Author Topic: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP  (Read 20057 times)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
The Liftsup is well documented on the Zone but not much recently. Has anyone found a creative solution beyond replacing the handle or a piece of string with 5mm gloves on. The string helps but only marginally. I'm thinking of going from a claw to five finger gloves and using the pinky as I didn't have troubles with a 3mm. Winter surfing is fun but  challenging  enough so if you have figured something out please share.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any one find a creative solution to the LIFTSUP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
I tied a piece of small stuff around the handle (needs to be small enough that handle goes 100% down, I used some offcut kiteboarding line), then tied a series on knots, one every inch or so totaling about 5", kinda a knotted tail, works like a champ, I have no prob grabbing w/5mm gloves. This said I did order my custom PtBreak Sunova with a ledge handle.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:14:11 AM by rbgar »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
If you look closely there should be a tiny hole near the corner of the handle that you can put the string through. That way it won't interfere with the mechanism. Nylon string or kite line works best.

I can't think of a better solution other than carrying some sort of tool in your sleeve. I can't believe Sunova is still using that handle.

One thing I noticed when I removed the movable up and down part from the board was that the empty hole actually makes a pretty good ledge style handle.  I still went ahead and installed the SUP GRIP though, which is fantastic. It's a fairly easy job. Any board repair shop could do it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:27:36 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
yes, i got rid of my Sunova.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
i have no problem with the liftsup handle, generally--a lil bit with 3mm gloves or 5mm lobsters on, but nbd---and my hands arent tiny--i wear L or XL  handwear--now do i prefer the ledge handle on my new starby pro? definitely--but do i consider the handle to be particularly important? no, in fact handle may be pretty irrelevant to my consideration of a board to purchase.

for me the liftsup is not optimal, but works acceptably, and has irrelevant effect on my enjoyment of my sunova creek.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
yes, i got rid of my Sunova.
Me too. 

Saying the sup handle is irrelevant is a totally ridiculous statement. I wear mitts in the winter and it was a real problem. I still can’t figure why Sunova goes with the lifts sup.  Fortunately, Im so happy with my superfrank so all good.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
They must have bought a container load of the damned things. I picked up a board (not Sunova) with one today and immediately thought "this sucks". Not what any manufacturer wants. There are better handles. Lots of them. Who needs a clumsy two-part handle that causes problems when there are far better one-part handles. I've considered Sunovas several times, and the requirement to rip out the handle on a new board stopped me both times. I like the boards, I like the construction. I like the bags they ship in. I fucking hate the handles.

I get it, people who have a relationship with Sunova say they are the best thing since sliced bread. But I don't want one. End of story. No. Nope.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:04:27 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:46:00 AM »
settle down, pls--

i find handles of minimal importance to my experience of a board

i am not a blind lover of sunova

i love my barra, and i love my brand new starby pro too

and, yes, i love my creek as well

these boards surf beautifully--which is quite relevant to my experience of the boards

and if an annoying handle is enough to make you sell a board, god bless you

but chill down with the crap that my pov is ridiculous

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:49:06 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:07 AM »
It’s really not that big of a deal, LiftSup made in America and veteran owned, yes you need to tie a string thing to it for super thick gloves,,, but you can also run a lock thru it, pros and cons. Don’t like them don’t buy them, pretty simple, but to rag on about them is petty

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:52:50 AM »
Sorry eb bad choice of words on my part. One of my first experience with the Sunova was a demo on LBI in big conditions.  As the tide got high I took one last ride ended up in heavy shore break. I desperately attempted to get out but couldn’t pull up the liftsup fast enough, a wave scooped up the board pounded it into the sand and busted the fin from the base. I felt terrible but Rick was cool about it.  Anyway, I ended up buying one but as time went on I felt tying a piece of twine wasn’t practical.

I guess Sunova must have a large container of liftsup handles.  I just wonder how many more sups they’d sell if they went with the insert handle.  JL insert handles are great and luckily so is the SF IMO.  I remember the older fanatics had a lame insert handle only half of my fingers could fit in and made carrying a longer distance a challenge. 
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 05:13:41 AM »
I love my Naish ledge handle - really easy to grab quickly and so big you could sublet part of it...  :D
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 05:40:29 AM »
I think Naish was the first company to use a ledge handle. Before that handles were just slots which really sucked. Nobody uses slot handles anymore because they are so impractical compared to the ledge. Why would any company want to go with a handle that is impractical?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:07:47 AM »
Yes a nice ledge handle is a simple elegant solution and just abouteveryone has a good one Starboard/Naish/ Fanatic ect...

jimK
extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
The only thing with any ledge handle is they hold water untill you tip the board almost completely over.  Once in a while, I forget and get a pretty good trickle down my arm whentrowing my board on to my racks after a surf.  Not a big deal unless I had just put on a dry shirt.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
The only thing with any ledge handle is they hold water untill you tip the board almost completely over.  Once in a while, I forget and get a pretty good trickle down my arm whentrowing my board on to my racks after a surf.  Not a big deal unless I had just put on a dry shirt.

The LiftSUP does that as well.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal