Author Topic: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP  (Read 20049 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 09:38:29 AM »
The only thing with any ledge handle is they hold water untill you tip the board almost completely over.  Once in a while, I forget and get a pretty good trickle down my arm whentrowing my board on to my racks after a surf.  Not a big deal unless I had just put on a dry shirt.
That's when it pays to be a converted kayaker. We have sponges. :) If I only had a memory that was more reliable I would use one every time...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
I usually tip my board upside down as soon as I hit the beach after surfing. It's the first thing I do.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
I am kind of agnostic; I don't feel the pain I am hearing  ..but, I don't wear gloves, so never had that issue.  Escaping shore pound getting out of the water keeps me focused!  I simply have to plan ahead and pray that I don't get knocked off balance with the board wanting to backroll over my wrist.

I have a deep-ledge, a Blue Planet center-bar and the Lift SUP.  Of the three, I'll take the board's bit of revenge -the last splash- for ease of use of the deep ledge.  Maybe if I was able to walk around the board more I would prefer Robert's center bar because it reduces that large crater.

...but thought; there's another answer to the glove-use issue: Velcro 'one wrap' ..a 2-sided hook/loop that will hold a shape so you don't have to fiddle with it.   It's pissy/cold/snowy, so I didn't take the time to really sort it out, but it seems to work.   (Our feral, shop cat would love to scratch up the pad for me.)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
Not to divert topic too much but Wetstuff I think you win the 'broadest quiver - fewest boards' award.

Sunova Skate XL .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
I don’t know why Sunova still keeps using the liftsup I don’t wear gloves so it really has no negative effect but the ledge handles like jimmy lewis uses on his boards feel so nice on my hands.The only plus of liftsup is you can lay the paddle shaft on it while you carry.Also the hassle of cutting it out and replacing doesn’t seem worth it.Would like to move on from my 8-10 speed but those sunovas are pretty bomb proof and the weight is not bad,moving on also cost $$

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
Actually, Dusky...  I probably deserve the 'quickest turnover' award.  There was a time when I was convinced a new shape or shaper would 'cure my ills' and let me surf as I was meant to.  The reality; "I was surfing as I was meant to." 

I was under the impression that SUP supposed to be 3X easier than prone; I found it the opposite. I kited for a decade and could lay back and power over the top and drive the line..  I've been getting my azz handed to me for the last few years.  A superb, lack of balance has been no help.  I have boards I am comfortable on, accepted reality, and actually made some progress this past season.  I'm aging out quickly, so I better up my game before I get fricking recalled. ...and, "Lord, please back off on sideshore this season.  I am not kiting any longer!"

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
^ Insightful  ;D
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »
As to why Sunova continues to use the LiftSUP handle:

Sunova began in Australia and still sells most of it's boards there.
They don't wear wetsuit gloves and..... they love the liftSUP handle.

I am not a big fan of the handle, but I'm not a hater....
it is a great handle for carrying and loading boards
It makes it easy to lock your board.
and it eliminates having a hole in the middle of your deck.
But it is a pain with winter gloves on.

The Custom 12 ft'r that RbGar is having built, is getting a "SUNS" ledge handle.
SUNS, is the line designed by Bert Burger's son Dylan, and they all come with a ledge handle.

I love the design that RbGar and the Sunova Team put together, so
We have added 6 additional 12' Point Break's to the spring container, for the US market..... and one of them is MINE!!!!

I have made sure that all the 12' "Point Break"'s in the container  will come with  the SUNS ledge handle.
Super stoked about this board... and happy it will have a ledge handle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:30 PM »
I'm willing to put up with a lot. I had a strap handle on my foilboard, but it was getting in the way. The board has a mast track installed in the wrong place (my fault) that I can stuff two fingers into, so that's how I carry it--one hand on the foil fuselage, one with fingers stuffed into the track. I just about killed myself fumbling around getting out of the shore pound today.

I get it that it's irrational to dislike a handle so much, I see the benefits of it, but I find them fussy and weird. I've missed a grab at them getting out of the water. On another occasion I had the board turn in shorebreak, threatening to lock on my fingers and take me for a ride. Why would I want this?  Glad to hear some Sunovas will have ledge handles. I like them as well as the bridge handles. I picked up a Jimmy Lewis downwind board just to try the handle and thought "wow, I like this handle".

I thought Sunova was in Thailand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »
I get why people don't like the liftsup handles, but I really like not having a hole in my board to get my toes stuck in. I guess that's another cold water vs. warm water thing.

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 01:45:16 AM »
Sunova is now in Thailand.
Here's the short version:

Bert Burger started Sunova Surfboards in 1976, in Western Australia.
Decades later, he create Firewire.
After Bert moved on from Firewire, he and Tino met.

Bert was reluctant to enter another partnership.
Tino is a shrewd negotiator:
"If you join me, you will have only have to do 3 things:
Shape boards
Surf
Drink beer"

That began the powerful and talented partnership that is producing these amazing boards today.
Sunova was based in Australia.
Tino had a factory in Bangkok.
They are both married to totally awesome Thai women.
Thailand is an insanely beautiful country.
It made sense to move the entire Sunova Surfboards operation to Tino's factory in Thailand and begin to develop the SUP line.

Since Sunova had been in OZ for decades, that was the first major market for the Sunova SUPs.

Photo
hey,  I tried ;D

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 05:07:28 AM »
I get why people don't like the liftsup handles, but I really like not having a hole in my board to get my toes stuck in. I guess that's another cold water vs. warm water thing.
It’s been around 8 years since I’ve gone from regular surfing to SUP surfing.  In NJ I can surf sup around 4 months of the year without booties and have never gotten my toes stuck in the insert handle.  Has this happened to anyone?
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 05:43:23 AM »
what sunova board did you own, and did it surf well?

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 06:48:54 AM »
I briefly owned the Sunova soul didn’t care for how it rode, traded it straight up with STC for his Flow.  Flow rode well all Sunovas imo are really well made.  After my second winter I had enough of the liftsup handle.  I’ve also demoed the shroom, Speed, The One.  Would love to demo the creek but my current JL SF is my favorite so far for how well it rides.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
It’s been around 8 years since I’ve gone from regular surfing to SUP surfing.  In NJ I can surf sup around 4 months of the year without booties and have never gotten my toes stuck in the insert handle.  Has this happened to anyone?

Well yes, I have, that's why I mention it. Used to bug me all of the time with my 8'2 widepoint. A lot depends on the size of the board and your style.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal