Author Topic: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP  (Read 20050 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »
This is so old; I cannot remember if I replied.  I had an issue of 'finding' the handle when the board was atop the car.  I made a simple loop of red Velcro 'One Wrap' (hook one side ..fuzzy the other).  I can poke my finger thru the loop and pull down the handle.  ' No reason why it would not work the other way. (it may have; I just remember the 'top of car' issue)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
The liftsup handle is like a lot of mediocre designs--a solution to a problem that introduces other problems. There are handle solutions that are far superior. In general, the bridged hole designs can be optimized so it presents almost no issues. Mark Raaphorst doesn't recommend his version of an Easy Grab handle for placement on the deck of a foil board--he likes them for the bottom though. I think he just doesn't like the idea of someone sticking a toe in it. I have them on the deck of two SUP boards and I don't agree--I've never had a problem with that. What I do see is excellent control of the board, the ability to instantly grab the handle, and a firm grip with little chance of getting fingers trapped if the board is ripped away by shore break or wind.

Placed on the bottom of a foil board with the bridge in the usual longitudinal position the handle looks like it would be draggy, but it's notIt's like a bridged NACA duct that isn't vented. In a tank test I suspect it would perform like one--if it adds drag it's probably close to the limits of simple measurement
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »

Hi

It is now below freezing many mornings and water temperature dropping. I have started wearing 7/5 mm Rip curl mittens and couldn’t lift the handle on my Speeed. Tried the string through the hole (broke), and wire through the hole (broke) and then took a 5 inch piece of clear gorilla tape, lifted the handle, looped it under And around and stuck it to itself. I then took black gorilla tape, stuck it to the bottom of the lift handle (not all the way around) adhered to the clear tape and folded it back over the clear tape. At the apex of the fold place a soft rolled piece of closed cell foam inside the black tape. This now sticks up about 2 inches when the handle is down. It is flexible and soft to stand on yet easy to grab with my mittens and pull up the handle. So far after about five times out seems to be holding up. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. These Rip Curl 7/5 mm flash bomb mittens are great. Very good grip, flexible, warm and fast drying. I have tried other mittens and really didn’t like the way they fit or felt when paddling.

Did you try nylon string or maybe kite string? Did you put it through the tiny hole in the corner of the handle? I can't believe there is any way anyone could break nylon.

I'm still using my Flow with the SUPGRIP handle that I installed. Works great with my 5mm and 7mm mitts. Upgrading to a better handle is the way to go.

The string worked reasonably well for me but I still hated the LiftSUP so it had to go.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:13:54 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »

Hi

It is now below freezing many mornings and water temperature dropping. I have started wearing 7/5 mm Rip curl mittens and couldn’t lift the handle on my Speeed. Tried the string through the hole (broke), and wire through the hole (broke) and then took a 5 inch piece of clear gorilla tape, lifted the handle, looped it under And around and stuck it to itself. I then took black gorilla tape, stuck it to the bottom of the lift handle (not all the way around) adhered to the clear tape and folded it back over the clear tape. At the apex of the fold place a soft rolled piece of closed cell foam inside the black tape. This now sticks up about 2 inches when the handle is down. It is flexible and soft to stand on yet easy to grab with my mittens and pull up the handle. So far after about five times out seems to be holding up. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. These Rip Curl 7/5 mm flash bomb mittens are great. Very good grip, flexible, warm and fast drying. I have tried other mittens and really didn’t like the way they fit or felt when paddling.

Did you try nylon string or maybe kite string? Did you put it through the tiny hole in the corner of the handle? I can't believe there is any way anyone could break nylon.

I'm still using my Flow with the SUPGRIP handle that I installed. Works great with my 5mm and 7mm mitts. Upgrading to a better handle is the way to go.

The string worked reasonably well for me but I still hated the LiftSUP so it had to go.

Yes and no. I used nylon fishing line. Kite string would likely work better. The handle seemed to “pinch” the line going up and down. I have no issues with the handle other than when using the mittens. My hands have never been warmer. The gorilla tape seems to work well.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2020, 09:07:01 PM »
I didn't have any pinching of the string on mine. Whatever works best. I've noticed that Gorilla tape becomes more permanent over time. If it stays on all winter, it may leave glue behind when you remove it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2020, 07:19:42 PM »
....... I've noticed that Gorilla tape........ it may leave glue behind when you remove it.

Thanks Badger

Yes that may be an issue and I’ll end up with a sticky mess in the spring........I will report back........in the spring.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal