked for me.  With my high deductible HC plan, I have an Health Savings Account, (HSA) that is funded with pre tax money, set up to cover our ginormous medical deductible as well as other non-covered medical expenses.   

My cholesterol levels are now higher than ever since I stopped flatwater paddling last fall.  Accordingly, my doc has written a scrip (a letter of medical neccessity), so I can reimburse myself the cost of the "equipment" from my HSA. 

I ordered a new 14 x 25 BF from Infinity which should be arriving today.  In fact, I got this idea from the Infinity web site, they state FSA HSA Eligible.

https://infinity-sup.com/products/blackfish?variant=19211366957167

It's not all roses, if my cholesterol levels do not abate within 6 weeks from diet changes and excercise, I will have to start taking statins.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »
I got my test results and after just 6 weeks, my cholesterol levels dropped from a whopping 306 to 212.  With simple, sustainalbe, diet and excercise.

But, I've decided not to submit the Infinity cost to my HSA because we will likely utilize the full amount on other (less documentation intensive) health related costs this year.   And truth be told, since I have lost about 20 lbs (over the last 2 months), I'm actually back on the treadmill and just completed the Couch to 5K program.  So, the medical need that existed previoulsy, related to not being able to run, is no longer a factor.

It's funny how that simple statement FSA HSA Eligible on the Infinity web site sparked me into getting a much needed and deferred check up which in turn resulted in a healtier diet, weight loss and the desire to start flat water paddling again. 

I'm stoked!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:05:46 AM by Bean »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »

It's funny how that simple statement FSA HSA Eligible on the Infinity web site sparked me into getting a much needed and deferred check up which in turn resulted in a healtier diet, weight loss and the desire to start flat water paddling again. 

I'm stoked!

I know the feeling. New equipment tend to do it for me as well 8)

Let us know how did your Blackfish turned out now that you have your
dream paddle and you can fully evaluate it.
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
Burchas, so far the BlackFish 14x25 and Hydro 83 are a great fit for me.  The board is so stable, I think I could have gone with the 24, but the extra margin will come in handy when the seas kick up a little.

Dropping the pounds are certainly a factor but I feel like I can fly, almost like surge just before dropping in on a wave.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
Burchas, so far the BlackFish 14x25 and Hydro 83 are a great fit for me.  The board is so stable, I think I could have gone with the 24, but the extra margin will come in handy when the seas kick up a little.

Dropping the pounds are certainly a factor but I feel like I can fly, almost like surge just before dropping in on a wave.

That's the same feeling I had a soon as I got the 14x24 Blackfish, I felt I could have
gone easily with the 23" but that extra inch did come handy when conditions picked-up.

New equipment is the best diet plan, probably cost less than all the pseudo diet solutions ;D
in progress...

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
So, here is how it worked for me.  With my high deductible HC plan, I have an Health Savings Account, (HSA) that is funded with pre tax money, set up to cover our ginormous medical deductible as well as other non-covered medical expenses.   

My cholesterol levels are now higher than ever since I stopped flatwater paddling last fall.  Accordingly, my doc has written a scrip (a letter of medical neccessity), so I can reimburse myself the cost of the "equipment" from my HSA. 

I ordered a new 14 x 25 BF from Infinity which should be arriving today.  In fact, I got this idea from the Infinity web site, they state FSA HSA Eligible.

It's not all roses, if my cholesterol levels do not abate within 6 weeks from diet changes and excercise, I will have to start taking statins.

Maybe Trump has something like this in his taxes
that he wants hidden.

Probably something that wasn't really covered  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:06:58 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 06:43:26 PM »
That’s funny Subber, but details of any medical deductions would not be included in the tax return.  It could make for a funny SNL skit...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44:15 PM »

That's the same feeling I had a soon as I got the 14x24 Blackfish, I felt I could have
gone easily with the 23" but that extra inch did come handy when conditions picked-up.

New equipment is the best diet plan, probably cost less than all the pseudo diet solutions ;D

For sure, setting goals too, even in your 50’s really help.  My goal was to stay off statins, which I did.  Now my new goal is to finish better than 50% in my class in a May, 7 miler.  And, maybe do a Delaware to NJ open water crossing this summer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:51:23 PM by Bean »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 01:44:53 AM »

Maybe Trump has something like this in his taxes
that he wants hidden.

Probably something that wasn't really covered  ;D
Unfortunately, since Dr Bornstein (ahem...) declared “If elected, Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency”, it might be hard for “Cheeto Jesus” to make a claim for any kind of medical equipment, presumably?

It would be fun watching Trump paddleboarding, however.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
...maybe do a Delaware to NJ open water crossing this summer...

That's sounds like fun. How long is the course you had in mind?
in progress...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 06:31:11 AM »

For sure, setting goals too, even in your 50’s really help.  My goal was to stay off statins, which I did.  Now my new goal is to finish better than 50% in my class in a May, 7 miler.  And, maybe do a Delaware to NJ open water crossing this summer.

Bean, how far is that?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM