Author Topic: Surfin' the Gulf West Florida  (Read 2932 times)

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfin' the Gulf West Florida
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »
Yes you can.....

I thought I'd share the stoke for a back to work Monday. It doesn't get any nicer here for the winter. Just a great winter morning here in the Sunshine on the Gulf.

The front came through late Friday as expected. Short boarders found some faces in the wind blown stuff Saturday, then yesterday was the glassy leftover swell I was looking for. 48 air temp, 69 water, wind 0 at the start in the early morning. Not a cloud in the sky and warmed up through the morning. Clean swell on the incoming tide. It was a little taller at one point but the photographer wife was off shelling and didn't get any shots.

She also missed the smallest wave nose ride cross step ever on that one shot, I was proud of that one :)

Waiting on the next front to do it again. Maybe next time I can report on the new ride that's incoming. Y'all have a good one.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:40:43 AM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfin' the Gulf West Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
Thats pretty good for the Gulf! Ive spent allot of time in the Marco/Naples/Sanibel area, mostly kiteboarding the fronts, where are you?
Cheers

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
hey rg,

just back from naples yesterday--resolved that next time down there i will take private kiting lessons with a good teacher--saw 10-25 knots on the water, from apt at bay colony, wed-sat--need action when visiting family there--what waves occasionally turn up there wont cut it for me, certainly not sufficient to keep a board there--hell the board i keep at sebastian inlet rarely gets used---but that's another story--there is wind in FL, and i may be retiring, and have lotsa time suddenly--kiting will fill the windy non-surfable days with fun, up here in brooklyn, and in FL.

since you brought up naples, and seem to be multi-water-sport, can you reco a good teacher with good gear, etc, near bay colony in naples?

THX
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
Nice FL Gulf sesh! Always wanted to scratch that place off the bucket list. Too bad about the beach combing fotog though!

One word....SOLOSHOT! Amazing device.

https://soloshot.com/

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
must learn to kite board!!! contact Enrique Gianello in Naples, he can take care of you.

https://www.facebook.com/windstalkers

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
Thats pretty good for the Gulf! Ive spent allot of time in the Marco/Naples/Sanibel area, mostly kiteboarding the fronts, where are you?
Cheers

I'm up at Honeymoon Island. There's 4 or so different breaks here, enhanced by the beach re-nourish and t jetties they installed in recent history. I basically have this break to myself and can leave the prone guys alone. I share with a random long boarder now and then but that's it. Don't tell anyone :)

The kites were out on Friday and Saturday, chatted with a guy setting up to kite foil Friday afternoon.
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
Surftech 10'6"

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
Nice FL Gulf sesh! Always wanted to scratch that place off the bucket list. Too bad about the beach combing fotog though!

One word....SOLOSHOT! Amazing device.

https://soloshot.com/

Thanks you're videos rock. I'm humbled by your attack on the cold.

I need to look into that soloshot (and get better at surfing)

I think I know the first area you referenced in your last vid, it was THE spot on the island back in the day.

Sunova Steeze 9'6"
Surftech 10'6"

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »
Nice Scallop!  Like the bucket hat too!  I love small waves and actually prefer them far more over head high and above which simply makes be a spectator. 

Smaller waves often equals less people out and more fun to goof around and experiment with far less consequence!!!!   8) 8) 8)

Ditto on the SS3!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »
thx rbg

i wish i had his number last week--i get down there often and will definitely reach out to enrique
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the Gulf session pics Scallop.... looks like fun!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 01:54:47 PM »
 Scallop, Nice to see someone on the Westcoast. You'd hear, a few years back, about 'night paddling tours' around Tampa but not 'bumps'.  Good for you.  I gather there are surf shops up North, ya?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal