Author Topic: Mr. B. Speedy Gonzales!  (Read 6655 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mr. B. Speedy Gonzales!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
The nose riding king!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
That is cool. Takes me back to when I was a kid reading my brothers Surfer magazines.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »
lol...Nice. That cross stepping was almost as cool as the extended Quasi! Very cool and entertaining.

I noticed an impact vest and waist leash. I nev tried a vest but did demo Wetstuff's waist leash. It's just too much gear. Dealing w/a paddle is enough for me!

Cookie:  I got whacked by an old board a couple of years ago in the midsection that was pretty brutal so I was looking for something to protect the torso area and I came upon the patagonia vest.....had it been my head I probably would have adopted a helmet. The vest has become part of my regular gear no matter what size.  The significant bonus is the float! Prescription (SilverFish) glasses round out the costume.  As for a waist leash...not for me at this point....I like my calf leash for my B&B and ankle leash on my Creek.

TD:  Love those pics!!!!  Couldn't remember who did the quasi first....was thinking it was Mckey Dora.  Nonetheless, very cool poster.  I notice he's a regular foot with left arm forward in the quasi.....I'm a goofy foot and put my right arm forward in my semi-quasi attempt - interesting!  Gotta remember "El Telephono" for next time.  ::) :o ;D 

I love the stylish classic 50's/60's longboard moves to include the funny stuff....that and nose riding is I aspire to do and just have fun in the water and laugh each session!

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »

[/quote]

Cookie:  I got whacked by an old board a couple of years ago in the midsection that was pretty brutal so I was looking for something to protect the torso area and I came upon the patagonia vest.....had it been my head I probably would have adopted a helmet. The vest has become part of my regular gear no matter what size.  The significant bonus is the float! Prescription (SilverFish) glasses round out the costume.  As for a waist leash...not for me at this point....I like my calf leash for my B&B and ankle leash on my Creek.

TD:  Love those pics!!!!  Couldn't remember who did the quasi first....was thinking it was Mckey Dora.  Nonetheless, very cool poster.  I notice he's a regular foot with left arm forward in the quasi.....I'm a goofy foot and put my right arm forward in my semi-quasi attempt - interesting!  Gotta remember "El Telephono" for next time.  ::) :o ;D 

I love the stylish classic 50's/60's longboard moves to include the funny stuff....that and nose riding is I aspire to do and just have fun in the water and laugh each session!

8) 8)
[/quote]

Whatsup

You mentioned prescription surf sun glasses (silverfish). I have been thinking about something like this. Eyesight is ok but can’t recognize surfers in the water and starting to have difficulty seeing the sets coming in from farther out. Do the ones you are using work well? Any problems with fogging, injuries when getting slammed, or the glasses coming off?

Thanks

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
FRP:  I’ve been a SilverFish advocate for a couple of years....love them!  I have them corrected for my near-sightedness. I can surf without them but I find corrected lenses just makes things better all around.  I also have two pair of them...one straight prescription sunglasses and the other prescribed clear lenses which transition to shade depending on sky.  The straps they come with are awesome and the little rubber nose attachments are a must for added comfort and allowing air to freely move between your face and the lenses (to stay fog free).  I use antifog spray every few outing and that’s it.  Not cheap but I’m happy and will stick with them for any future needs.  Probably other vendors out there so check around.  Also search this forum...,I started a thread on this subject a year or so back.  As a side, I’ve tried contacts in the surf and lost at least one every session....
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »
Timely about glasses.
I just had an eye exam and there is early start of cataract. The doctor told me about blue light and UV exposure.
I cannot stop working in an office with computer but ordered some glasses that deal with that.
I have some Dixon prescription goggles that are all but useless. Fog right away and scratch even with almost no use.
Will check the Silverfish as paddling with my prescription glasses is not an option for down-winding and even less so for surfing obviously.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
I'm going to need some. I lose control of my eyelid in the cold. My vision is fine...at least good enough to pass a license exam but taking a fall to the face with your eye open hurts. I'm also getting cataracts, some floaters too so better care worth it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
FRP:  I’ve been a SilverFish advocate for a couple of years....love them!  I have them corrected for my near-sightedness. I can surf without them but I find corrected lenses just makes things better all around.  I also have two pair of them...one straight prescription sunglasses and the other prescribed clear lenses which transition to shade depending on sky.  The straps they come with are awesome and the little rubber nose attachments are a must for added comfort and allowing air to freely move between your face and the lenses (to stay fog free).  I use antifog spray every few outing and that’s it.  Not cheap but I’m happy and will stick with them for any future needs.  Probably other vendors out there so check around.  Also search this forum...,I started a thread on this subject a year or so back.  As a side, I’ve tried contacts in the surf and lost at least one every session....

Thanks Whatsup

One more difficult question. Are the lenses that transition with sunlight worth the added expense? I guess what I am asking is do you use them preferentially?.....darn two questions do you use the leash that they come with?

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 04:27:20 AM »
Transition lenses? Yes, definitely worth it....simple reason: early mornings before the sun comes up and cloudy days!!!  The headstrap they come with snap into the frame...which I believe is a VERY VERY good design. Here's a few pics of my stuff....

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:11 AM »
Transition lenses? Yes, definitely worth it....simple reason: early mornings before the sun comes up and cloudy days!!!  The headstrap they come with snap into the frame...which I believe is a VERY VERY good design. Here's a few pics of my stuff....

Thanks Whatsup!

Good information and pictures. Much appreciated.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »
I ordered a pair of the same Surf Rat model. Just normal sunglasses on sale to see how it goes before committing to prescription and the rest.....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »
What if your lenses look like this?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
I just took a quick look at Silverfish. The basic surf shades with a prescription $150. Removable strap another $10. Not too bad. Oh wait - bifocal or progressive? Another $150 or $250 for the nicer progressives. Right now I make do with a couple of pairs of +3.0 bifocal sunglasses - one kind of an amber brown for most conditions and even functional indoors and a dark gray for blazing full on sun. The dark gray  is useless for reading indoors. I SUP fish and knots and detangling gear is impossible whe everything within 5' or so is blurred pretty badly. I can put up with the minor blurring I get from there with the cheap bifocals.  The cheap glasses have pierced frames and are easy to cord, but not as secure as that elastic strap. But they are about $20 a pair. It would be nice to have better mid range, which my day to day progressives give me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:10:59 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:02 AM »
What if your lenses look like this?
While I was poking around looking for info on progressive lenses, I saw this in the FAQ:

I have a very thick prescription, can you fill it without distortion?
Yes, we can fill any prescription in our S Rat II frame without distortion. Distortion generally occurs in "wrap" (curved) frames. Our S Rat II frame has very little curvature.

Users of our Whistler or Road Trip frames may feel distortion on prescriptions with cylinder readings (the middle number on Rx's - a.k.a. astigmatism) beyond -2.00. (Most people are fine up to -3.50.) This is a rule of thumb however, and each person's sensitivity to distortion is different. Sphere + Cylinder should be within +/-6.50 for our Whistler frame and +/-9.00 for our Road Trip frame.

Users of our Standard frame may feel distortion on prescriptions with cylinder readings (the middle number on Rx's - a.k.a. astigmatism) beyond -1.50. (Most people are fine up to -3.00.) This is a rule of thumb however, and each person's sensitivity to distortion is different. Sphere + Cylinder should be within +/-5.50 for our Standard frame.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
Nice outing Whatsup and MrBIG!

Quasimoto and Realmoto sliding the cold north swells  ;D

Loving the move Todd.... if I got down that far, I'd never get back up!

Todd.... I've been surfing with contacts since at least the early 80's.... never lost one, you gotta close your eyes when underwater  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal