Author Topic: Here comes the Chinese copycats of the Lift e-Foil...  (Read 13368 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Re: Here comes the Chinese copycats of the Lift e-Foil...
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
I actually got to ride eFoil a few times and even got to test out the new folding prop (no prop shroud) . I was pretty excited about the folding prop for down winding prospects of it. The torque of the eFoil is insane if you gas it just laying down it will almost launch you airborne trying to do a back flip. When you are riding that torque pushes through your back leg so when you get gliding on a runner in the ocean and you take the throttle off all your weight and feet are wrong , it's not impossible to get it happening but incredibly hard . I actually found it easier with a prop shroud and fixed prop as the drag helped with stability. We had 2 eFoils this is Nicks mate in Aus so we kept swapping , the other rider didn't agree with me he preferred the folding prop.

Re the costing on these things it's not until you see them in the flesh same as the Aussie made Flite board , you can see the money. Just the workmanship of the foil is amazing , then you have the custom boards with bullet proof waterproof compartments , the spare battery alone cost $3,000 in Aus (they are made of silver) and on top of that you have the motor/gearbox , electronics and programmable remote . Anything that comes in way under these units price wise is a serious compromise and as the saying goes in boats the poor man always pays the most.

Would I buy one myself , well it's not the cut of my jib but heaps of fun to play around on and happy to use my mates for now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:37:00 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:56 PM »
I just can’t imagine anything electric/electronic surviving in a salt water environment for very long.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
It's not particularly hard to waterproof electronics.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »
How about a Tuttle based Mast, Engine and Wing with a battery pack that could attach to the deck of your board?

This way we don't need to reinvest in the HULL all over again.  Keep costs DOWN, use existing infrastructure . . .

This basically is what the Fliteboard is all in one , the board is just a battery compartment , very different to the efoil. The battery's are massive and heavy as hell you would never fit one in or on the mast , not without a massive jump in battery technology. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:32:38 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
Massive AND heavy, huh? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I wonder what they're using for batteries and how they are configured. The lightest weight, highest power batteries currently available off the shelf are Graphene LiPo which are about six pounds for 1000 watt-hours. The safer chemistry 18650 Lion cells are about 10 pounds for 1000 watt-hours. That should be plenty of capacity.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal