Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 4639 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cycling
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
Any cyclist out there that can recommend how often how far ?   I am recovering from knee infections associated with an auto imunme desease.   My Dr has prescribed 1/2 a day min.  To keep uric acid in my joints down & lubricated.   I have been doing this now for 3 months with good results.   I ride a 21 speed touring bike.  Im looking to increase my training,  due to my knees I only ride on flat terrain, hills cause to my pain at this point.  MY Dr say let your pain be your guide.   I usually get to paddle 5 times a week, some times waves some flat water.   Biking has really helped with my knee flexability and reducing knee pain.   

Thanks

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
I love my peloton bike.  It definitely helped me push to the next level in cycling. 
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
Indoor cycling has its advantages this time of the year for sure.  Lots of good online vids to help stay motivated. I’ve been thinking about giving Pelton Digital a spin with my Lifefitness GX group bike (I’m a group of one).

There might be a program tailor made for you Cruisinby.  I would think higher rpms and less resistance would be key to start but just make sure you get out of the saddle periodically to give yourself some relief.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
I consider myself at the next level myself, but I got bored w/ indoor cycling, and at 68 I need time in the saddle, there is no substitute, so I've gone e-bike.
Power assist is what you make of it, very little or none on the flats and gentle hills, only serious power assist on the serious grades.  Where I live, it's either almost flat, or steep, there is almost no in-between. 
I've got no cartilage left in one knee so I can't standup on the peddles and power crank w/o it hurting like I used to, so now I have to keep my butt on the seat, and then I can go 30 miles no problem, with some steep thrown in.
Rad Rover, 5 power assist levels, 7 gears, 750W power, 26 X 4" tires, 45 miles/charge, depending on how much power you use.
It takes a quiver to do that.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:10:07 PM »
What autoimmune problem are you dealing with?
What are you looking at as far as infections and uric acid?

I only ask because i have been dealing with similar things that took me out of sports,,instead of stopping the sports i got to the bottom of the disease.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »
Greg, you’re killing me. I still think of you as the young guy on the block. My 20 lb. hard tail carbon mtn. bike is still going strong. Cheers.....

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:43:06 PM »
Auto Im was initiated from a very bad case of food poisioning in conjuction with a rare gene I have that an estimated 6% of the world has.   The gene manfest as Reiters Syndrome.    Like Weasles, I have no cartilage in both knees from 40 yrs of windsurfing construction etc.   9 months after recovery from the infection which put me on a walker for a while, My new doc figured out why I was not progressing.    My uric acid levels were 3 times normal, which creates crystals that ache and feel like broken glass in your joints.
After tons of blood test he put me on Aloepurinol for life and changed my diet.   Once acid levels were back to normal I have been able to windsurf, paddle board and bike.   Prone surfing is gone.   Cartilage will never be back so now its manage my life better and delay knee replacements as long as possible.   Any purine producing foods are gone out of my diet as well as suger free diet.   Sometimes I slip on special events !   
All in all things are getting better.    I have never been a big bike rider, but now Im starting really enjoy it !  Im fighting to stay on the water, at 66 its fun battle !   My understanding about Auti IM deseases is , there unlimited types that seem to develope as we age, there is no cures just treatments and life management.

Good Luck in your quest to get back to sports.    They tell the emotional battle is a important as the physical fight !

PADDLE ON !!!!!!!!

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »
Forgot to add the obvious, ice for inflamation

PADDLE ON !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:47:08 PM by Cruisinby »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:22:30 PM »
Greg, you’re killing me. I still think of you as the young guy on the block. My 20 lb. hard tail carbon mtn. bike is still going strong. Cheers.....
Yeah, good for your bike, it can last another 100 years, so how you doing?
"A man's got to know his limitations", and I live on top of a bad ass hill, so I'm keeping in shape for w'surfing in a very fun and scenic way.  21 miles from my house to Arroyo, and back, kids stuff.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 05:55:47 AM »
I was shocked at how much difference clipless pedals and shoes make. I managed to convince my brother too and admits it was the best decision of improving his training last year.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »
My wife bought a Peloton a year and a half ago, I thought I'd maybe use it once a month. 175 rides later........you get the point, it's a nice mix of cardio when I can't paddle/kite and adding some leg strength/endurance.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
I consider myself at the next level myself, but I got bored w/ indoor cycling, and at 68 I need time in the saddle, there is no substitute, so I've gone e-bike.
Power assist is what you make of it, very little or none on the flats and gentle hills, only serious power assist on the serious grades.  Where I live, it's either almost flat, or steep, there is almost no in-between. 
I've got no cartilage left in one knee so I can't standup on the peddles and power crank w/o it hurting like I used to, so now I have to keep my butt on the seat, and then I can go 30 miles no problem, with some steep thrown in.
Rad Rover, 5 power assist levels, 7 gears, 750W power, 26 X 4" tires, 45 miles/charge, depending on how much power you use.

I have been giving thought to that because of knee issues. It isn't just impact that gets to my knees; I seem to only have a limited number of knee bends beyond just a few degrees that I can do in a short amount of time before getting some major joint pain. I have gone on rides that I had to cut short and had a painful return to the start. I can go a lot further on flat terrain. So if I had an e-bike I could use the assist up hills and make it much further and if I hit the limit I can return to the car/house without so much pain. But I keep hearing that most of them are harder to pedal without the assist on, which could at least partially defeat the purpose.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
C-B,   Sorry to hear you are saddled with those issues  ...I guess the good news: you never got either the WoeIsMe or Slacker gene.  Press on.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »

I have been giving thought to that because of knee issues. It isn't just impact that gets to my knees; I seem to only have a limited number of knee bends beyond just a few degrees that I can do in a short amount of time before getting some major joint pain. I have gone on rides that I had to cut short and had a painful return to the start. I can go a lot further on flat terrain. So if I had an e-bike I could use the assist up hills and make it much further and if I hit the limit I can return to the car/house without so much pain. But I keep hearing that most of them are harder to pedal without the assist on, which could at least partially defeat the purpose.
If you leave it on PAS 1 level (Power Assist System) it peddles like any other bike, with no resistance, and uses almost no power, your range could be over 50 miles probably.  If you put it on PAS 0 level, that's walking assist, like if you were to get a flat or something.  I use that level to push my bike up our very steep driveway before my ride, it makes it weightless to push.  E-Bikes have come a long way in the last several years, and the cost has come down quite a bit.  I only paid around $1585 (no extras) about 4 months ago, but they went up $200 for the 2019 models.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
I got an e-bike for Christmas. 
I’ve been riding a beach cruiser on mostly flat bike paths, for years.
Surprisingly, my heart rate gets higher on the e-bike than on the beach cruiser.  This is happening consistently.
So far, I always peddle.  Something I’ll ride too far and use the power only.
I’m really enjoying not being concerned about the wind direction when I start out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal