Author Topic: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP  (Read 20070 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
You can adjust to anything, having a crappy paddle that's the wrong length, a waterlogged board with shit rails, leashes that break, and even handles that take special effort to grab and sometimes don't work. And then you get the right stuff, the light goes on, and you're a little bit happier with your gear.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
All those things make you stronger...no?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »
Yup the place that breaks is stronger. So Hemingway said, but then he blew his brains out with a shotgun, so I'm not listening to him all that much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2019, 04:30:37 AM »
I'm a perfectionist. If something isn't perfect on whatever device I'm using, it will slightly detract from the enjoyment of the activity. When I see something that could be designed better, I notice it. My mind is always trying to improve things.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2019, 04:49:24 AM »
nbd lb--and it's not like i didnt hit the ball back--glad we are cool

in fact there are clean 3 footers at LB NY this am--and it's a balmy 54f (water still 38f)--ima let the tide come down a bit and git some

my testiness may be based on my non-retirement---just now in contract with a new capital partner for my business--i'd be totally excited were i 35 or 40---at 60, not so thrilled--hope is i can gte this operating, then bow out to my partner in a couple years

hear you re perfectionism--tho with my favorite boards, i surrender to the fact that i will turn them to beaters quickly--my creek is dry, but it's got several repaired dings, and, early on i trashed a fin box--so it's one ugly old dog--but hunts so good!

that said, ive had my new 2019 starby pro 8'10" out once--jury's out vs the creek--initial is the shovelly nose on the starby "plows" a bit, so the board def needs an extra stroke or two paddling in--standing? at 29, a little wiggly tippy--wave? seems fast, and holds steep face really well--first turns feel like i am swinging a bit more board, but we shall see--no revelation of superiority at all, but it's early--seems likely ill be split btwn two goto boards--now, if cost is mixed in, the creek easily wins!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »
I get it Badger....that handle would probably drive me nuts if it was in one of my boards. Pretty sure I'd change it after getting frustrated. I am kind of surprised that they continue using them as their standard handle...must have bought a boatload of them. Bert is certainly a design genius. I'd think he would want a better designed handle. I mean, it even looks clunky.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
Winter's cool...five pages of discussion on a handle that some find OK while others object to it. I guess a heated discussion is one way to stay warm. ;D

I've got one on my 14' Lahui Kai, and have experienced the fun of trying to beach the thing in a good shore break. Having fumbled with it a bit at times earlier, I just did the "stoney" and adjusted to it...making sure I had the handle up, and ready to go before attempting the quick exit of the board, make the grab, and dash for the beach.

Best handle in the world? No. Better than no handle at all? Yes (on that board anyway, I don't have handles in my foil SUPs, and like that as well). Is it so bad that I can't live with it, and adapt to it, need to change it out, or not buy a board because of it? Seriously? C'mon now.

It's kinda like a lot of things in life, not perfect, but gets the job done. Kind of like a lot of people I know, and I ain't bailing on them or not making their acquaintance just cuz there might be (or is) a better one of them out there. :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
out front of the mist there can be big shorebreak for example (along with a big sweep and pilings, too)---but there's plenty of time to pop the handle so that it's fine for the grab

and with shorebreak, i tend to hesitate anyway, just outside the "peak", and check timing--im on the handle long before i make the move to step out, long before "disaster" or "dangerous situations"

i wait for a smaller "peak" and let the wave place me on the beach, handle long since grabbed, whereupon i run scared, if it's sketchy---liftsup? never a problem. ledge handle? never a problem.

do i think the ledge on my new starby is better? usually

otoh if i am climbing down steep rocks like, say, by the lighthouse due east of the mist, i like to be able to tuck my paddle securely into the liftsup handle, which leaves a free hand to put on the rocks for balance---three points on--one hand to hold board and paddle, other free to help with the climb--i know a guy who paddles a good half mile to avoid that climb---

so who knows? but, for me most any handles are fine, and minimally important to the boards i surf

see i am letting go of this!

hahaha   and i surfed today!

and i ceased with tail handles-how's that for contrarianism?---found i rarely used em--usually go through or over, or ditch--find that i give up less ground ditching and going deep as possible--obvi i take care to ditch away from people.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »
I can't handle this anymore  ;D

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2019, 05:16:23 AM »
Guess the level of critically viewing life’s details varies from zoomed in to wide.
I tend towards the latter and it seems to be an easier path.

I love this handle and would want it on all my boards. Has it let me down in a shore break scramble with a grain of sand jamming it closed, sure. But after finally clearing the maelstrom and comfortably carrying my board over the dunes that moment fades quickly as I glow with the stoke from the session.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2019, 05:04:12 AM »
I’ve heard that Trump is going to declare the LiftSUP handle a national emergency.

It’s probably the only way to stop Sunova from using it.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
minimally important to the boards i surf

see i am letting go of this!

ha ha indeed! 
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
I’ve heard that Trump is going to declare the LiftSUP handle a national emergency.

This could be true. Seems he can't get a "handle" on how to build the wall  ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
handle & wall = you just can't make everyone happy  ::)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
The Liftsup is well documented on the Zone but not much recently. Has anyone found a creative solution beyond replacing the handle or a piece of string with 5mm gloves on. The string helps but only marginally. I'm thinking of going from a claw to five finger gloves and using the pinky as I didn't have troubles with a 3mm. Winter surfing is fun but  challenging  enough so if you have figured something out please share.

Hi

It is now below freezing many mornings and water temperature dropping. I have started wearing 7/5 mm Rip curl mittens and couldn’t lift the handle on my Speeed. Tried the string through the hole (broke), and wire through the hole (broke) and then took a 5 inch piece of clear gorilla tape, lifted the handle, looped it under And around and stuck it to itself. I then took black gorilla tape, stuck it to the bottom of the lift handle (not all the way around) adhered to the clear tape and folded it back over the clear tape. At the apex of the fold place a soft rolled piece of closed cell foam inside the black tape. This now sticks up about 2 inches when the handle is down. It is flexible and soft to stand on yet easy to grab with my mittens and pull up the handle. So far after about five times out seems to be holding up. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. These Rip Curl 7/5 mm flash bomb mittens are great. Very good grip, flexible, warm and fast drying. I have tried other mittens and really didn’t like the way they fit or felt when paddling.

Cheers

Bob
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:30:10 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal